rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Disenchantment - Matt Groening on Netflix

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

Both of those show may well have massively improved over time but they both started out great.

Disenchantment seems to lack any ideas.  There's no satire or even any sort of target.  It's not about anything it's just lame stories with old gags.  It's not even taking the piss out of the fantasy genre.

Yeah, Futurama was loaded with science gags and sci-fi tropes. I thought this would be full of the same type of thing for fantasy but it's just generic.

Its Netflix all over for me - get a ready made brand (in this case Groening) then knock out enough episodes so folks can talk about ‘binging’ and over the course of several hours maybe delivers the entertainment that ought to justify one episode

17 minutes ago, linkster said:

Its Netflix all over for me - get a ready made brand (in this case Groening) then knock out enough episodes so folks can talk about ‘binging’ and over the course of several hours maybe delivers the entertainment that ought to justify one episode

Except Groening has been wanting to make this for years.  It's something he's always had at the back of his mind so its not down to Netflix.

11 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Except Groening has been wanting to make this for years.  It's something he's always had at the back of his mind so its not down to Netflix.

That doesn’t make a difference - wanting to make it for years but nobody else wanted it? Netflix thought fuckit the name attached will cover the investment?

he can’t think it’s any good. Simpson’s and Futurama hardly accidentally brilliant 

11 minutes ago, linkster said:

That doesn’t make a difference - wanting to make it for years but nobody else wanted it? Netflix thought fuckit the name attached will cover the investment?

he can’t think it’s any good. Simpson’s and Futurama hardly accidentally brilliant 

I think the excuse was he just never had the time because he was always busy with Simpson. Same thing happened with the movie and they had to squeeze that in between seasons.

I've always got the sense that Groening is one of the jammiest bastards in showbiz who's always been lucky enough to be surrounded by brilliant collaborators.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I've always got the sense that Groening is one of the jammiest bastards in showbiz who's always been lucky enough to be surrounded by brilliant collaborators.

Not to take anything away from the collaborators who were vital to The Simpsons and Futurama, but Life in Hell [points at avatar] was something Groening did alone, and that had some excellent strips.

• Upvote 2

Randomly found myself having lunch with an animator from Futurama in LA one time. We were discussing Loves Labours Lost and the close decision not to have Zzap Brannigans bare arse when he jumps on the chair when Leela first meets him 

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

If you listen to the DVD commentaries for Seasons 1-4 of The Simpsons it becomes incredibly clear that Sam Simon and James L Brooks were the crucial figures in shaping the show's development from crude five minute shorts to a proper TV show. The amount of decisions and choices attributed to them rather than Groening isn't even comparable.

Not to say Groening deserves no credit at all but he had two absolutely incredible executive producers with him to build the show into what it became.

What season were Luck of the Fryrish, or the one with Seymour? They’re probably my favourite Futurama episodes. I haven’t watched any of this yet, but if they can manage to deliver something equal to either of those, that’ll do me.

The writing in this is really weak. The visuals are a mess too, the principle animation, 2D wides and CG sequences have completely different styles. Not a problem that Simpsons or Futurama suffered from. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gommy said:

Having watched a few, I'll probably watch this as a background show while I play on my ipad, so I can hear Matt Berry every once in a while.

Yeah seems pretty perfect for that not enough happens so you can do something on a hand held device while periodically looking over and going "huh" Was just what I was looking for while playing Picross S2.

I quite qucikly tired of the old uninspired Westeros setting. I expected them to set off on an adventure into the wider world in episode 1 and was really disappointed when they went back to the shitty town/castle.

This had potential but I have to echo everyone’s thoughts here.

The eps are too long (a big problem), the writing is sub-Futurama at it’s worst, the art is inconsistent and whoever said the characters were just Leela, Fry and Bender was spot on. I hate that Elfo has a crush on Bean, it’s an awful decision. Lucy’s powers seem inconsistent and the potential of having an evil demon and an innocent elf influencing the princess’ decisions is under-utilised.

It’s trash.

Watching this at the moment.

The writing is really variable. I noticed one episode is credited to Rich Fulcher which had some funny ideas in it at least.

Berry & Fulcher's involvement mainly makes we wish were getting more Snuff Box though.

Almost every joke is in the format "plot driving cliche" / "absurd juxtaposition". Revolutionary in Airplane, funny in moderation in The Simpsons ("Man alive!"), predictable here.

The continuous feeble 'funny' signs just serve to remind you that stuff like Bojack Horseman is on a complete other level to this.

And the sound mix is really weird. Simpsons/Futurama are basically done like a radio comedy with punchy delivery and lots of music stings, this... isn't.

• Upvote 1

Episode 2 was awful but episode 3 was somewhat entertaining. Still not particularly funny but I found it more engaging than the first two episodes, probably because it wasn't focused on the wedding which was a deathly dull plot strand.

You can already feel that 'first season in flux' sensation with regard to the characters. The king in episode 3 felt quite different to the first two.

I’m way out the loop on this one because I’ve been thinking this is really fun. Chuckle my way through the episodes and think it looks great. Just finished the Hansel & Gretel episide and loved it.

Much fresher than any recent Simpsons I’ve seen.

• Upvote 1

I had hopes of this being another Futurama, but so far it just seems a bit generic, it's missing something. it took Futurama a little while to expand on things like the professors penchant for doomsday weapons, the tragic life of John Zoidberg or Fry's feelings, but there were hints early on. 

Maybe i'm expecting too much straight away, I guess it's difficult with binge series' as you have to make a whole season and people consume the lot in a couple of days as opposed to weekly feedback and room to expand or change direction mid way though a season.

The last two episodes have me interested to see what they do next but they still don't do enough to make me be able to recommend the series wholeheartedly. 

The biggest issue I have is that Bean just isn't a likeable character but the whole show seems to be built around the idea people will warm to her. 

You might think "this is made by the guy who knows animated sitcoms, he pioneered the genre, so he should be able to hit the ground running and make a good animated sitcom straight away. Because he's been there. Done that. "

Then you think "wait a minute, Futurama stopped 10 years ago and The Simpsons has been shite for 15 years"

• Upvote 1

It's been renewed for a second season with 20 episodes. So that's the second batch of 10 for season 1 part 2 next year and season 2 apparently also split in two in 2020 and 2021. Not sure why they don't just call them seasons 1-4 if they're all in separate years.

• Upvote 1

On 31/08/2018 at 17:06, gone fishin' said:

You might think "this is made by the guy who knows animated sitcoms, he pioneered the genre, so he should be able to hit the ground running and make a good animated sitcom straight away. Because he's been there. Done that. "

Then you think "wait a minute, Futurama stopped 10 years ago and The Simpsons has been shite for 15 years"

Say what now ?!?