MattyP

Gran Turismo Sport -Tuesday nights forum races

8 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Anyone else getting disconnects, once each night in Sport race as just about to go to grid, everyone starts to disconnect. Has been rock solid until recently.

Had this once but that was before the latest patch. Solid for me last night. Had a remarkable first though: both sports races i did were without any British drivers. Thought that was a bit odd.  

Really great qualifying on Maggiore reverse last night. Was in second for the entire qualifier but managed to nab the first spot with about 5 seconds remaining. Half the lap i was zig zagging full speed between cars that were done qualifying and let of the throttle. Bigger rush than the race itself. The Scirocco in second was clearly faster during the race and i had to let him pass in the second lap. After a small mistake i raced myself in second for the rest of the race but a bigger mistake in the final lap (!) had me spin the damn car and allowed 3-5 to pass. Oh well, it happens. Didn't like Maggiore II at first but warming to it now. 

Had some fun at Suzuka in the GR4's last night. I was getting murdered on the straights in the Aston, pulling away from cars in the corners and losing it all on the straights. Surprise surprise all the cars catching me were Meganes. Also the Aston would spin if you leaned on the kerbs and fully flip out if you touched the grass. I ended up screwing up and ending up 15th.

For the second race I thought if you can't beat em...  Straight away took a second off my best time with a scruffy lap. Had a race long battle with a TT for the lead eventually finishing second but super happy to be on the pace. 

BOP is a great idea but needs tweaking. Some cars have a huge advantage on most tracks. I'm looking at you Megane GR4 and Beetle GR3.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

Had some fun at Suzuka in the GR4's last night. I was getting murdered on the straights in the Aston, pulling away from cars in the corners and losing it all on the straights. Surprise surprise all the cars catching me were Meganes. Also the Aston would spin if you leaned on the kerbs and fully flip out if you touched the grass. I ended up screwing up and ending up 15th.

For the second race I thought if you can't beat em...  Straight away took a second off my best time with a scruffy lap. Had a race long battle with a TT for the lead eventually finishing second but super happy to be on the pace. 

BOP is a great idea but needs tweaking. Some cars have a huge advantage on most tracks. I'm looking at you Megane GR4 and Beetle GR3.

Yeah after getting hammered by the Megane the night before I purchased one last night and had some great races at Suzuka - two wins and a close 2nd place. 

Actually found the driving at the front to be very clean as well, which in turn made for some great moments. Don’t know if you spotted it Mexos but there was a setting active on this race that made going off-track even more lethal than usual, which might explain your issues with the Aston. 

Im up to rank B now so will be interesting to see if I can stay on the pace. 

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

When you do sport races does it share custom liveries?

Are you asking if custom liveries can be used? If so then yes, they can. You have to apply them to the car first though, then select it from the garage before the race (if that race is letting you use garage cars of course). 

• Upvote 1

Am I missing anything obvious with qualifying? Some times are significantly faster than mine after qualifying, but then I set the lap record in the race with the same pace lap as I did in qualifying. Seems to have happened a few times. Any way to go quicker?

19 hours ago, klargon said:

Any way to go quicker?

Practice. It takes time to learn and be consistent on the optimum racing lines. It takes time to figure out which cars are best on a specific track etc. 

@PeteBrant I spent an hour trying to replicate your 1.50.200 (or something close to it) with the Cayman Gr4 on Dragon Tail last night and in the end only managed it once during the race. Quick lap indeed. Also noticed you scored 100+ points in the Manufacturers race last night which raised a question. Do they have a hidden tier within the DR D driving class ? We are both at D/S (or were last night anyway) and I took pole and a win (woo) on the Nurburgring GP but was rewarded only 40 odd points. I totally cocked up the Cayman race on DT just before (8th on pole, 16th across finish line) so my guess is i got grouped with a different tier of D ranks for the gr.3 Nurb GP race. 

Anybody looking for an easy win on the Nurb GP, i highly recommend the gr3 Corvette. It really looked like it it was the fastest car on that track, i made plenty mistakes and was able to catch up and pass easily every time.  

1 hour ago, Sun Tze said:

Practice. It takes time to learn and be consistent on the optimum racing lines. It takes time to figure out which cars are best on a specific track etc. 

@PeteBrant I spent an hour trying to replicate your 1.50.200 (or something close to it) with the Cayman Gr4 on Dragon Tail last night and in the end only managed it once during the race. Quick lap indeed. Also noticed you scored 100+ points in the Manufacturers race last night which raised a question. Do they have a hidden tier within the DR D driving class ? We are both at D/S (or were last night anyway) and I took pole and a win (woo) on the Nurburgring GP but was rewarded only 40 odd points. I totally cocked up the Cayman race on DT just before (8th on pole, 16th across finish line) so my guess is i got grouped with a different tier of D ranks for the gr.3 Nurb GP race. 

Anybody looking for an easy win on the Nurb GP, i highly recommend the gr3 Corvette. It really looked like it it was the fastest car on that track, i made plenty mistakes and was able to catch up and pass easily every time.  

I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary to get the points, but is that not my total points for the week rather than the one race ?

That chicane on dragon tail is key . The first right left is easy but the second part has a much tighter turn , you can almost do it flat out if you get it spot on but it’s risky .

I'm delighted to say that I've now finished the first part of driving school, got gold on everything and now moving on to the circuit familiarity stuff. Driving school was really tough for me at times, I've not played GT since the PS1 original but I adore the feel of the handling and the sense of breakneck speed in this. I was really satisfied with the trophy, a genuine challenge for me.

The circuit stuff is also brilliant, what a great system, I feel I'm steadily learning tracks and corners and learning to put the odd decent lap together. I've never really put too much time into anything but DriveClub before (and Super Mario Kart!) but learning braking points and S-bend timings and picking late apexes and stuff is so rewarding when you put it together. It's a phenomenally entertaining game.

Hoping to get a bit better and see some folks out on the track. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary to get the points, but is that not my total points for the week rather than the one race ?

That chicane on dragon tail is key . The first right left is easy but the second part has a much tighter turn , you can almost do it flat out if you get it spot on but it’s risky .

Well, point ranking screen on my end says you earned 104 points in the Manufacturers Cup race from last night. Again, i got the same D/S ranking but only scored 48 with a pole/ win combo. Not really important but i'm just trying to make some sense of the scoring system. 

Race was pretty much halfway before i finally had the balls to try the chicane flat out. Cayman is a bit too easy to drive for my tastes though. It's superior handling reduced the challenge of Dragon Tail considerably even though the chicane remains a bit tricky. Haven't driven it much yet but the 911 RSR also seems very easy to handle compared to most of my rear wheel drives. 

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I'm delighted to say that I've now finished the first part of driving school, got gold on everything and now moving on to the circuit familiarity stuff. Driving school was really tough for me at times, I've not played GT since the PS1 original but I adore the feel of the handling and the sense of breakneck speed in this. I was really satisfied with the trophy, a genuine challenge for me.

The circuit stuff is also brilliant, what a great system, I feel I'm steadily learning tracks and corners and learning to put the odd decent lap together. I've never really put too much time into anything but DriveClub before (and Super Mario Kart!) but learning braking points and S-bend timings and picking late apexes and stuff is so rewarding when you put it together. It's a phenomenally entertaining game.

Hoping to get a bit better and see some folks out on the track. 

The Circuit campaign is so well done. Really helps you understand the nuances of each track and is a great prep for the Sport races. Add psn Beboptopcat if you want to compare times, nab a cool livery or hook up for a race :)

• Upvote 1

My SR has hit A for the first time! Yay! I'm not racing any differently, but the difference is I have been exclusively racing in Race C dailies (the longest sessions with 10 laps). This seems to be the key, as the field spreads out more. Although there is just as much questionable behaviour, you get more clear air to counter the time spent playing bumper cars.

I seem to have settled as a mid-pack guy, my DR has stabilised half way through B and I rarely qualify higher than midfield. This is a bit frustrating, as I was a top 3 racer in the one-make races and got 95 wins out of around 200 races. Since then I switched to Gr.3/4, and in 70 odd races I haven't won anything at all. I guess my career mirrors that of an F3 champion who graduates to F1 and then completely goes off the boil. I liked the security of one-makes, knowing that it's not my car choice which is at fault helps me commit to finding more speed. Showing off my liveries is my current motivation, although in reality nobody looks at them except me.

On the decal uploader, still having trouble with internal paths, but I found a work-around. For example if you have an O, in the edit software you make it as two mirrored semi circles and just sit them next to each other. The join is visible if you are looking for it, but barely noticable and if you connect the paths you get a solid circle so this is the only way I can find.

• Upvote 2

I'm in DR B too now and have been a mid pack guy ever since I got to C, my last win or pole was in D over 250 races ago! SR has been S since release week.

Still having a ton of fun though as the racing is always close and competitive and mostly fair. Easily the best GT I've played.

If anyone wants to add me my PSN is KalidusX.

Crikey, you two have done a serious amount of racing! Good work. 

I had a few races in the b class last night and came across some right fuckers. I had a few brilliant battles, but then I’d pass someone who would subsequently smash in to me as I was taking a corner to ensure I spun round and off the track. It’s hugely infuriating when that happens and they get absolutely no penalty, and even worse when you are actually assigned the blame!! 

The yellow flag system seems a bit broken too. I got a penalty for passing the car who had caused the caution last night, despite them limping back on the track at the time. Hope they fix it soon. 

• Empathy 1

On 01/12/2017 at 11:38, Marmite said:

Are you asking if custom liveries can be used? If so then yes, they can. You have to apply them to the car first though, then select it from the garage before the race (if that race is letting you use garage cars of course). 

That's good.

I was asking if other people see your livery, which sounds like a no.

I was asking if other people see your livery, which sounds like a no.

I've seen some crazy paint jobs so guess people can see my crazy paint job too.

• Upvote 1

They do, I don't think there's a Ghostbusters version of the Gr.3 Mercedes as standard in the game, but that's what I was tailing round Yamagiwa today. I did wonder myself, because your time trial ghost shows the stock paint job even if you set it in custom livery, but it's only the ghost.

Speaking of custom liveries - the VR showroom is amazing for inspecting your work! I got right up close to one of my decal applications and could see that it slightly overlapped onto the A frame from the door. Into the editor and changed the depth setting, sorted. The cars all look so damn good 'in person' as well.

I think my tolerance is building to the VR races, I went round Interlagos tonight with no ill effects. I never noticed that massively high wall (on top of which is the start finish straight) to the left of the low section of the track - it totally changes the atmosphere to see it like that.

While I was looking back over my shoulder on the pit straight I was having flashbacks to when my uni mates and I sat around watching each other's replays in the original Gran Turismo, back in 98. We were stunned at the time. It's truly incredible what we have now.

• Upvote 2

Sweet.

Weirdly, I think even with barely touching Sport mode, GT Sport seems to be my favourite GT for some time, mainly because it's nearly solving the problem that the "Game" portion of 3, maybe even 2 onwards was just so incredibly flabby and unfocused that unless you had the kind of time I did as a teenager playing the first GT you haven't a hope. I'm loving the circuit mode and I'm looking forward to them adding a career mode that hopefully looks a lot like the selection in the first GT.

It could use more cars and tracks, especially at the low end but for £20 it's pretty sensational.

Be lovely if the decal uploader would just let me use PNG though, or at least some more vector formats.

15 hours ago, Dudley said:

Be lovely if the decal uploader would just let me use PNG though, or at least some more vector formats.

FWIW:

It may be a little over-kill, but you can download a 7 day trial of Adobe Illustrator which is the daddy of vector artwork. And there's a "live trace" option in there which does an okay job of converting png's to vector. You can then save out as a SVG (1.0 or 1.1) and it works...

Everything I've thrown at it so far works fine, you'll need to watch the .svg file size doesn't get too big.

Still feels a bit like cheating.. ;)

• Upvote 1

It's a weird choice for a format really for a console game.

I don't think there's a forza style way to share decals either is there?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there will be "Unlocked" cars you can further edit (i.e. take their decals off), I'm not 100% sure, but I've definitely seen people ripping decals off other cars. (it was very common in the earlier Forzas too till they made a decal editor)

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's a weird choice for a format really for a console game.

Vectors can get very large in size in other formats, increasing the server costs massively. SVG gives you plenty of bang for the buck size wise. 

I've been waiting a long time for a game to have a decal uploader like this. I think it's brilliant that they have done this.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, it's still leagues better than trying to make an anything in Forza, although I feel the actual editor is better in the Turn 10 games.

Once I got the Illustrator trial it became very easy and everything else I found with a search.

In short, I love this thread.

• Upvote 1

First impressions of 1.07 are good. The cars feel better, and matchmaking was much closer to my own skill group (in fact I qualified 3rd, changed position a bit and finished 3rd so it was almost how it used to be).

• Upvote 2

Stuck down with the bad boys in SR E, don't mind, I embrace the chaos! Majority of the time trouble finds me, but what can you do, definitely been guilty of occasional late braking. Really enjoying the game, I think the variety in the daily races is great, in terms of variance in how long each event lasts. There's always a race suitable for however much free time I have.

Would love to see special weekend races with something like a multi-lap Nordschleife.

Haven't played much last week and will need to find some time to earn more Milage Points this weekend. Those special colours are pretty essential for (amateur) livery creations.  

Don't know if the player count is lower or if the server matching algorythms are different but racing with the US account is not as similar to racing in the EU as you might expect. I reached C/S in a couple of days and have been racing with everyone ranging from A/S to D/E drivers every time i logged on. In the US they all get grouped together somehow. Many races are with 12-16 people at a time instead of 18-20 in most euro races. Lag isn't really apparent when racing the Americans but the Brazilians can seemingly get a boost or drop in power at random. Overall it's a bit different but still good fun and constantly being grouped with some very skilled drivers means i'm able to learn a bit from trying to stay on their bumper.