rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport - Mondays 8:00 PM UK forum races!

11 hours ago, marsh said:

Hreat stuff tonight, livery overload, ring in the f40 was insane.

The F40 is my favouritest ever car, ever since I was a kid. I just think it's unfeasibly beautiful.

It's a total arse to drive, but I still love it.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

The F40 is my favouritest ever car, ever since I was a kid. I just think it's unfeasibly beautiful.

Yep, I'm a convert. Interlagos and the ring were all sorts of amaze. Very reminiscent of F355 last night. The change to racing softs did allow you to explore the car's limits a bit more, a favour it would repay you with sending you into the nearest armco with very little warning. Got my errors round the green hell out of the way early, was chuffed with 6th place.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, marsh said:

Yep, I'm a convert. Interlagos and the ring were all sorts of amaze. Very reminiscent of F355 last night. The change to racing softs did allow you to explore the car's limits a bit more, a favour it would repay you with sending you into the nearest armco with very little warning. Got my errors round the green hell out of the way early, was chuffed with 6th place.

I don't know who said it, but my favourite bit of chat over the mic last night was "It has loads of grip right up until it has no grip at all".

Reminds me of Cycling Rule 64

> Cornering confidence increases with time and experience.This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

There was one corner in particular I found where the F40 just went 'nope, I'm not doing that' exit hard right into the armco. I watched it happen to Batmobile at Interlagos, when it let go, it was so far gone. Very impressive.

• Upvote 2

I loved driving the F40 by the end. Interlagos was great, controlled slides, powering out of corners, I got my lap times within 3 tenths of Nobloski so I was happy! Good fights, great liveries and another superb lockdown Monday night! Genuinely the highlight of my week at the moment!

And yeah, the Ring on racing softs was also amazing. 

• Upvote 3

The ring was very possibly the best race I’ve ever driven. Balls to the wall, super close racing.

That shot is just before braking for the end of the main straight on the last lap. It was like that for 3/4 of the race. 

313C50F8-F8F9-4DF9-B241-F86047097C76.jpeg

• Upvote 5

I jumped straight into Race C after our fun last night.  It's all relative of course, but the Gr.3 R8 is quite a bit grippier ;)

Regarding Race C... I started 4th in the R8, got nudged down to 6th or 7th on the first lap, but worked my way back up to 4th by lap 6.  And then everyone pitted.  I stayed out, but after a couple of laps my tyres just seemed to fall off a cliff, whilst the one-stoppers behind me came through and swamped me, especially in the middle sector.  I finished about 8th I think whilst still sticking my elbows out as far as I could.

Second race I tried the 911 as it's supposed to be easier on its tyres.   This time... no-one pitted!  I was running 5th or so before getting punted off at the tight right hander in the middle sector (a case of no grip from the guy behind, I think, being charitable).  Race ruined though as I got the punt and the penalty... grrrr.

So... it seems there are strategy options.  I'm guessing if you're suitable twinkle-toed then no-stop is the best?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, mexos said:

The ring was very possibly the best race I’ve ever driven. Balls to the wall, super close racing.

That shot is just before braking for the end of the main straight on the last lap. It was like that for 3/4 of the race. 

313C50F8-F8F9-4DF9-B241-F86047097C76.jpeg

Just watched the replay, that all got a bit Senna+Prost towards the last corners...

And this was my car trying to swap ends, the back end coming up long before the front!

PS_Messages_20200512_132757.jpg

• Upvote 2

BTW Who is Pimpalicious and why can't I get near their times? :D

2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

So... it seems there are strategy options.  I'm guessing if you're suitable twinkle-toed then no-stop is the best?

I only tried on race (in the Z4) but I didn't notice any tyre wear at all...am I a twinkle toes? :wub:

Really want to do more tonight but no time :(:(

23 minutes ago, morcs said:

Pimp? pimp is fast.

Sadly the company we keep online is exceptionally capable. I mean @mexos beat the Noble last night, fair and square, and Noble, well, I think his ability is wasted. One of those people that would be quick in a vehicle with no wheels.

• Upvote 1

I just did Race C again in the Mustang with everyone ranked B/S and driving Attenzas, Beetles, 911s and AMGs and no one pitted. By the end I only had 1/5th red on the tyre wear gauge and I am definitely not someone who is easy on their tyres. I can only assume people who are pitting assume it is mandatory because it takes forever to rejoin the race track at Interlagos from the pit lane. 

EDIT: everyone was ranked B/S and C/S not B/C.

Yeah I saw someone pit on lap 1 last night, they must be assuming mandatory pit.

Maybe that's why I did so well :(

They might have been going for the clean race in game achievement. Survive the first lap, pit and then you’re so far behind as long as you don’t make any mistakes it’s easy to get a clean race. Starting mid pack it’s bumper cars around Interlagos for the first few laps until everyone starts to spread out. I’ve only managed five clean races in a row so far.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

They might have been going for the clean race in game achievement. Survive the first lap, pit and then you’re so far behind as long as you don’t make any mistakes it’s easy to get a clean race. Starting mid pack it’s bumper cars around Interlagos for the first few laps until everyone starts to spread out. I’ve only managed five clean races in a row so far.

You should really join our online races sometime :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

I think it's because it's the last supercar before they all became computers on wheels with bodies designed entirely by wind tunnel. And then they started inventing ever stupider names for supercars as they got silly.  "Hypercar" "Ultracar" etc.

And don't get me wrong, I love computers on wheels but that doesn't make the F40 less special, it's the best embodiment of the end of an era.

5 hours ago, marsh said:

Just watched the replay, that all got a bit Senna+Prost towards the last corners...

Yeah we both broke really late. He broke a tiny bit later than me and he clipped my rear. He went off and I just about controlled it into the barriers, so I could recover quicker. 

The cars were jumping all over the place in that final bit of the straight where it curves a bit. Bloody intense.

4 hours ago, morcs said:

Pretty much sums it up for me.

• Upvote 1

Well my DR's fallen in almost a perfect mirror of it's rise, I'm back down to C rating :lol:

image.thumb.png.d6e4842956f98915ceb6d39beaa3dac2.png

I need to work on my disaster recovery. If I get punted off I seem to take 4 times as long as anyone else to get back on track. Resulting in a lot of last place finishes.

I think because I have a wheel it's easier to try to doughnut than to select reverse and use lots of steering, but because I run TC off and usually RWD, I usually end up spinning off again in frustration.

• Upvote 1

Impressively symmetrical @morcs! Mine does something similar every week or so. Some tracks you win, some you lose...

• Upvote 1

Interesting also that my steepest consistent rise in results coincided with a drop in sportsmanship :lol:

On 11/05/2020 at 23:06, marsh said:

Hreat stuff tonight, livery overload, ring in the f40 was insane.

Apologies to @Batmobile for my somewhat agricultural and elbows out approach to my driving, certainly in the second and third races!

Don't worry about it, compared to what I have  experienced in the daily races, it was nothing! 

My driving was a mess anyway,  head is all over the place at the moment.  Still nice to have a little bit of normality with our Monday night racing, thanks once again to Joe for setting it up and all those who join in.

• Upvote 2

Ugh, the daily races. I very seldom do them, and when I do I remember why I usually don't!

My latest tale of woe is from the Mitsi race at Willow Springs.

Spoilered because I know it doesn't actually matter :lol:

Spoiler

I qualify midfield but get a decent start off the line and make up a position while the guy in front is spinning his wheels in place.

Turn 1 is carnage but I manage to steer cleanly through the middle, picking up another couple of positions. In my rear view I can see several cars with red penalty flags.

Turns 2 and 3 are uneventful but as I'm turning in for turn 4, one of the following cars makes a hopelessly optimistic dive down my inside.

We make contact, I lose control and fall off into the dirt on the left side of the track. He stays on track, carries on around the inside of the corner and sails off ahead.

Not only do I lose three places on track, I get a +3.0 second penalty for the contact. He's still carrying +1.0s from the T1 incident and gets no further sanction.

Naturally I check the replay after the race and before coming together with me at T4, he'd also taken out the car that was following me between T2-T3 - again without repercussion.

All's well that ends well, though - I caught him up and overtook him (cleanly) before the 4 laps were up.

• Upvote 3

Here we have the deceptively mild mannered @GwiDan cruelly punting fellow 'mukker Fretnoise off into the dust in a rare daily race meet up. 

843FA604-B07F-44A4-A409-CA59CC3AB93A.jpeg.40ba890f1c4308e4e003b6f7230f27a7.jpeg

(Ok, ok, it was really my fault for having accidentally punted the red car in the background, who rejoined the track into GwiDan who was then pinballed into me, but the camera never lies, right? :))

• Upvote 5

On 12/05/2020 at 19:30, mexos said:

Yeah we both broke really late. He broke a tiny bit later than me and he clipped my rear. He went off and I just about controlled it into the barriers, so I could recover quicker. 

The cars were jumping all over the place in that final bit of the straight where it curves a bit. Bloody intense.

*Braked, though.

Shame on you Mex ;)

17 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Ugh, the daily races. I very seldom do them, and when I do I remember why I usually don't!

I've really enjoyed qualifying for the Race B - Red Bull Ring Gr4, but the races are awful. I've started in 2nd/high up a few times but almost always come last, because everyone else uses the RCZ and drives past me on the straights, and there's nothing I can do in the corners, and one punt/mistake they all come past. I tried joining them but I just don't enjoy the RCZ and the driving standards are pretty bad.

So I switched back to Race C - Gr3 Interlagos and it's a completely different world, even though I'm still down in C class everyone is really respectful and I've managed a 2nd place (I've still had a couple of shockers where I made a mistake, went off and lost like 40 seconds not being able to get going again).

I did put TCS on 1 just so I didn't do 30 seconds of pirouetting trying to get back on circuit, so hard to manage your right foot in those situations :lol:

Why is Race C so much more gentlemanly? Is it just because there are a lot more laps so people aren't as desperate?

Just tried the Atenza and within 3 laps took 0.8s off the Corvette time I’ve been working on all week :doh:

It’s a horrible turbo buzz box and I miss my Vette but it’s put me back in B class