JohnC

True Detective - Season 3

2 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Reveal hidden contents

Where I think we're at according to what we've been shown so far...

Reveal hidden contents

What we've not been shown but I think we will see...

Reveal hidden contents

Right, good one. I lost the plot a bit on the maid scene - seemed like the whole story was coming out in that two minute scene.

Spoiler

So you don't reckon Amelia is anything to do with it now? It would seem very incongruous. There's definitely lots of unfinished business with Hays and his wife and daughter though.

30 minutes ago, Pob said:

Right, good one. I lost the plot a bit on the maid scene - seemed like the whole story was coming out in that two minute scene.

Hide contents

So you don't reckon Amelia is anything to do with it now? It would seem very incongruous. There's definitely lots of unfinished business with Hays and his wife and daughter though.

Spoiler

I've walked back my thinking on her mysterious past but yes, there's def something that happened that Hayes can't remember that we'll find out next week. I'm also suspicious of Lucy's friend who was making mysterious wicker shapes and had a house full of dolls when Amelia went to see her and who pointedly made sure she'd be coming back to see her!

• Upvote 2

So that's it over and done with. Got to say that I thought the whole series was a real return to form, even though I quite enjoyed Series 2. 

Spoiler

I've seen quite a few people be sniffy about the final episode but I really enjoyed it. The whole series has been a slow-burner and those critics bemoaning the lack of crash, bang, whallop in the denouement were expecting something that would really have been out of keeping with what came before. There were a few lovely moments and the series weakest moment in post-ruckus doggy companionship. The central performances were superb and can see this picking up a fair few Emmys - Ali to pick up best actor awards in tv and film in the same year? Having said that, Dorff was even better, an absolute revelation. I'm glad that Hays' mind frazzled as he finally got to see Julie; it would have been a touch too saccharine. Although it did seem there was a brief moment of understanding in his eyes when he was drinking the water. More of this standard of tv please.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Stopharage said:

So that's it over and done with. Got to say that I thought the whole series was a real return to form, even though I quite enjoyed Series 2. 

Hide contents

I'm glad that Hays' mind frazzled as he finally got to see Julie; it would have been a touch too saccharine. Although it did seem there was a brief moment of understanding in his eyes when he was drinking the water. More of this standard of tv please.  

Spoiler

That wasn’t her though, right?

Not much to add that hasn't already been said - I thought it was terrific, and Ali and Dorff in particular deserve to pick up awards. 

I'm glad for once it had a (sort of) happy ending without lapsing into sentimentality, after being pretty bleak throughout. And even if Hays didn't, at least we viewers got a sense of closure.

• Upvote 1

On 29/01/2019 at 12:34, Glasgowchivas said:

I'm now 100% we've met the killer(s?)/kidnappers already and that we're mostly following red herrings

Speculation below

Hide contents

It's got to be Haye's wife and the weird Church, right?

Her murky past back West that she alludes to but we've yet to hear any detail about. Her outright avoidance of discussing her parents when asked and her constant deflection through sex.  Her subsequent success through the tragedy. I think she was the one luring the kids to the woods. I don't know why yet. I think she got close to Hayes to keep an eye on the investigation - she's always pumping him for info, then did the same to the Mum - and then, unexpectedly, fell for him. All the while controlling him.

The black guy with the one eye? He's in the frame but why? Because the Creepy Old Lady who made the Dolls herself said so. She's lying. Where did they get the link to her? The Creepy Priest who has the posed pic of Will on this wall. I don't know what the connection between the two threads is yet but it's there, I'm betting on it.

This didn't age well. Although Hayes calling her out for working him, even unconsciously, was nice to see. But I was way off with the rest.

On 19/02/2019 at 12:21, Glasgowchivas said:

Reveal hidden contents

She wasn't talking about any missing girl, was she? She was talking about Hoyt's daughter, who lost her husband and own daughter to a car crash. 

Where I think we're at according to what we've been shown so far...

Reveal hidden contents

Hoyt Snr, through Mr June and the Cop/Head of Security, arranges to buy Julie Purcell from her Mother/Cousin.  Julie's Mom we've already seen thought that "children should laugh"  and had obv convinced herself that it would be best for the kids. Somehow the boy is killed by accident in the woods. Julie is "raised" in the Pink Rooms. I am unsure if this was a peadophile type situation or one where she was locked up with a crazy new "mom"; Hoyt's daughter. Either way, in 1990, something happens, she escapes and takes up with the other runaways. Julie's Mom attempts to get renegotiate the deal and gets killed for her trouble. Same as her cousin. 

What we've not been shown but I think we will see...

Reveal hidden contents

Hoyt Snr on the television. Someone needs to be the "the man on tv pretending to be my father!" and I don't see it being Tom Purcell himself. I assume if he's a big deal in the area - Hoyt - then he'd be on Tv at some point.

Or maybe it's the AG.  He was at the podium at the press conference, so was on-screen alongside Tom but I don't know how that ties to the Hoyts. He was keen to shut down both investigations asap. And the True Crime host laid out the paedophile ring with powerful men connection to S1. He fits that profile.

I was 80% there. I over-complicated it. 

Should note I really enjoyed it and thought that Ali and Dorff were fantastic.

Couple of things:

Spoiler

I speculated while watching that there was something between Tom Purcell and Roland, especially when it was later revealed that Tom was a closeted homosexual. But the show never went there. Anyone else think that?

The last shot:

Spoiler

What's the significance? Hayes losing his mind to the dementia and retreating further into the past? Or an allusion that he, as a man, never really left that jungle; he'll always feel alone and hunted?

I used to be better at this.

Spoiler

Well, it seems like the gardener was set up enough throughout the season so that the story dead Amelia tells Hays seems legit.

This Vanity Fair article predicts the ending when the gardener first briefly appears in episode 6:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/02/ardoin-true-detective-season-3-who-is-gardener-killer-pink-room-hoyt?intcid=inline_amp

I just thought it was very convenient and perfunctory the way Julie's fate was laid out, and assumed it was a story Hays was telling himself so he could let it go.

I agree with your theory about Roland, @Glasgowchivas, even though nothing was made explicit. It was odd the way Roland was shown in a (superficially) happy home, then the next thing he's getting into a bar fight and seems to ditch his wife for dogs. It certainly seems as though his marriage ended for some reason around that time but I thought it odd that we didn't get anything more about his character.

I don’t mind a slow burn but occasionally this meandered off pointlessly. The last episode was pretty damn good but even so it still felt a little bloated. Dorff was an absolute revelation and stole the majority of scenes he was in. Mahershala Ali’s accent was often impenetrable, even with listening to it through a 5.1 sound system.

No doubt it was certainly a return to form over the patchy season 2 but I wouldn’t put  it anywhere near the same league as the stellar season 1. The best show I’ve saw of this type since season 1 of True Detective would have to go to Sharp Objects. It was equally dark and brooding but felt tighter and more atmospheric than season 3 of True Detective.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

That time shift shot where they're talking in the car in the last episode was great. 

I liked the mirror shot slightly earlier where they were heading for the pink room and it reflected their younger selves. 

• Upvote 2

I haven't watched any of this yet, but now it's finished I'll crack on.

It seems the general vibe from people who've seen it is "better than season 2, not as good as season 1" Is that fair?

1 minute ago, dug said:

I haven't watched any of this yet, but now it's finished I'll crack on.

It seems the general vibe from people who've seen it is "better than season 2, not as good as season 1" Is that fair?

Yes; it's much better than season 2 and comes close to season 1 at times but doesn't quite have the same magic about it. Both Ali & Dorff are very good though, in fact, everyone in it is excellent. You will need subtitles to understand Ali 50% of the time though. 

10 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Yes; it's much better than season 2 and comes close to season 1 at times but doesn't quite have the same magic about it. Both Ali & Dorff are very good though, in fact, everyone in it is excellent. You will need subtitles to understand Ali 50% of the time though. 

Ok cool, I'll get on it at some point. Do you happen to know how long the episodes are up for on Now TV?

4 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

No idea, sorry.

No worries, thanks. I can look it up myself easily enough, just being lazy.:lol:

Edit: it's up until 27th March, just in case anyone else was wondering.

On 12/02/2019 at 11:32, Fargo said:

Hide contents

I was thinking with all the hunting memorabilia she might be mounted on the wall. 

that would have been AMAZING

I really enjoyed Hays' mom-jeans and nice ganzi combo he was rocking in the 90s timeline. Very Cosbys

Watched this now, and like most I would say I preferred it to S2, but it's not up there with S1. One of the things I really liked about the first season was the woozy, vaguely supernatural feel to it, which was  missing from this one unfortunately. It hinted towards that kind of direction at times, but never really went there.

The acting was excellent. Mahershala Ali, Stephen Dorff and Carmen Ejogo were superb. Ali in particular was great; I've never seen him in anything before, so I'll have to check out his other work. Also, his old man acting was brilliant, he really did seem to embody an elderly man, unlike Dorff, who seemed like a younger man pretending to be an older one.

As for the plot 

Spoiler

It was pretty straightforward in the end. By about half way through I'd correctly guessed the main plot points, i.e. that the girl had been kidnapped as a replacement for the chicken plant boss's deceased granddaughter, and the boy's death was accidental. 

I was convinced though that there was some dark secret in between the 1990 and 2015 storylines, which Hayes subsequently forgot about, which was to do with why his daughter had gone away, and possibly to do with the death of his wife. But no.

Anyway overall, yep, enjoyed it.

I thought the ending to this was absolute genius, it was brilliant. The start of the series felt a bit too much like series 1 to me, and it would have been easy to have the ending follow the same format as well, with the true detectives uncovering some huge conspiracy involving a gun battle and ambiguously supernatural events, possibly with Rust and Marty providing backup. Then Frank Semyon would turn up and say something like "do nothing out of hunger... except party!", bust out a keg of ale, and then they all dance the night away to a selection of chillwave classics.

They didn't do that at all, which was admirable. When Junius was explaining the plot, I thought "this is a bit underwhelming. In a minute, Hays will pick up an inconsistency, challenge him on it, and then we'll get the real story", but that never happened. It turns out the whole mystery wasn't that weird or gory when laid out, probably like most real-life disappearances. Instead of some pseudo-Lovecraftian tale of horrifying revelations, the series was a character study about decline and decay, and what remains at the end of a long life that you can no longer remember. That was really brave, and beautifully executed. I loved the way that Hays was portrayed as being deeply flawed and a bit of a cunt on occasion, who pushed people away and shut himself off from his loved ones, and loved the way that his dementia stripped that hatred and self-loathing away from him along with his memories and his trauma. I found it almost unbearably moving when West, after offering to "crash" at Hays' pad, gives his old pal a big hug as he leaves, and I particularly liked the way that it didn't spell out West's character arc. It left a lot of stuff ambiguous, like why he never had kids and why he never married, and left you to figure out the meaning behind the extremely bitter delivery of lines like "That must have been nice" when Hays is talking about his family.

I did think they missed a trick with the dementia stuff. The idea of a detective trying to solve a case where the difficulty comes from his own fractured memory rather than a cold case and a clever villain is a really good one, and it was mirrored in the multiple timelines and the fractured structure, but I think they could have done more with that. The senior moment in the penultimate episode, where Hays goes to the toilet, comes out, and clearly has no idea why West is in his house and tries to brazen it out was heartbreaking. And the way the timelines bled into each other on occasion was great too, but felt underplayed. They could have really gone to town with that. But that aside, it was fantastic. The ending, where Hays comes so close to putting the whole thing together but is betrayed by his own mind, was wonderful. It's probably to everyone's benefit that he couldn't make that final leap, and it made for an unusually bittersweet conclusion. Amazing stuff.

• Upvote 2