rllmuk
JohnC

Watchmen coming to HBO

On 10/05/2019 at 08:07, Silent Runner said:

Everyone should try to make time for The Leftovers though. That's a legit amazing work and the only reason I've any interest in Watchmen despite loving the comics. 

Is it on amazon prime here in the UK?

Don't think so. It looks like a sequel to me. Were those squids? So potentially a sequel to Moore's original rather than the Snyder desecration. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is a sequel and nothing to do with Before Watchmen. Though that Hooded Justice scene that opened the trailer is clearly a flashback. 

Oh and that trailer is pretty fucking good. 

• Upvote 1

Irons is great casting as an old Viedt. Wonder if Crudup is returning as Manhattan? Say what you want about the Snyder film, the casting was excellent. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Irons is great casting as an old Viedt. Wonder if Crudup is returning as Manhattan? Say what you want about the Snyder film, the casting was excellent. 

I honestly thought there was a lot to like about the film. It's main issue was it just wasn't (and probably couldn't ever be) the comic. I suspect it's why Alan Moore has always been of the opinion to just say 'fuck it, give me some money - just take my name off the end credits'. Moore's stuff works best in the medium it was originally in, and there's nothing anyone can do to tell me otherwise.

Which is why I'm now really looking forward to this! It's like how Marvel worked out that you just can't copy a superhero comic into film exactly because it kind of becomes vaguely embarrassing. I mean, I know there's a lot of people who love the thing, but honestly the Sin City adaptation was one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen, despite it being almost a literal copy of the comic. Admittedly, Frank Miller has an awful lot of qualities (or did have at least - he's got more and more bonkers as far as I'm concerned), but dialogue isn't one of them.

So you gotta do stuff differently, and I'm quite excited to see what Watchmen does. God knows if it's going to work - I was watching the trailer pretty fucking confused throughout - but it's got something in it that I'm liking so far.

Which has got to be a good thing.

• Upvote 2

I suspect it's why Alan Moore has always been of the opinion to just say 'fuck it, give me some money - just take my name off the end credits'.

I believe he gives his share of the royalties off projects like this to his collaborator(s) on the original work.

• Upvote 2

On 21/07/2019 at 02:41, sexton_hardcastle said:

That trailer was abysmal. This looks awful! I’m not someone who is overly precious about the original source material, but this looks absolutely terrible in every way imaginable. 

Yep, looks awful.  Not a patch on the film, let alone the comic 

Just double checking that the only way to currently watch The Leftovers is piracy or buying it? Doesn't appear to be on any streaming services any more. 

7 hours ago, Mugman said:

Just double checking that the only way to currently watch The Leftovers is piracy or buying it? Doesn't appear to be on any streaming services any more. 

Sky have the rights I believe but they don't be showing it anymore.

“Why would they start this shit up again?”

I'm in complete agreement, gruff character actor man. Looks more like a Dark Knight series than a Watchmen series, and it looks very generic in the way that it resembles a lot of other tv series that take genre stories and do them in a very self-consciously serious and gritty style because they’re Mature Televisual Graphic Novels, but at least it’s different to the original comic, I suppose.