rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

What happened with Zlatan with Man Utd in the end, anyway? I thought his injuries meant he was done and dusted, then he scores that stupid thing 5 minutes into his LA Galaxy debut! Did he even play in the Prem this season?

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

Me neither. I thought it was over after the Chelsea City game. It's only really Arsenal who has mastered late season last game table position reversing. My only hope is that Chelsea don't nab Tuchel. He's signed with a club other than Bayern but it could be PSG. Don't know why anyone would choose PSG or Chelsea over Bayern, except it being a new different challenge for him. 

Raphael Honegstein seemed to think he's joining Chelsea or PSG on last week's TFS, with the latter the more likely destination.

Pardew sacked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43183688

West Bromwich Albion have parted company with manager Alan Pardew after eight successive league defeats.

The 56-year-old was appointed on 29 November after the Baggies sacked Tony Pulis following a run of 10 Premier League games without a victory.

A 2-1 defeat at home to Bournemouth on Saturday left Albion 10 points from safety with six games left.

First-team coach Darren Moore will take charge of first-team affairs "until further notice", the club said.

Things must be bad if they didn't even wait until the end of the season. 

:lol:

Still won't have the decency to go down with his clubs though.

• Upvote 1

A 2-1 defeat at home to Bournemouth on Saturday left Albion 10 points from safety with six games left. 

Could have been worse.  They usually confuse us with Barnsley.

• Upvote 1

Pardew got so much longer than he should have at Palace as he was "one of us" and our chairman has a bit of a soft spot for ex-players, he was abysmal for the last 12 months though and wouldn't have it that any of it was his fault.

Someone on Palace site I frequent pointed out his win record:

6 out of 38 before he got the sack at Palace
1 out of 18 for WBA

7 out of 56 - 12.5% 

5.6% win ratio with West Brom.

How anyone could consider giving him another job after that I don't know, but he'll probably end up with a Championship club.

He did do a good job at Reading and then West Ham before he got sacked for banging Roy Carroll’s wife. Had a good 12 month spell at Newcastle but is mainly living off past successes these days. 

To be fair, if it looks like Pulis can't keep you up then you should probably just accept your fate.

Problem wasn't that Pulis wasn't going to keep them up, it was that no-one was willing to keep paying money to see him do it.

5 hours ago, Kelthink said:

What happened with Zlatan with Man Utd in the end, anyway? I thought his injuries meant he was done and dusted, then he scores that stupid thing 5 minutes into his LA Galaxy debut! Did he even play in the Prem this season?

He looked well off the pace whenever he played for us this season. Coming on late in an MLS game, particularly an intense derby, is always going to be a bit of a different story though. His technical ability and vision (which is pretty much what the first goal was all about) will never leave him, and the marking out there leaves a lot to be desired. He will just keep ghosting into space and score goals for fun, I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Why are Champions League knock out games on at the same time? And not one at say 6pm, the other 8pm? 

They are from next season. 

Bit shit for UK fans really, 6pm kick off is bit early to be able to comfortably finish work and get in your seat for kick off for anyone working a 9-5. Not to mention to get tanked up too.

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Why are Champions League knock out games on at the same time? And not one at say 6pm, the other 8pm? 

Because fans actually need time to get to the game.

• Upvote 3

Dybala sent off as well. The tie is over in the first leg and I'm only watching this game because I assumed Sevilla would get battered by Bayern.

8 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Poor old Buffon, he's never going to win the Champions League.

Given he's played for Juve since 2001, he's not won a single European title with them and I find that quite surprising. He has won the UEFA cup but with Parma. He has also never scored a goal. 

That Ronaldo goal was really special.  Sometimes, with volleys like that, they only look good once you've seen it from a different angle in slow motion but it was one of those WOW goals in real time. The Juve fans applauding it was a nice touch. I've seen that once or twice before as a spectator and I've clapped an away team goal before but I've not seen it in a game of this magnitude. 

His first was pretty special, too.

His movement, that finish. He's a machine.

• Upvote 2

That Ronaldo overhead kick is absolute fucking poetry. It's a thing of beauty, a work of art. It reminds you why we watch this stupid game.

He's no Ashley Barnes though.

Steve McMananaman:  "The away fans are applauding an opposition player.  I've never seen or heard of that before."

Old Trafford, 2003, the United fans applauding off Fat Ronaldo after he was an unstoppable force on his way to a hattrick.  I'm surprised you don't remember it Steve, because you bloody played in the match.

• Upvote 2

Just now, feltmonkey said:

He's no Ashley Barnes though.

Who is?  Apart from Ashley Barnes, obviously.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Poor old Buffon, he's never going to win the Champions League.

I guess he'll just have to make go with the millions in the bank, umpteen Serie A titles and World Cup winners medal. 

What a goal. He’s some player and despite his goal drought at the start of the season he just keeps coming back. 

Messi and Ronaldo both in the same era is something we may never see again. Long may they continue to wow us! 

25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Steve McMananaman:  "The away fans are applauding an opposition player.  I've never seen or heard of that before."

Old Trafford, 2003, the United fans applauding off Fat Ronaldo after he was an unstoppable force on his way to a hattrick.  I'm surprised you don't remember it Steve, because you bloody played in the match.

To be fair, he mentioned it a few moments later.