Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

@milko

I'm still slightly disappointed that this somewhat bizarre plan was not put in place:

tottenhamstadium.jpg

I remember reading about it and then looking forward to the madness of you playing in three quarters of a stadium for a season. I imagine it would've been quite difficult logistically though.

If you squint, it looks like an Eskimo putting on a coat.

On 08/06/2018 at 21:08, milko said:

Just about any aspect of responsibility there seems mind-bogglingly complex to me. I suppose there must be very robust procedures and delegation. Any site like this is pretty well locked down and requires PPE and all that, but the coordination needed to have work taking place that doesn't get in the way or endanger other things, all the different companies in there doing their stuff. Hats off to whoever does that, when I'm in the green zone and able to remove it that is.

It's actually really simple and nothing ever goes wrong

*eye twitch*

I had an Audible freebie so I picked up Daniel Storeys book 'Gazza in Italy'. It's the story of Paul Gascoignes years in Italy. It's only 2 and a half hours long and it's really good. Lots of great memories from those years and some sad times as well. It's narrated by James Richardson so it's like listening to an old episode of Gazzetta Football Italia.

Definitely recommended. 

• Upvote 1

Just read this headline:

Paris St-Germain need to sell 60m euros worth of players to meet FFP rules

Players? As in plural. Surely in today's  market 60m is one player. Most  likely Cavani. 

Surely the move to PSG was always transparently a way to get to Madrid from Barca whilst amassing as much money as possible in the process?

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/720651

fixtures are out, nice start for Arsenal, City at home then Chelsea away - still post a world cup the squads will be all over the place so makes these games a bit more random

transfer window will be shut before the first game though

On 08/06/2018 at 23:37, milko said:

I'm sure it's overrun for all sorts of reasons including that - I mean, you must write some of that into your planning for a start, but there were legal issues delaying loads of it for one thing. Once it was late starting they ran all sorts of things concurrently that originally weren't, I'm sure it's impossible to do in 'textbook' fashion.

On 08/06/2018 at 19:31, Adrock said:

In my experience there isn't much coordination on any big job, which is exactly why the stadium has overrun. It's usually chaos.

I know a couple of guys currently working there and they've said exactly what I just said.

Somewhere somebody must have a "risk register" (probably the Spurs board) which outlined various possibilities and whether the risk was acceptable.  Overrunning must be always near the top of this so often there'll always be a contingency plan for it.

13 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Somewhere somebody must have a "risk register" (probably the Spurs board) which outlined various possibilities and whether the risk was acceptable.  Overrunning must be always near the top of this so often there'll always be a contingency plan for it.

The contingency for overrunning in my experience has been the introduction of shifts and flooding the site with labour.

If you have any experience in construction you'll know the majority of agency staff are either bad at their jobs or are chancers. That's my experience anyway.

It will probably be finished on time for the Liverpool match but it'll cost them.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/720651

fixtures are out, nice start for Arsenal, City at home then Chelsea away - still post a world cup the squads will be all over the place so makes these games a bit more random

Wasn't there uproar a few weeks back about the fixture caveat of the top clubs not meeting each other on the first or last day of the season? Has that quietly been shelved? Or are Arsenal no longer important enough? ^_^