Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

Monster Hunter will finally not look a decade old as it's getting its first contemporary HD entry with Monster Hunter World, coming to PS4 and Xbox One in early 2018. A PC version will follow.

Revealed at Sony's E3 press conference moments ago, Monster Hunter World looks a lot like the series always has, only with much, much better graphics.

Furthermore, it adds grappling hooks! It's a little unclear how they'll work (can you use them anywhere or just specific marked points?), but it looks cool regardless.

One thing we don't know is whether this impending entry will contain a seamless world, or if it will stick to the separated arena structure that's been a staple of the franchise since its inception.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

Monster Hunter will finally not look a decade old

Fuck off with this "journalism'. Where was this quote from, @Yoshimax

The animations are identical. 

Can't wait for all the newbies to pick this up... 

"wait, what do you mean there's no lock on?!"

"eh, no health bars?"

"this is impossible / shit". 

"Omg I looooove it now!"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lookes glorious. I see they've added stealth, camouflage and ways to track the monsters using Witcher vision. Cool!

Day one. But also getting MH XX on switch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, let's all celebrate Capcom gutting everything that makes Monster Hunter truly special to appeal to the lowest common denominator gamer. Stealth, QTEs, Witcher senses, open world - let's rejoice that they've poured massive amounts of money and effort not into a beautiful next gen version of our glorious and dearly unique franchise, but into the most generic reimagining possible.

The rumour was true. Fuck everything.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Yes, let's all celebrate Capcom gutting everything that makes Monster Hunter truly special to appeal to the lowest common denominator gamer. Stealth, QTEs, Witcher senses, open world - let's rejoice that they've poured massive amounts of money and effort not into a beautiful next gen version of our glorious and dearly unique franchise, but into the most generic reimagining possible.

You can't tell how much they've gutted it. It looks like a hd version of monster hunter. They've added some more stuff in to update the now 15 year old franchise, like stealth, tracking and camouflage - all things that make sense, given the nature of the game. Now, whether those things will add to the game or detract from it, I don't know. But I know it's too early to say it's been gutted from a trailer that looked very much like monster hunter. 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I didn't see any QTEs in that trailer, were they on show at the conference? Also, mounting is already a QTE, so it's not really like they're a new thing. The stealth looks like it can be cast aside, because there's no way I wouldn't have killed every one of that herd. Witcher senses are unnecessary, but handy for newcomers. 

I get that you love MH, but this looks like a possible needed evolution for the series to finally be accepted in the West. Maybe staying up late made you grumpy, because as a fan I'm personally completely ready to trust Capcom on this. Out of all developers, they are the ones most likely to just do their own thing and push what they feel a game needs above any other factor.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Never change, bro! :D

I think negging those who say it looks good is  a bit harsh! You've made big judgements on a single trailer.. Could I offer my take on things to calm your fury? 

First of all, where were the QTEs? It looked to me like standard mount attack stuff, but with some added grapple hook. There also seemed to be some environmental 'weapons' too (eg he pulls down a lot of loose rock onto the monster).. Are you presuming those are scripted? What if in general, 'environment traps' are a thing for us to explore/find for ourselves?

Second,  'Witcher senses'. Though I didn't like the presentation of it (weird twinkles, Wtf) it looked more like the player was collecting bits of dung / evidence on the way.. Perhaps it was a side / type of quest, I think (hope!) the whole game will not be just about following that twinkle! 

I don't agree that trying out open world is a bad thing either. I doubt it'll be BOTW scale, you know? That bit towards the end, when he fires the flare, I'm presuming that's some kind of summon / help request.  The idea of that is so cool to me! If I have to literally call for help while on adventures, that really appeals to me! 

Stealth looks like it could add a bit of variation to tactics / things to mess with, I really liked that he made his own costume (perhaps the dung etc he collected contributed to the disguise effectiveness?). 

In the main it looks a lot like Monster Hunter.  I think it's fair to be cautious, but to outright dismiss it / get frustrated seems a bit like a waste of energy at this stage! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CheekyLee said:

I didn't see any QTEs in that trailer, were they on show at the conference? Also, mounting is already a QTE, so it's not really like they're a new thing. The stealth looks like it can be cast aside, because there's no way I wouldn't have killed every one of that herd. Witcher senses are unnecessary, but handy for newcomers. 

I get that you love MH, but this looks like a possible needed evolution for the series to finally be accepted in the West. Maybe staying up late made you grumpy

I didn't stay up late. I woke up to the news of this bereavement.

The fact that they're trying to appeal to Western gamers first, even putting it on Xbox One rather than Switch or 3DS or mobile, is a worrying sign. Fuck knows how Japan is going to react to this - you know, the people who actually generated all the money Capcom is now using to make this abomination.

• Downvote 2

I will reserve my judgment until we see more gameplay, has potential but that trailer was lacking in Monster Hunters goofy humour which is a big part of it for me. Looked like swimming is back so thats good. But where are the cats!??!?!

I'm interested, but very hesitant.  Building a new pc at Christmas, so will definitely pic this up for the PC. But XX is more likely to be my main monhun, due to the portability 

That trailer is very much monster hunter. There is more traditional stuff in the trailer than there is new stuff, from a gameplay perspective. 

If the game is open world, there needs to be some way of finding the monsters instead of just running to random areas in the hope it's just stood there, like you do in the normal games. The stealth and camouflage could offer some interesting gameplay twists. Everything else shown was pure monster hunter. 

The flare thing, according to kotaku's preview, is essentially you pinging out for assistance, which is cross-country between the west and Japan, so people can drop in/out to help you on tough hunts. 

Just now, Melon_Bread said:

I will reserve my judgment until we seemire gameplay, has potential but that trailer was lacking in Monster Hunters goofy humour which is a big part of it for me. Looked like swimming is back so thats good. But where are the cats!??!?!

... WHERE ARE THE CATS!

2 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Not sure about the attack in titan grapple either, but cats???!?!

How's it any different/worse than jumping on them like you can in 4 onwards? I also liked using the environment to block/damage the monster. 

What that trailer told me is I will have more options on hunts, not less. Now, if a trailer or preview comes out where they explicitly state they're removing stuff, then I'll get up in arms. Until then, I'm optimistic. 

Just catching up on the show. Like others I'll need to see some more footage but that just looked bad. People saying it's the best looking version, when it looks worse than the Wii U version because that had colour and a sense of style to go with the HDs. Really hate the muted colour palette, it looked like a Chinese knock off but I hope it's good.

6 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I only play Monster Hunter on the PS2 or PSP not these abominations on the  3DS or WiiU that added things and made it casual. 

The thing that really bothers me is the lack of portability. How am I supposed to rack up 100+ hours solely on the TV at home?

13 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

How's it any different/worse than jumping on them like you can in 4 onwards? I also liked using the environment to block/damage the monster. 

What that trailer told me is I will have more options on hunts, not less. Now, if a trailer or preview comes out where they explicitly state they're removing stuff, then I'll get up in arms. Until then, I'm optimistic. 

Just made it look like mounting was too easy, no longer needed to pick your spot and leap onto the monster. Obv not played it so probably wrong, I am more concerned about the lack of quirkiness in the trailer.

So the original 4Chan leak got MHXX on Switch right, next gen Monster Hunter on PS4/PC right (although not Xbox One) and gave these terrifying details on the game, remember?

- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.

- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance).

- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan.

-  MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

Seems they're actually listening to people like this.

I too eagerly await more quest based gameplay, but it's sounding like quests may not even be in the game.

I was disturbed to see the lack of the "ohshitohshitohshit" run when the monster was chasing him, yeah, but at the end he busted out the cooking spit which gave me hope! 

I bet the grapple will have certain conditions in which it can/can't be used to prevent spam.