Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

Please help, I've just started, doing the first mission and I have 1 more Jagra to kill but I can't find any, I'm just running round in circles in their area?

I’ve decided I’m OK with all the changes they’ve made apart from infinite whetstones, which is a Step Too Far. And that is the hill I will die on. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

We've already seen how far they're willing to push this with Resident Evil so it's not without precedent. 

Resi barely managed a single console generation before they ruined it by completely shifting genre from horror avoidance game to third person shooter; MonHun managing two generations before becoming a bit more open and undergoing quality of life changes seems positively tame by comparison. 

55 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I'm not attacking you or your opinion, but the truth of the matter is; Monster Hunter has been stuck in its archaic ways for too long. Purists like yourself will always cling on to the past, but the game and the franchise needed a serious kick up the arse. And here we are, for better or worse.

I've been gunning for a modernised PS4/current gen console version for years, and am fully on board with so-called QOL changes to menu navigation, in-game wikis etc (in fact, I don't think they've gone far enough with some of this, particularly the unintuitive online/multiplayer hub system), but I think many of Monster Hunter's archaisms were in fact astute design choices rather limitations of old technology requiring repair. I believe you used to think so too, so either you've changed your mind or you're quietly or wilfully overlooking a few things you'd rather were different (as demonstrated by your 'Making weapons is permanent! No refunds! Essence of Monster Hunter! Wait, what? Oh, ok, well, it's not that essential' about-turn within a few minutes). All of this is, of course, subjective, which is why it's interesting to discuss and critique, without being told, for example, to get off your high horse or that you have a multiple personality disorder. :)

I didn't 180° within two replies, it was merely playful banter that can be easily read the wrong way. Tone doesn't translate well to forum messages.

I will stand firm to my last post that said for better or worse the series needed a refresh. Whether they still release the tried & tested portable versions after this remains to be seen, but given the sales over its lifetime it'd be foolish not to.

End of the day its all about whether you're enjoying the game (and the fact it exists), niggles/memories/wishlists aside.

25 minutes ago, Minion said:

Ok I found their nest again and completed it but my god am I confused, it doesn't help that I am seriously tired I guess.

Without ruining anything to come, if you press circle on any footprints or mucus or feathers or whathaveyou, you'll gradually be able to track monsters better as your scout flies learn the scent, etc. The first time you are due to hunt something new down, though, you are usually going to be exploring the environment a bit, looking for clues and footprints. You know, like a Monster Hunter. After a while, you'll also get to the know where they tend to hang out, where they're make their nest, which other monsters they tend to avoid and the like. 

• Upvote 1

Curious to know what you long time MH fans feel has been lost with this iteration? Is it the grind? Or is it too easy now? I've found it too easy so far and I'm 17 hours in, I've only fainted twice or something. In PSP monster hunter I would die so many times from just the first big monster, but then part of that is I didn't have the game knowledge about using traps etc.

I remember stuff like getting potions, whetstones etc used to be an awful, tedious grind. That was a large part down to the really long loading screens and lack of multiplayer though. I much prefer this where you pick up stuff as you do other hunts, though to me it feels too simple to get the basics, like I never have to to out of my way for herbs, mushrooms, ammo, etc, in fact I can already grow some of that back at base! They may have gone too far in the other direction for some of these things, where you don't feel much satisfaction from crafting or prepping for big hunts. Though I haven't played any of the ps2/ps3 games to compare.

32 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I will stand firm to my last post that said for better or worse the series needed a refresh. Whether they still release the tried & tested portable versions after this remains to be seen, but given the sales over its lifetime it'd be foolish not to.

It needed a refresh, or a kick up the arse, as you said before, for sure. I'm with you on that.

I'm not sure where this notion comes from, though, of Monster Hunter being its own 'tried and tested' thing on portables, and World being some wild new love affair with consoles, when every portable version of Monster Hunter except MH4 (and the XX spin off) was just a port of its original console version with extra content (port-able indeed!). Just because they sold well in Japan? If anything, Monster Hunter being on PS4 is a welcome return to series tradition, after the left-field abomination of portable-only MH4. ;)

1 hour ago, Mafro said:

Loved that armour. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed overall in the armour and weapon designs in this game compared to 3U, 4U and Generations. Can't put my finger on what it is about the new stuff I don't like as much.

For me I miss the bright colours of previous iterations that really made different armour sets really stand out. It kinda looks washed out to me now. I don’t see someone else’s armour and think wow I need that. 

I’m guessing with the addition of Deviljho in the spring update that will bring G rank too, since he has parts required for G rank upgrades usually in terms of your overall attack and Defense rating. 

5 minutes ago, spanx said:

Ok, hit my first “OMG this is a bast” monster - the Tobi-Kadachi. Any tips?

I found him pretty tricky, too. I'm no expert but it certainly helped to watch out for his tells to avoid the electric charge. When he climbs trees, I made sure to quickly lock on and unlock to get my bearings to dive in good time. If you have any thunder resist armour, obviously that'll help too but possibly not at this point. Make sure you're not in the minus points, though. Every little helps. 

1 hour ago, Mafro said:

Loved that armour. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed overall in the armour and weapon designs in this game compared to 3U, 4U and Generations. Can't put my finger on what it is about the new stuff I don't like as much.

Yeah, I understand that. I'm disappointed that every monster is basically a dinosaur or dragon of some description. I liked in 4 where there were giant spiders, beetle things, monkeys etc. Gave it a bit of variety and they were super fun to fight. MHW in comparison lacks variety, which translates as well into the armour and weapons. None of the hunting horns I've looked at are great looking - most they're all a variation on the same bone design.

8 minutes ago, Minion said:

Do I hurt Pedro the Palico when I hit him during combat?

Nope. You can knock people about but there is no damage caused. Sometimes its beneficial - hitting players out of movement impairment effects like sleep.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

It needed a refresh, or a kick up the arse, as you said before, for sure. I'm with you on that.

I'm not sure where this notion comes from, though, of Monster Hunter being its own 'tried and tested' thing on portables, and World being some wild new love affair with consoles, when every portable version of Monster Hunter except MH4 (and the XX spin off) was just a port of its original console version with extra content (port-able indeed!). Just because they sold well in Japan? If anything, Monster Hunter being on PS4 is a welcome return to series tradition, after the left-field abomination of portable-only MH4. ;)

Is World the first time they've built the game from scratch since the original PS2 release?

26 minutes ago, wev said:

Is World the first time they've built the game from scratch since the original PS2 release?

Well, no one can speak for the development team, who'd probably say no, but it's pretty clear this is the most significant from-the-ground-up overhaul since the series began.

I'm on board with the majority of the onboarding changes, because most of it isn't really changing anything fundamental and is instead just refining some of the pathways.What puzzles me is the things they've chosen not to explain, like most of the "How the fuck do I play multiplayer?" stuff. Forcing people into an online session without explaining the premise might make some nervous, especially since the first time they try to join someone else's quest they'll probably be told they're not able to. But, this is very much the Japanese way of doing online, and it's pretty tough to convince an entire country to change its mindset.

The other one that I wasn't even sure was still in the game is Loadouts. I usually have a bunch of different armour sets with certain skills dependent on what I'm hunting, or so I can play with friends at muiltiple levels, and always have a Default Hunting item set alongside a Capture set and a Gathering set. (No real need for the Gathering set any more, though.) Yes, they are there, but I had to look for how to register them. Unless I have now simply read so many tutorials that I no longer remember any of them...

Finally, I do think some of the armours have lost some of their character, and a large part of that may be down to how the monsters look to be mostly the same archetypes. Things look a little better when it gets to High Rank with the α and β variants, and as this is an offshoot of no longer needing Blademaster and Gunner specific armour then I'll let it slide. Besides, who knows what else they're going to bring in DLC? Some of the more colourful beasts would certainly be welcomed by me, and there's no doubt that they'll keep on doing the themed quests they've always done. 

14 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I'm on board with the majority of the onboarding changes, because most of it isn't really changing anything fundamental and is instead just refining some of the pathways.What puzzles me is the things they've chosen not to explain, like most of the "How the fuck do I play multiplayer?" stuff. Forcing people into an online session without explaining the premise might make some nervous, especially since the first time they try to join someone else's quest they'll probably be told they're not able to. But, this is very much the Japanese way of doing online, and it's pretty tough to convince an entire country to change its mindset.

The other one that I wasn't even sure was still in the game is Loadouts. I usually have a bunch of different armour sets with certain skills dependent on what I'm hunting, or so I can play with friends at muiltiple levels, and always have a Default Hunting item set alongside a Capture set and a Gathering set. (No real need for the Gathering set any more, though.) Yes, they are there, but I had to look for how to register them. Unless I have now simply read so many tutorials that I no longer remember any of them...

Finally, I do think some of the armours have lost some of their character, and a large part of that may be down to how the monsters look to be mostly the same archetypes. Things look a little better when it gets to High Rank with the α and β variants, and as this is an offshoot of no longer needing Blademaster and Gunner specific armour then I'll let it slide. Besides, who knows what else they're going to bring in DLC? Some of the more colourful beasts would certainly be welcomed by me, and there's no doubt that they'll keep on doing the themed quests they've always done. 

As long as the Qurupeco never returns, I realise he was only really an early level Big Monster in Tri but I fucking hated the bastard.

So is 14 the highest hunter rank? I see a few rllmukers are on that. I'm a bit worried that I'm ploughing through the story missions too fast and I'll see everything the game has to offer too quickly, I'm rank 8 and just explored the rotten vale. Should I slow down and do more optional quests, investigations etc? I've still not found it that hard and I haven't even bothered upgrading my gear the last few ranks.

About six hours in and still have very little idea what’s going on. I’ve switched to the bow as I wasn’t gelling with the sword and shield. Enjoying it but it’s an uphill climb.

I will persevere!

• Empathy 1

9 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Did a quest earlier with a few of you, Barroth again, oddly enough. I dont think I hit him that much, as the guys who helped me had way better gear than me, so he went down like a sack of spuds. Len joined me for a double hunt sometime after that, and it was quite funny as the camera seemed to pan to him a bit as he joined - thought another monster was jumping in or something for a second.

Had to kill Pukei-Pukei a few more times as I wanted the armour for poison resist, but the investigations only gave me capture quests for him, which turned out to be harder than expected. Did 2 of them, but failed 2 as well, mainly due to my own stupidity of not having antidotes easily available and got ko'd the one time, and killed him the other, failing the quest. All sorted now, with a full set, though I crafted 2 helmets by mistake :facepalm:

Oh well, more farming! :lol:

Ha, yeh, that was fun. Did you choose to leave after that as it seemed to kick me out whilst back at the camp when it looked like you were choosing another mission? I've had that with other quests once you return with others to the camp or so it seems. Odd.

I had a great time last night, decided I wasn't going to just farm monsters (which is so much fun by answering sos requests) and so did lots of the optional  quests(?) for flora, fauna and  little animals so that I could take my time and have areal poke around the maps more. They're amazing, there is so much  much hidden stuff in them, sometimes in plain sight, it's silly. Found loads of new things and bits and areas, camps, areas in ancient forest, wastes and highlands particularly (Grimalkynes place). It's crazy.

Other qu's:

What are the speech bubbles next to quests? Is this a request or story part indicator? I did one for the armory lady who on return said I have a brand new weapon/gadget now and here's the first one. Then couldn't find it at all?!?

Why do the map stars farming have numbers next to them on the right? Is this the amount of times you can attempt them or something else? 

Also, still don't really understand expeditions as I seem to have loads of them ticked and unticked.

I'm currently rocking a dirty big, poisonous great sword which is bloody great and also a nice water blade/sword. I also finally made myself a different weapon, a thunder axe thingy so will give it a run out today! Oh and also a shout out for the floaty mantle, it's great, especially in the highlands!

What a game... :)

Can the bow ever reach the same damage output as some of the more traditional melee weaponry? It's nice to use but it takes forever just to deal with regular Kestodon even at its current, second (bone), level.

So what is the real benefit of stuff like poisoned meat or meat laced with sleeping herb? I made the T-Rex eat poisoned meat and the effect seemed to be fuck all. I obviously wasn't expecting it to be was easy as eating poisoned meat and dying but it did nothing tangible I could see. 

Also is it me or are the regular smoke bombs completely useless? 

1 hour ago, Len said:

Ha, yeh, that was fun. Did you choose to leave after that as it seemed to kick me out whilst back at the camp when it looked like you were choosing another mission? I've had that with other quests once you return with others to the camp or so it seems. Odd.

I had a great time last night, decided I wasn't going to just farm monsters (which is so much fun by answering sos requests) and so did lots of the optional  quests(?) for flora, fauna and  little animals so that I could take my time and have areal poke around the maps more. They're amazing, there is so much  much hidden stuff in them, sometimes in plain sight, it's silly. Found loads of new things and bits and areas, camps, areas in ancient forest, wastes and highlands particularly (Grimalkynes place). It's crazy.

Other qu's:

What are the speech bubbles next to quests? Is this a request or story part indicator? I did one for the armory lady who on return said I have a brand new weapon/gadget now and here's the first one. Then couldn't find it at all?!?

Why do the map stars farming have numbers next to them on the right? Is this the amount of times you can attempt them or something else? 

Also, still don't really understand expeditions as I seem to have loads of them ticked and unticked.

I'm currently rocking a dirty big, poisonous great sword which is bloody great and also a nice water blade/sword. I also finally made myself a different weapon, a thunder axe thingy so will give it a run out today! Oh and also a shout out for the floaty mantle, it's great, especially in the highlands!

What a game... :)

I just went on another hunt. I think you emoted or something that you needed a breather, so I took that to mean you needed a cuppa or something.

The Investigations are essentially quests you do out on an expedition. You pick up all the ones you want from the researchers, then when out in the field you talk to your handler and pick whatever one you want to do. The good thing about this is that there are set monsters, so rather than have an Anjanath running about, he'll be absent, and there'll only be the one you want to hunt as well as a few minor ones. This is (possibly) the best way to farm monster parts, as depending on the investigations available, you can farm a specific monster, as it'll always be on the map. There are usually multiple investigations with the same monster type too, so regardless of the number of times you can do each investigation, you'll have loads more.

The good thing about these is you get bonus monster parts at the end as well, on top of carves and capture bonuses, so its well worth doing them when you need the parts. Its what I used to farm Pukei Pukei bits last night for example, and I only did 2 captures successfully and 2 kills.

Bounties from the researchers work a bit differently, in that they can be done anytime, and usually anywhere, so its worth filling your boots with bounties each time you go back to Astera (if you dont already anyway). Good source of Armour Spheres, as each one gives minimum of 1, sometimes 2, depending on bounty difficulty.

The speech bubble next to quest means it's a request from someone in town. Doing it for the first time usually unlocks something.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Can the bow ever reach the same damage output as some of the more traditional melee weaponry? It's nice to use but it takes forever just to deal with regular Kestodon even at its current, second (bone), level.

Are you charging it up by holding down the trigger, or by just spamming it/doing dodge-charges? Because if you're doing the first, I think you're doing it wrong. According to a video I watched yesterday, what you want to be doing is chaining sequences of three shots, since you gain a charge level with each shot (also your dragon piercer benefits from the charge you build up with normal shots, so you should try and use it after 2 normal shots or a dodge + charge shot). I've been trying it this afternoon, and I don't feel like I was doing damage any slower than with the long sword I'd been using until today.

• Upvote 2

Many saying that bringing people to your game makes it harder, but the monster won't target you so often so I would have thought that makes it a great deal easier. I don't know how the game treats bow users in single player but I would guess multiplayer is a lot more fun for this reason.

For anyone new or me 3 hours ago: If you want to activate higher level Investigations go to the Resource centre. Its the place with the 3 research dudes. The middle tab manage investigations and select all you want. More to right and left.

Well for a noob like me, Anjanath is a humongous difficulty spike. I feel like the game assumes I have learned more about the game than I actually have fighting the really easy previous enemies. 

• Empathy 1