Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

25 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Is PSN fucked for anyone else? Trying to join an online session for this and it's just timing out or crapping the bed at 71%. Friends and Party lists are borked too. 

Just had this too. I wanted to farm anjanaths in a group dammit.

This is great, isn't it? I've got myself a Pukei sword/shield and a full set of Pukei armour and am strolling with my hot new poisonous witch doctor aesthetic generally making the New World a much more dangerous place to be. I've got a couple of quick questions for the pros in here:

Are all of the big named monsters present in every expedition? I swear some of the times I went looking for a Pukei there was no sign of one and other times I'd find the footprints straight away. If not, is there a way I can quickly see which big monsters are in my 'instance'? 

Does anyone else's PS4 OS slow right down when playing this? The menus (that are perfectly snappy and responsive with every other game I've played) are terribly slow when this is running and it feels like my PS4 is going to melt if I try and view my friends lists or join parties etc.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

Who is in the RLLMUK squad, then, and is there room for more of us? (PS4)

I'd like to know this too. Although I'm slowly working my way through the quests solo at the moment I would like to be in a nice squad for the end game grind and more challenging events.

55 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Woke up, bruised and battered, the morning sun beating down on me. As I was packing my stuff ready to set off from this accursed island, I spotted a note from my friend.

"I know you're thinking of giving up, and leaving the island (to go Street Fighting? er ... lol!), but before you do, give hunting one more shot, use a different weapon like the Katana."

Hmm, yeah, the hammer wasn't really doing it for me anyway. But I didn't really fancy the Katana. I really liked how that Iron Blade felt, so I grabbed that back out of the box - which is way too small to store such a weapon (magic?) - and then headed to the smithy. Let's see if I can get some better armour, I pondered. Hmm, this Bone armour looks like it could be decent, and it's definitely better than the leathers I've got on. Fully kitted out in bone armour, and a massive blade strapped to my back, off I went to the canteen and had the chef prepare me his best meal. Now I felt prepared for the task ahead, I was headed to the Wildspire Waste to defeat the Barroth.

I carefully avoided the Rathian, that beast's time will come. The heat from the sun was punishing as we approached the next clue to Zorah Magdaros, and then, as expected, the Barroth appeared. I timed my attacks, jumped on its back when I could and got some good hits in. The hefty beast led me on a merry chase all over the wastes. The bugger even managed to get some mud-armour back on its hide. But just when I thought I was doomed, just when I felt this island and its deadly denizens had the best of me, I discovered I had the measure of this beast, and down the Barroth went!

That was actually pretty satisfying.

After many pats on the back back at Astera, I was told to hunt a Jyuratodus, back at the Wildspire wastes. I upgraded my Iron Blade again, and off I went on the hunt. It didn't take long to catch its trail. It was quite the fight, but I was touch more seasoned now, and savvy to some of the more dangerous attacks. Have to be honest, that was actually quite easy. More plaudits were had back at Astera, but of course I was told that, to keep Astera safe, we need to hunt another monster. This time it was a Tobi-Kadachi. However, I knew I was ill-prepared, the fights with the Barroth and Jyuratodus had depleted my stores of potions and mega potions. I needed to go out gathering.

Time for a brief expedition to the ancient forest, I figured. I could have just gathered what I needed, but while on the expedition I picked up the trail of another Great Jagras, and feeling more confident, I pursued the beast. Sure enough, it wasn't all that much of a challenge, but still felt great to go hunting. I was about to head back, having gathered more potions and honey, when I spied some odd footprints - a-ha, another Pukei-Pukei ... why not? The beast's trail led me through the thick forest, I was almost at a loss for where it could be, and then I turned to my left and it was right there, poised to attack.  The beauty of the forest belied its dangers. There were poisonous sacks everywhere, and this kaleidoscopic monster was spewing even more poison. Good thing I have antidotes.

It was quite the fight, I had to give chase several times but once I managed to sever its tail, the fight was much easier.  I was now fully stocked on mega-potions, so headed back to Astera to prepare for the fight with the Tobi-Kadachi. Let's try some new armour, I should be able to craft something decent from the Pukei-Pukei. Back to the smithy I went, and crafted some nice 12 rated Pukei Pukei armour. I noticed a "-3" rating for "vs Thunder" which had an electrical symbol next to it. Hmm, I doubt this next beast will use electricity...

... oh shit, it fucking does! It was a hell of a fight, I got carted once, but I still managed it, despite the disadvantage from my armour. So here I am, back at Astera, prepping for the next hunt. It's time to put an end to the Anjanath that's menacing this area. 

So tell me, rllmuk, am I doing it right? ;)

RobRyan****Yeah****Face.gif

I've also just taken out Barroth. God, I still love fighting them, even after hundreds of hunts in 3U. Such a satisfying beast to slay. I had him smashed to bits, limping, but he led me a right merry chase through the wildspire wastes back to his swamp, where I eventually did him in. It was a long battle, longer than I'm used to, but I'm still early in the game, power-wise, but he didn't get close to carting me. 

Want to make a full set of Barroth armour, for nostalgia sake. Damn. Requires a tale. I ain't severing no tails with a hammer! Best grab something else out of the weapon box...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Just had this too. I wanted to farm anjanaths in a group dammit.

Hah, that's exactly the same reason as me :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Len said:

Going to try and nip on now before the rest of the family get up. Still persevering with the broadsword as my starter weapon, it's tough but fun. :) 

Managed an hour and realise that I'm miles behind everyone else but joined some sos quests and farmed great jagras. Myself and my cat are now rocking full jagras's set and I've upgraded to the bone sword. So much fun online. 

Then had a pootle around Astera and began to understand more of the menus and systems so it's all beginning to click some more.

I think I have to go after the Pukei-Pukei now as I've already taken out a dopey bird after that but there's so many other things I want to do! Love it. :)

• Upvote 1

Dat plush poogie :wub: I don’t have it but I do very much want it. 

Psn seems alright for me at the moment. Managed to get the fangs I needed for my Blazing Bow. Farming the Rathian for my princess bow now.  Game keeps delivering the goofiest of smiles. Supposed to be prepping for an interview this week, I just can’t. Why do you want to work for the BBC? I don’t. I want to stay home all day and play Monster Hunter is my current answer.  8-)

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Pungee said:

Are all of the big named monsters present in every expedition? I swear some of the times I went looking for a Pukei there was no sign of one and other times I'd find the footprints straight away. If not, is there a way I can quickly see which big monsters are in my 'instance'? 

If you're on a specific quest to find a monster it'll be there. If you're on an expedition (Not really the best place to hunt specific large game) it'll say which monsters are present in that instance but they'll leave after a specific time. I don't know if they get replaced.

• Upvote 1

well i've taken down the Barroth and Jyuratodus. The latter proved tricky but the Barroth went down easy. I'm using Duel blades. tried the long sword but my timing was dreadful. I may give it another shot when i go on some Investigations. My first Monster Hunter and i'm loving it.

Just a question to the veterans, is it best to keep on forging new armor when you can or to upgrade what you've got?

Yeah they said they are investigating. 

Between that and PSN being fucked about three or four times for me this week, been a shit week to sign back up to both gold and ps+! I think I got to play Tekken 7 one night. 

• Empathy 1

15 minutes ago, Flub said:

Has there been any official word from Capcom about the XBox online issues? It's been pretty annoying

It’s being looked into just now but I haven’t delved into the social media posts as it’s the usual 13 yr old fanboy wars going on in the comments. 

3 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

PSN is still down for me here. I was really hoping to try out some MP action while dinner's on but not to be. 

I think this is a fresh down time. Their third or fourth this week, plus some of us got the appear offline bug during the week as well. Don't know what the fuck is going on at sony. I just want to play Tekken 7 sometimes :(

I have this on Xbone but obviously the MP there is not working either! 

Just murdered a Tzitzi with my thunder bow. There must be a better way of avoid the status effects from this one outside of being out of range. 18 minutes for that one. Long but he didn't give me any real trouble

59 minutes ago, Flub said:

If you're on a specific quest to find a monster it'll be there. If you're on an expedition (Not really the best place to hunt specific large game) it'll say which monsters are present in that instance but they'll leave after a specific time. I don't know if they get replaced.

They seem to get replaced in expedition mode, all three of the present large monsters that left were back a bit later on. 

Decided I would dip my toe online but Matchmaking told me there were no sessions available (on Xbox). Went to the gathering hub and it was totally empty - is that normal? I imagined it would be like the social hub in Destiny with loads of people running around. 

42 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Can someone explain what affinity does/affects?

Its your chance to crit the higher the affinity the higher the crit chance. You will find some weapons have minus affinity but huge damage numbers this balances the weapon out, tho you csn negate this with armor skills.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Majora said:

They seem to get replaced in expedition mode, all three of the present large monsters that left were back a bit later on. 

Decided I would dip my toe online but Matchmaking told me there were no sessions available (on Xbox). Went to the gathering hub and it was totally empty - is that normal? I imagined it would be like the social hub in Destiny with loads of people running around. 

Matchmaking is completely non-functional on the XBox at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Flub said:

Matchmaking is completely non-functional on the XBox at the moment.

Pretty much the same on PSN. Capcom may well have taken everything offline while they fix things, I can't get into a session at all.

I've reached the 4th area. BEAUTIFUL!

1 hour ago, Anth said:

@Big Swifty @CheekyLee Plenty of room in the rllmuk squad I setup. Have to get into the same online session to add you though so add me on PSN at AnthB and I will invite you in to a session.

Thanks will give that a go tonight. I won't be able to talk on voicechat much though as I can't where I normally play. Hope that won't be a problem, the other comms seem pretty good in the game.

This is a really good looking game. I'm up to the fourth zone at the moment. Currently trying out the switch axe and trying to get one single barroth ridge so I can get my first weapon with dragon affinity.

bYteosY.jpg

I've played over 16 hours since Friday night.

50 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Is there a way of selecting/changing your Palico’s skills?

Yup. Speak to your palico inside your room. The skills are items that you'll get as you play. Each one needs to be levelled up.

As for the game, its just amazing. So much fun and immensely satisfying. Been battering Rathians and Anjanaths for most of the day. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

The quest rewards are automatically sent to your item box, unless you hit the "Sell all" button. Stuff you pick up during the missions is added to your pouch.

Armour requires an Armour Sphere to upgrade each piece, so 5 for a full set. This just adds to the DEF rating, at least to the armour I've made so far. It's always worth doing, because Armour Spheres seem to be a lot more plentiful than they were in previous games.

I only did the Anjanath urgent quest to take it to 4* last night, and up until then everything has had a 50 minute time-limit. Expeditions have none, but obviously there are no quest rewards so while they're worth doing for collectable resources, they're not really the best way to farm monster parts.

10 hours ago, Adrock said:

Check your box in your house?

OK found the items in my box. None of these spheres to upgrade armour though. Also, nothing of materials? E. G. Bone, etc