Sign in to follow this  
Harrisown

Outcast (1999) is reborn!

Zzzzzzomg!

i bought this probably around 2000 after finally getting a pc that could run it (pentium 3 550mhz) it was the first thing I bought.

For those that never played it, it was far ahead of it time. It was doing Mass Effect 8 years before Mass Effect was doing Mass Effect. The original Uncharted? Perhaps. A classic? Absolutely.

tumblr_mwidhcQW5m1s8flalo1_250.gif

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Vin said:

Read the thread title as Outrun Reborn and was about to shit a rainbow. God DAMN IT. 

As an Outcast fan waiting for a deserved sequel for over a decade, I felt the same pain whenever the Outlast 2 thread was bumped.

• Upvote 1

Well, I'll be in. The original left a marked impression on me back in the day, and it has one of the most interesting sci-fi stories you'll find (the name Cutter Slade notwithstanding ;) ). 

Hoping it'll be around the £20-mark on PC though...I think it'd be pushing things somewhat were it too much higher than that.

Oh, and of course it has what remains one of the greatest original soundtracks in gaming.

I think I just never got around to buying Outcast when it came out. Pretty sure I played the demo. It would have been around the same era as Deus Ex and System Shock 2 and I had a Voodoo 3 by then.

I’m on the fence.

I can’t believe I didn’t instant purchase it considering how much I went on about it to my friends 15 years ago. All this time later I kept the disc because I couldn’t throw it away.

If only it was 30.

Only 30 euros on Steam! OUTCAST GET :omg:

11 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

£25 for what looks like a pretty gorgeous remake of one of the better games from our past is too much? No wonder the game industry is fucked.

I know, right? Full price for something like SW Battlefront 2, a game riddled with P2W bullshit, and people are like 'alright 7 out of 10, must be decent, the force is with my wallet'. But 25 quid for an extensive and gorgeous remake for a proven game, a classic, and with plenty of content? Nah man, too dear for my wee wallet. Our hobby is doomed!

26 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

£25 for what looks like a pretty gorgeous remake of one of the better games from our past is too much? No wonder the game industry is fucked.

For me, it's too much when there's so much I've bought this year. It's too much for my blood, not anyone elses maybe :)

They should do Terra Nova after this. That was probably one of the only games ever to acknowledge that smoke would block laser weapons, but ran and controlled like sludge. Don't think it did particularly well.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

I think I just never got around to buying Outcast when it came out. Pretty sure I played the demo. It would have been around the same era as Deus Ex and System Shock 2 and I had a Voodoo 3 by then.

That's really good for 1999 Cochese but Outcast cared little for your Voodoo. The Voxel engine needed a beefy CPU most of all. Maybe that's why you skipped it.