IGNORED

The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

They could have spent their vfx budget a little more tastefully.  Drop a few of those expensive jumping around shots and do a little more digital makeup, especially around the eyes.   

9 hours ago, monkeydog said:

They could have spent their vfx budget a little more tastefully.  Drop a few of those expensive jumping around shots and do a little more digital makeup, especially around the eyes.   

I thought those big insect eyes looked good.

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I watched the first episode of Season 1 back in the day (and binned it off quick) and recently watched the first episode of Season 3...I know thats not the way to do it but it was a quite a thing!

Swing back and swatch season 2 before continuing with 3.

12 hours ago, monkeydog said:

The makeup was great!

Yep, I was actually really hoping that... 

Spoiler

... John De Lancie would turn up at the end. The Orville basically now has its own Q. 

What was interesting, for me, is how while most of the episode was pure Star Trek (and at its best), the music in that episode was pure Star Wars. A nice, subtle dichotomy. 

1 hour ago, GwiDan said:

What a great episode. Does it a disservice to call it a good episode of Star Trek at this point.

I disagree, this week's episode was straight out of the top-tier Star Trek playbook. 

On 03/06/2022 at 13:04, Doctor Shark said:

One thing I liked:

Hide contents

The Doctor saying Isaac committed suicide and he probably did have feelings afterall..

..then Isaac saying he 'killed' himself as it would improve crew morale and productivity by like 15% or something :lol:

I really liked this aspect as well

Spoiler

- anytime we get near "Does Isaac have feelings?" they manage to land either side of it without settling.  Like his explanation makes sense to him but you're also wondering is he just kidding himself finding a logical explanation?  Claire certainly thinks so :D 

17 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I like that Ep 3 ended with saying fuck you to the pious trope of

Reveal hidden contents

immortally would be rubbish

Yes! So good to finally have a counterpoint to the ridiculous notion that

Spoiler

"life is only so beautiful because it's so fleeting" or whatever bullshit we constantly get told to distract us from the horror of our impending oblivion.

Spoiler

I’m not entirely sure how their getaway plan worked? They’ve already got a rebel alliance of actual Krill on the planet and they couldn’t spring anybody, how does two humans disguised as absolute randos help?

Another really solid episode though. The rock solid emotional core of these episodes I think is what sets the show apart.

7 hours ago, Jammy said:

New episode was another very good one. But, I’m starting to think they’ve dialled back the humour a little too much this season.

I agree, it just doesn’t feel… Right? I understand this was a more dramatic episode with less space for humour, but it all feels a bit too forced and ‘serious’ recently. Plus as a consequence, half the main cast have basically been reduced to extras. I think they got the balance better during the second season, IMO.

I agree about the lack of humour. I'm still enjoying the show, but I know at least two people who haven't liked this season at all so far.

Strange New Worlds has had a much better balance of serious stuff and more light hearted moments, with the latest episode being a perfect example of a humorous concept with a strong emotional core. It's also done a much better job of giving every character a chance to shine.

I don't think it's just the lack of humour that's making this season feel a little "off" - the pacing seems completely wrong as well. It hasn't made the transition very well from 45-minute episodes to 65-minute episodes, there are a lot of establishing shots (shuttles docking, people walking down corridors) that go on too long and a lot of inconsequential conversations that probably should have been cut. I think the faster pace of the shorter episodes suited the show better.

Also, they've pretty much abandoned the traditional Star Trek A-plot/B-plot structure, whereby a main story would be intercut with something more light-hearted. This season is all A-plot, like it's consciously trying to build toward something, and I think that's a shame. One of the best things about this show was the fact it was solidly episodic, and never felt like it had any kind of big arc, so when it did drop continuity in there it was always a nice surprise.

Spoiler

The way in which Claire and Isaac's relationship built in the background over the course of half a season or so was an absolute delight.

I do still love this show very very much but so far this hasn't been anywhere near as good as season 2.

Gonna have to disagree with the dissent here, I think it's a really strong season so far. 

On 23/06/2022 at 07:22, JohnC said:

Brucie Bonus!

Damn it, I knew I recognised his voice, but couldn't quite place it!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Gonna have to disagree with the dissent here, I think it's a really strong season so far. 

Damn it, I knew I recognised his voice, but couldn't quite place it!

Oh, I’m still loving it, don’t get me wrong. But it feels a bit too serious at the moment. I always felt that the uniform and alien design (and to an extent the ship design too) were deliberately a bit silly because the original core of the show was a comedy, but aesthetically all that stuff is slightly discordant with the current tone. I recognise though that they’ve dealt with some very serious subjects so far this series and so the humour might well return.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

I recognise though that they’ve dealt with some very serious subjects so far this series and so the humour might well return.

I think in all the seriousness it's easy to forget the very beginning of the episode, where...

Spoiler

... Isaac does his own version of "this town ain't big enough..." I thought that was hilarious. Also followed by "The best thing? The admiral totally didn't know we've been drinking!"

Admiral later: "I knew you were drunk!"

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think in all the seriousness it's easy to forget the very beginning of the episode, where...

Hide contents

... Isaac does his own version of "this town ain't big enough..." I thought that was hilarious. Also followed by "The best thing? The admiral totally didn't know we've been drinking!"

Admiral later: "I knew you were drunk!"

That is true - especially the Isaac bit.

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

there are a lot of establishing shots (shuttles docking, people walking down corridors) that go on too long and a lot of inconsequential conversations that probably should have been cut

I'm loving these, they're stirring up memories of sitting two feet from the TV staring in awe at establishing shots of the Enterprise D. The completely - and I suspect intentionally - pointless dreamy shot of Talla walking up the spiral staircase in episode 3 both made me laugh and warmed my bitter old heart :wub: