kerraig UK

I would admit anything for music

But I won't admit that. 

Those proper, not fucking about guilty pleasures. Songs you genuinely love, non ironically, that you would die inside if anyone heard them.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Billy Joel is not a shameful guilty pleasure. FFS.

Agree brilliant artist, definitely not guilty pleasure.

'Stupid Hoe' is a great track. Never got the guilty pleasure thing, it's where straight men admit to liking a pop or disco track because their taste otherwise stinks. 

The only 'guilty pleasures' I have are stuff like Straight Outta Compton and 'Under My Thumb'. Stuff I find morally reprehensible but also BANGING.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, cerseis eyebrows said:

'Stupid Hoe' is a great track. Never got the guilty pleasure thing, it's where straight men admit to liking a pop or disco track because their taste otherwise stinks. 

Oh it's 100% that. I don't buy into the idea of guilty pleasures either, but there's no denying it's a widely hated track. I love it though.

On the subject of moral guilty pleasures, Kim by Eminem is a pretty horrible/amazing song

I put Major Lazer's "Peace Is The Mission" at the top of my list in the 2015 favourite albums poll, even though I know people probably think of it as the safest pop trash around. I find it kind of upbeat and likeable though. :blush:

• Upvote 1

Glad I have vague anonymity, here's three tracks that I play that I'd have to kill anyone who found out, as it would ruin my image of being a hardcore oldskolol hiphop/funk/turntablist loving snob:

• Upvote 1

So at the risk of losing whatever little cred I might have I'd like to nominate Harry Styles' song Sign of the Times. Dunno about the album, not listened to it, but that song really resonates with me at the moment. Honestly, if this was Father John Misty it'd be being hailed as a modern masterpiece. And his voice is simply amazing. 

Scoff away :P

• Upvote 2

but it has to go hand in hand with the video - there's some fucking awesome choreography going on in it that is just full on part of the whole shebang for me.

On 6/18/2017 at 21:47, Azrael said:

Nothing wrong with Taylor Swift. I've had 1989 playing non-stop since she returned to Spotify. 

T-Swizzle :wub:

It's more than I enjoy that particular track back from when she was ultra-saccharine and barely escaped the shackles of country :blush:

It's all subjective / differs in context.  

I guess I'm too old to care anyway, plus I'm perhaps the biggest Corrs fan you'll ever find, so have experienced enough people looking at me like an idiot when talking about music.

Other examples:

I love Paramore, but I'm the wrong side of 30.

I love Genesis - I'm not a prog rock dinosaur.

I love the Smiths.  I cringe to admit it as instantly you get categorised as some sort of pretentious hipster or something  - I loved them before Perks Of Being A Wall Flower and 500 Days Of Summer, their music is good, their writing is good etc.

I love the Ramones.  See above.

I love Iron Maiden, Metallica, Lacuna Coil, Sister Sin.. I don't only wear black, I have no tattoos.

I even like the first 2 Linkin Park albums.

I love the Manic Street Preachers, especially the early stuff.  I don't fit into that bucket either.

I love Journey.  i loved them before Glee.

I love U2 and will happily admit it.

The top played song on my 8Gb iPod - Your Love by The Outfield - I love some of the Vice City Soundtrack :)

I've seen the Kaiser Chiefs live twice (once because I wanted to see the backing, and once at a festival), I enjoyed some of the set and feel slightly embarrassed about that.

• Upvote 1

Not a specific song but a general admission - is there anyone else who genuinely prefers "clean" radio edit variants of certain sweary songs? It's not a prudish thing (there are lots of foul-mouthed tunes I love)...but at the same time, I don't know if it's because I have a stronger nostalgic attachment to hearing things on the radio years ago, or if the edits flow better, or if I'm just a fan of comedy placeholder content, but I sometimes find myself searching iTunes for these versions rather than the original... :blush: