JohnC

Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water

I'm only hearing about this now, with the news it's getting an R rating. del Toro is keen to point out it is not a horror movie, despite the R rating, after people got the wrong idea about Crimson Peak. It's set in Cold War America, in the 60s. Elisa, a mute woman, works in a high security government lab (apparently as a cleaner), where she discovers a classified experiment involving an aquatic man. They fall in love.

Stars Sally Hawkins (Elisa), Doug Jones (the creature, obviously), Octavia Spencer (Elisa's co-worker Zelda), Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, and Michael Stuhlbarg. Due out 8 December.

861a98367a0802f9ea0f5c1378b4464f.jpg

• Upvote 2

I pretty much love everything he's done (maybe not that film with the little goblin things though). What sticks out for me on that image is the word 'fairytale' - he is at his best when he has a fairytale/folklore to work with. 

35 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

That looks very Jean-Pierre Jeunet. One scene looks like a recreation from a bit in Delicatessen.

This! A ton of Amelie in there too. It has Jeunet all over it. Which is weird considering Del Toro himself has such distinct visual kinks. Other than the creature which is right out of Hellboy, I would never have guessed this was him.

There is something very 90s about the trailer. Like it reminds me of the days we used to get big weird expensive movies on the regular. Miss those days. Hope it's good and does really well.

12 minutes ago, max renn said:

There's nothing in that trailer that would even suggest an R rating. What gives?

There's a few hints.

Smeary bloody hand prints, people being shot in the face, someone falling to their knees, covered in blood, holding their stomach/bloody hands.

Only just saw that trailer! Bloody hell, I'm getting old.

I got the strangest vibe from it - and then I suddenly realised it reminded me of Bioshock and Rapture.

Maaaan, someone needs to make a film of that place.

I love everything he's done, except that one with the kids in the school. it took  me 3 goes to get to the end of it (in fact, thinking about it, I'm not sure I made it to the end on the third attempt)

19 hours ago, sandman said:

I love everything he's done, except that one with the kids in the school. it took  me 3 goes to get to the end of it (in fact, thinking about it, I'm not sure I made it to the end on the third attempt)

The Devil's Backbone?

That was the first Del Toro film I saw - absolutely loved the thing! Spooky as fuck.

• Upvote 3

On 09/09/2017 at 23:43, sandman said:

The Devil's Backbone is up there with his very best.

• Upvote 3

Watched this last week as it's out in Canada already.

I like Pans Labyrinth but that's about it of Del Toro, I really want to like his films but recently Crimson Tide and the one with the robots I just had no desire to even try. Shape of water seemed like the first one in a while that could be a return to form. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy it though I did like the look and general presentation of the film. Great cast too. It certainly has merits.

I kept thinking that it's basically trying to do an 'E.T for adults' but the problem is that the creature isn't that compelling, i.e it's not that funny and I couldn't understand or appreciate the connection between creature and protagonist.  They try to pin it on her barrier with sign language or something but for me it doesn't quite work. 

• Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I like Pans Labyrinth but that's about it of Del Toro, I really want to like his films but recently Crimson Tide and the one with the robots I just had no desire to even try. Shape of water seemed like the first one in a while that could be a return to form. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy it though I did like the look and general presentation of the film. Great cast too. It certainly has merits.

Man, I really loved Gene Hackman in that!

• Upvote 5

watched this tonight (there is a dvd screener out there on the high seas)  and i loved it such a great lovely movie, beautifully filmed and a nice adult fairy tale.  As capwn said it does come across like an adult ET in parts but that's not a bad a thing - great cast especially Sally Hawkins and Micheal Shannon - doing a full on intense Michael Shannon.    

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Massively looking forward to this. It won’t be in theaters over here until the 16th of February I think, so a few more weeks yet. Can’t wait! :)

Yeah I " obtained " an early release copy. Really loved it, its so sweet and sentimental. Very charming story. Also love Michael Shannon in pretty much anything that he's in. I ll definitely buy this at some point after it gets a small screen release.  BTW ARE THE FORUM ELECTIONS A REAL THING OR IS IT SOME KIND OF CON?? SOUNDS LIKE A MONEY SCAM TO ME. DOES EVERYONE HAVE THE SAME MESSAGE AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM??  

• Downvote 5

I'm weak willed, gave in and watched it. Just superb. More than lived up to my expectations. 

I do wish we wouldn't get these delays for films hitting the UK around Oscar season. It's the only time of the year it seems to happen these days. Will 100% be at my local arthouse cinema on opening night in February. Can't wait to see it again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1