Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch August 25th, Japan only because Capcom are f****** idiots

Doctor Shark

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

Heads up, Japanese Switch MHXX demo on the 10th, local multiplayer only sadly. Also Monster Hunter Stories demo same day.

Thanks for the heads up. Just set up my Japanese account. While I think Generations is one of the weakest in the series, checking out the eshop videos and screens on my Switch screen has me pretty excited. It looks great.

I think a few of us struggling through the full Japanese release together might be a gratifying challenge. See how we get on with the demo, I guess.

I'm getting it, guaranteed.

For standard menus and stuff i'll just run the 3DS version of Generations side-by-side. For any new additions, i'm pretty sure there with be a multitude of Youtube vids to help out.

The fact its all in Japanese only adds to the allure. The JPN version of DS3 reminded me of that.

6 minutes ago, TheArtistGlyph said:

Yeah, I know a lot of people who want XX on Switch. I'm not sure if I'm one of them, i keep hearing good things about Monster Hunter, but I'm not sure if I'd like it.

All the good things are true. Interestingly, so are all the bad things, but they're all said by people who can't understand anything unless it's spoon-fed to them. MH is much more of an investment than most games, and there's a reason that it coined the phrase "GIT GUD!"

It's just so good. SO, so good! I mean, I always knew it was, but I never quite gave it a thorough examination on the 3DS, which is almost certainly due to it following too soon after 4U. Now, though, I not only realise how ready I am, but also realise that even though handheld is great, it doesn't really match the experience of playing on the big screen.

This needs to be localised for us English-speakers, it really does.

Has anyone managed to defeat the new monster yet? (How are we going to name new monsters?) I either run out of time (gunlance) or run out of potions (longsword). Really tough, and I'm a tiny bit concerned this monster has been designed with hunter styles in mind. Obviously I'm not going to be using anything other than traditional guild style, and yet even this seems to have some weird on-screen meters where all you have to do is press a single d-pad direction to unleash some stupid overpowered ability. Unless I've chosen the wrong style. I've been choosing the first option.

WIN_20170815_19_04_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.1bdb23a6f56e4f0f01ff2ef336ba3579.jpg

Rllmuk! We've a mere week and a half left to learn this shit*!

Got a good chunk of hiragana down. Katakana should go a bit easier. Then the real work: trying to cram some basic kanji, common Monster Hunter kanji, and a bit of grammar. Fucking Monster Hunter!

*It isn't shit at all. It's beautiful.

I finally got around to trying the demo. Felt right at home in handheld mode. Then i thought to myself "what am i doing?" so docked the Switch and played it on the TV with the Pro controller and immediately got jazz-hands and started pressing all the wrong buttons. :lol: Damn you Zelda! Looks great on the big screen even if the HUD is a little over-bearing.

Play-Asia Yen points cards make this just under £50, which i'm happy to pay.

• 2 weeks later...