Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

X-Men - Dark Phoenix

Does this mean we go into space?

I actually thought X-Men Apocalypse was okay. Probably because my expectations were so low because of the reviews I ended up coming out pleasantly surprised.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

Does this mean we go into space?

Shi'ar and Starjammers?

A cynic might suggest Fox looked at GOTG and are aiming to set up a superhero space opera of their own.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

It's got to be after everything so far, including this. Even with the different timeline stuff. 

But i thought the whole point of Logan was starting a new wave of mutants...

Really!? What's the fucking point in that? I thought Logan was taking the series in a new direction and just getting rid of all that other, frankly rubbish, crap. 

I'd be much more interested in seeing where they take the story after Logan.

1 hour ago, APM said:

Really!? What's the fucking point in that? I thought Logan was taking the series in a new direction and just getting rid of all that other, frankly rubbish, crap. 

Logan was basically a standalone movie, and was set in its own continuity. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a direct sequel.

This doesn't make a lot if sense unless they change the story a lot. I guess most of the team from that saga have been reintroduced over the last few films, but there's just so much from the story they haven't established yet, and some key players will be missing.

Is Singer doing this because that's the direction he was obviously going after X2? Just wondering if we're going to see the movie X3 would have been if he hadn't gone for Superman and we got Bret Ratner.

10 hours ago, makkuwata said:

I quite like the fact that they've taken a "fuck it" attitude and are just telling stories with the characters regardless of movie continuity.

I like that too, but the Phoenix is easily the most overplayed element of the X-Men's world after Wolverine.

I guess doing a space version of it could be interesting, as that implies bringing in the more fantastical space-opera stuff like Cyclops's dad and the Shi'ar Empire. Alternatively, sometimes they just do stuff in orbit - for instance, the original birth of the Phoenix came about after a fairly routine (for the X-Men) mission aboard a space station, when their re-entry craft starts to fall apart.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, APM said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the New Mutants movie is set after Logan and has Laura in it. I certainly can't think of another plausible set of New Mutants in any of the current films.

Well not really. They're a new group of Mutants, which kind of requires they exist in a world that already has or has had a group of Mutants. They also don't make any real sense in concert with a younger X-Men team, as the whole point of them was to add some kids to the school again once the old class graduated.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Well not really. They're a new group of Mutants, which kind of requires they exist in a world that already has or has had a group of Mutants. They also don't make any real sense in concert with a younger X-Men team, as the whole point of them was to add some kids to the school again once the old class graduated.

I don't really get what you're struggling with here. What is confusing about that?

• Upvote 1

Fox have really tied themselves in knots with the continuity of this universe. It's a shame they re cast Jean, Scot and the others for Apocalypse as Logan gave them a perfect closure for the universe.  could've taken a couple of years off then come back with a whole new interpretation. 

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I just wish they would get rid of Singer and beg Matthew Vaughn to come back. Apocalypse was dreadful.

They could get someone good. Blue sky thinking, and all that.

6 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

They could get someone good. Blue sky thinking, and all that.

Pfft, Matthew Vaughn has never made a bad film. In fact, every single film he has directed has been superb, First Class is the best X-men film by a long way.

• Upvote 3