rllmuk
Illyria

Which classics have you still not seen?

On 23/01/2019 at 21:50, bridger said:

There’s absolutely nothing pretentious or boring about Citizen Kane. Your loss. 

Even his other American epic, despite the studio butchering the fuck out of it still has that Orson Welles magic touch, even if the end result is lesser as a result of the studio cutting it to pieces, what could have been! So young and so talented.

• Upvote 1

I love watching him, even when the movie itself isn’t that amazing, that applies to the classics - Touch of Evil, Third Man. Any time he’s on screen is extraordinary 

You guys seen “The Other Side of the Wind” and the documentary about the making of the film and Orson in general “They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead”? Both on Netflix at the moment and both super interesting. 

On 18/04/2017 at 17:48, pinholestar said:

Casablanca

Lawrence of Arabia

Citizen Kane

Interstellar

I consider myself something of a film buff but not having seen those is a crime really.

Nah, Citizen Kane is a bit shit and even Orson Welles spoke about how he grew to dislike it. Although an artist disliking their work is par for the course I guess.

interstellar is a good watch but I wouldn’t really call it a classic. 

• Downvote 2

20 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Nah, Citizen Kane is a bit shit and even Orson Welles spoke about how he grew to dislike it. Although an artist disliking their work is par for the course I guess.

interstellar is a good watch but I wouldn’t really call it a classic. 

Orson disliked it because it's really hard to have a career where the first thing you did in your chosen field is the best thing that has ever been done in your chosen field. 

• Upvote 1

Have you posted your thoughts on Citizen Kane anywhere? Would be curious to hear what you think. I watched it for the first time earlier, in part due to this thread. I’m not sure what I think about the story, on the technical side I thought it was incredible and it’s beautifully shot. The last classic I watched for the first time was Casablanca and that really blew me away. I now consider it to be one of my favorite movies and not just in a ‘I can appreciate the impact it made when it came out’ kinda way. I was hoping CK would have the same impact and maybe it will in time or with a repeat viewing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TurningMonster said:

Have you posted your thoughts on Citizen Kane anywhere? Would be curious to hear what you think. I watched it for the first time earlier, in part due to this thread. I’m not sure what I think about the story, on the technical side I thought it was incredible and it’s beautifully shot. The last classic I watched for the first time was Casablanca and that really blew me away. I now consider it to be one of my favorite movies and not just in a ‘I can appreciate the impact it made when it came out’ kinda way. I was hoping CK would have the same impact and maybe it will in time or with a repeat viewing.

Illustrates what an odd term ‘classics’ is - Casablanca is a masterpiece which doesn’t seem to age, it can be enjoyed entirely on its own merit rather than seen simply cos of a bucket list. See also Some Like It Hot, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Lady Vanishes, Dr Strangelove

Probably deserves own thread - movies that don’t seem to age 

4 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

It's a much more cerebral beast than Casablanca, which is an out and out crowd pleaser. It's like comparing Taylor Swift to Mogwai. Thats the problem with 'classics', they all get lumped in together. 

Citizen Kane isn't as overtly entertaining (although it certainly is that), but as a character study, and as a warning of unchecked power, and as a treaties on focusing all your energies in the wrong place and as a prescient warning about toxic masculinity or the need for psychotherapy its pretty much peerless. I couldn't imagine how you could craft a top 10 films of American Cinema without its inclusion.

• Upvote 1

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 02:06, kerraig UK said:

Orson disliked it because it's really hard to have a career where the first thing you did in your chosen field is the best thing that has ever been done in your chosen field. 

A friend of mine summarised this phenomenon as "Van Halen snookered themselves by releasing their first album first."

• Upvote 1

Just started the day with a first-time watch of  The Apartment. Fucking hell that was exhausting. The bit where he gives Shirley MacLaine $100 I made a kind of growl. I think that’ll have to suffice as a review.

On 19/04/2017 at 07:39, AK Bell said:

Lawrence of Arabia is an odd one. I've always been told you really need to see it on the big screen first time. Obviously not an easy thing to do. But then it's bloody long too, if you could see it.

The extraordinary thing is how relevant it still is.

• Upvote 1

On 19/04/2017 at 12:22, smithstock said:

A few surprises on a number of these lists but for me:

Psycho

Akira

2001 A Space Odyssey

Schindler's List

Killer

Escape from LA/New York

Easy Rider

Friday the 13th

Evil Dead

How many people haven't seen Way of the Dragon?

It seems that Enter the Dragon or Game of Death are the most seen/referenced titles in pop culture but I've always personally felt they were way inferior to Way of the Dragon. The former is, barring two decent fight scenes, a weak US cash-in and the latter sees Bruce Lee on screen for less than 15 minutes towards the end.

Way of the Dragon was always my favourite. Allowing himself to really let his personality and sense of humour shine through. It’s fucking wonderful. 

On 19/04/2017 at 14:25, Mr Cochese said:

Apollo 13 is pretty good, but it depends heavily on your fondness for watching a control room full of guys in slacks looking concerned and then cheering with relief.

also perfectly describes The Hunt for Red October which is superb. Apollo 13 I have failed to get through - sometimes Ron Howard produces pure cinema magic like Parenthood or The Paper, but I couldn’t stand the tone of Apollo 13

7 minutes ago, linkster said:

Way of the Dragon was always my favourite. Allowing himself to really let his personality and sense of humour shine through. It’s fucking wonderful. 

Agreed. Way of the Dragon is incredible, the colliseum fight sequence is excellent too.

Just now, smithstock said:

Agreed. Way of the Dragon is incredible, the colliseum fight sequence is excellent too.

I know that’s the money shot but I was never really that fond of it, in fact I usually forget it’s in it.