Snake Pass - (PS4/Xbox/Switch/PC)

HarryBizzle

So has anyone bothered picking up Sumo digital's new physics based platformer?

Jon Denton says it's hard as nails:

I'm keen to give it a go but the price seems slightly steep (~£15.99). I think it's only got 15 levels and according to GAF the time trial mode might not be available on Switch for some reason.

The graphics look lovely. I was watching a few videos of Yooka Laylee and that looks incredibly flat in comparison. 

Yeah, I bought it and I've played the first couple of levels. The controls are novel, but I'm not sure they're all that fun. A little bit 'Octodad'. Perhaps it's just a case of mastering them, and I just need to slow myself down as I play. It's certainly an interesting mechanic, and I am looking forward to having another go.

I was convinced there was a thread on this already but after a search no nothing?! Why!

+1 for starting a new thread @HarryBizzle

I have a friend who works at Sumo so looking forward to reading & seeing more on this, not buying on release because I have too much at the moment.

49 minutes ago, spork said:

I was pretty excited about this, but after reading opinions on Reddit it seems to be a bit on the 'meh' side and is more of a curio novelty than anything else.

It's a good game. Also the music is just....oh it's goooooooooood.

One more coin to get in the second level and I'm loving it so far. I've been taking my time and collecting everything and I'm already feeling like a snake master compared to beginning the game.  Quite like making Noodle dance to the catchy Donkey Kong music along the way.

It's nice and old school but fresh feeling too. A bit like playing an HD remake of an old 3D platformer that was never made, but should have been.

Back to it.

1 minute ago, Fatsam said:

One more coin to get in the second level and I'm loving it so far. I've been taking my time and collecting everything and I'm already feeling like a snake master compared to beginning the game.  Quite like making Noodle dance to the catchy Donkey Kong music along the way.

It's nice and old school but fresh feeling too. A bit like playing an HD remake of an old 3D platformer that was never made, but should have been.

Back to it.

Those coins are in some real nasty places as well! Doesn't feel unfair about their placement though. I'm on level 4 and it's just enjoyable stuff. Like you said it feels like a bit of a love letter to the old 3D platformers, especially the Rare ones.

Oh shit yeah, I couldn't find that coin in the second level anywhere and had to push on. Got them all in the 3rd one though.

New area in the fifth level and extra elements are added. It 's a decent game this. Quite slow paced, but as long as you buy into that and enjoy the challenge of mastering the controls it's good fun..

6 hours ago, gospvg said:

I was convinced there was a thread on this already but after a search no nothing?! Why!

+1 for starting a new thread @HarryBizzle

Yeah, I was quite surprised to find there was nothing to bump. I think it's been discussed a fair bit but mainly in Switch topics. 

DigitalFoundry have done an encouraging graphics comparison. Apparently it runs at less than 720p on Switch while docked but still really looks quite nice because of their AA solution. It's UE4! And Sumo are still putting the effort in to improve add features to the Switch version. It's really nice to see them putting so much effort in to what looks like a game with a pretty simple central premise. 

I think I'm going to have to pick it up at some stage. It looks really interesting and the graphics and world look wonderful. I feel like we don't get many games of this style with this level of polish. 

5 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

It's a good game. Also the music is just....oh it's goooooooooood.

4 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Music sounds ace. Sounds a lot like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. 

Edit: THATS BECAUSE ITS THE SAME GUY. 

These guys are not lying. I've just loaded it up and have left it in the options screen while I went to get a cup of tea. I didn't even want a cup of tea!

I was pleased to see this was unlocked for me this morning after pre-ordering on PSN today. 

I'm digging the controls now, at first they felt a bit different for different sake but after a few levels they really clicked.

The game has that classic Rareware feel to it, of course David Wise composing helps but it's the gameplay and visuals that scream N64 era Rare.

Absolutely love it.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

this game has 'buy and play once' written all over it for me, but I know a couple more positive comments in here coupled with 'new console needs a present' and this is getting bought on Switch before the weekend.

I bought it and played it at length just once. I have dipped back into it for the odd go, but it's just a frustrating experience. I find no pleasure in dying 50 times just so I can grab an out of reach coin. 

Although it does keep dragging me back for one more go, so it's doing something right. 

Just thought to pop in and give my first impressions having played the first 3 levels in Switch portable mode. 

It's a nice control concept and it is very satisfying when you pull off a windy snaky move up some trellacing however the controls so far have been tricky to get to grips with and it probably needs quite a lot of discipline to get the best out of. It's one of those games where if you don't try and exert some calm control you end up waving your Switch around in desperation as you try and push or pull the snake about to get him to do what you want him to do. I've already found myself getting better though so that's promising. 

The sound and the style is nice but so far (area 4) it is very standard stuff. Get these things to finish a level and get these other things to REALLY finish the level then finally get these things to REALLY REALLY finish the level. 

It's not clear yet if that changes any as you go on but time will tell if the novelty and the charm will sustain what so far is a very simple game mechanic. I'm enjoying it. If I can clock it in 3-4 hours with the collectibility lasting a few more I think it will be a good experience. 

I agree that it looks pretty blurry on the switch screen. Hopefully they might be able to patch that. 

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

Just thought to pop in and give my first impressions having played the first 3 levels in Switch portable mode. 

It's a nice control concept and it is very satisfying when you pull off a windy snaky move up some trellacing however the controls so far have been tricky to get to grips with and it probably needs quite a lot of discipline to get the best out of. It's one of those games where if you don't try and exert some calm control you end up waving your Switch around in desperation as you try and push or pull the snake about to get him to do what you want him to do. I've already found myself getting better though so that's promising. 

The sound and the style is nice but so far (area 4) it is very standard stuff. Get these things to finish a level and get these other things to REALLY finish the level then finally get these things to REALLY REALLY finish the level. 

It's not clear yet if that changes any as you go on but time will tell if the novelty and the charm will sustain what so far is a very simple game mechanic. I'm enjoying it. If I can clock it in 3-4 hours with the collectibility lasting a few more I think it will be a good experience. 

I agree that it looks pretty blurry on the switch screen. Hopefully they might be able to patch that. 

Oh it starts getting hard around level 6. It also does expand on the mechanic of the use of noodle and the things you can do with him. Careful use of the grip will help with curling yourself around things (a feathering approach works well, just tapping the grip button now and again). 

Up to level 6 now and really liking it overall, it's definitely got the one more go thing going on.

I have no problem with the controls, it's starts tricky and then gets easier, as it should, but the fucking camera is pissing me off and I haven't had any camera issues in anything for years. You sometimes just can't get to see what you want, even after changing it, with walls and bushes totally in the way.

And perhaps it's just me but as the levels get bigger, coupled with the shitty camera, this really needed a level map.