rllmuk
Strategos

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - Add your tag to the list in the OP

Bots in PUBG ruins the fundamental essence of the entire experience. For a whole host of reasons. It's a broken game now.

It's due a full writeup about it when I come to do the 2020 end of year awards/retrospective.

I really liked PUBG initially but it feels to me like it failed to evolve with the times. 

I'm probably a very casual fan, I'm quite enjoying Warzone at the moment so take from that what you will, but I did enjoy the gunplay and adrenaline of PUBG but the niggles started to outweigh it for me. Looting is just a pain in the arse, I do much prefer the Warzone method of the guns already having attachments on them.  

How many types of health regeneration do we need?  Last count there were 6 items all devoted to heath regeneration, and 3 body armour variations and 3 helmet variations. 

I think the game really shines when it comes to combat and tactics but it seems to weighted down with all the looting faff.  This is probably bread and butter to a lot of players which is fair enough but for me the core game is good enough that I think it would be vastly enhanced by a simplification of the looting system. 

21 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Won a few games, yikes. What's that, three?

Checking the stats, we actually only won 1 game of the six we played, came second twice. I killed ten people over six games. In fairness as well, when we were playing a lot two or three wins a day wasn’t unusual and there weren’t any bots then.

20 minutes ago, Benny said:

Bots in PUBG ruins the fundamental essence of the entire experience. For a whole host of reasons. It's a broken game now.

It's due a full writeup about it when I come to do the 2020 end of year awards/retrospective.

I played 1500 hours of that game and it stopped being fun a long time ago, way before bots. Their outright refusal to listen to feedback and frequent backtracking on promises have been a fixture forever.

There's certainly elitism in games, but I don't think the correct response to it is inverse snobbery. When I read @Hasssay the game is ruined by 'sweats' (tryhards) I just think that's people trying, or people messing around while being more highly skilled (closet campers don't win this game, the aggressive ones do, almost always).

It's obviously absolutely fine for people to try at stuff, including games. Let's look at forum darling Tetris 99, as it's a battle royale and is an endlessly in-depth game that rewards work. (other games are a joke compared to high-level Tetris). If @Jonsterand @sir stiff_one have bothered to learn a T-spin and you haven't that's fine, but you've got to accept when they beat you with their experience/skill. They've earned their wins. Is anyone accused of trying too hard in Tetris 99, or chess?  I've played Tetris 99 about 10 times and been so unbelievably trashed you have to laugh. But it's alright, they only beat me because they're swots. In PUBG, my VSS is level 100 at 200+ kills, woo! I got a 108 metre crossbow kill the other day, yay! I always hit top sub 1% in FPP, zounds! 43 chickens last season, rejoice! But I'm not donning a lab-coat and humourlessly sitting, ready to suck the fun and accessibility out of it by 'trying too hard'. I'm probably a bit too sensitive to the 'sweaty' slur but accusing players of trying, like we're back in school, is being a poor sportsman and I always dislike it when I see it.

By the same token,  I'm not discrediting your experience that this 3 year old hardcore FPS has got too hard for you, especially after you've taken a break from it (inevitable). You should be able to enjoy the game too. There should be a bot mode for new players. CS: GO has it, I think it's a great idea. PUBG is old enough now that it's incredibly unwelcoming to players, to its detriment. If you hop onto Red Orchestra 2 - or like I say, any FPS - you'll find the same. So add bots, and make it fun for more people. Give new players a chance to catch the bug and become the next top players. But forced bots in solo and duos, or PGC settings squads bot-free, in this new ranked mode, for the higher performing players? The real life player count/queues are such that you'll always have bots in your game, regardless. My pubg.op.gg page shows me caning tons of these drones and the percentage of bots in my game is still huge - because they'll still fill the lobby up if the players don't exist. The idea that you'll see fewer when you score higher is technically true, but the playerbase isn't there to support PUBG Corp's desire/code for that. 

The PUBG users are pretty much the most whinging playerbase on the planet because it's such a frustratingly janky game at times, and PUBG Corp often slip up. Their version history's abysmal, for example. Bugs that aren't returning every other patch stick around for years. I've never been one of the quick to complain, because I think you risk being entitled and overly critical in the guise of appearing like an expert, and I have no idea why you'd play - I just wouldn't. I've rolled my eyes at the whiners for 3 years. But I believe the bots are something different and I hope you can respect that - especially when fair criticism is coming from the more measured areas of the playerbase for the first time. 

To boil it down: the bots kill the parts of PUBG that I (and many other players) value the most. When you've got a kilometre of ground with few defilades and trees and gentle ridges to play and you want to pull off a long flank to get into the zone out of sightlines, a bot spawning on you in those 4 minutes because you've had no 'action' fucks it. Ghillie suits and smokes? Don't work with them. The bots being highly unskilled isn't even the core problem with them, it's that they interrupt the flow of your game and your fights with people and give you away at every turn. Most great players stay in a fight with 1hp - these infamous single tap SMG sniping bots that I keep meeting have screwed some clutch fights already, in the first few days, for me or my opponents. There's a crucial difference between being third-partied by players you've not accounted for and bots that you can't account for. I've rolled up on duos making plays because a bot spawned on them and put a big pin on their location. The natural arrangement of where human opponents land and push and think across the land is intrinsic to the game, and is now gone. Bots don't hotdrop. You don't get to choose the pace of your game if you're one of those players who like to land on the outskirts and loot up for 20 minutes getting no combat experience. Suddenly bots turn up on your bridge camp and your spike trap gas-can troll setup's down the pan. Bots interfering stops funny mischief, game sense and madly rewarding plays and hunts. I respect the players that don't go so deep into the game and probably still get roughly the same amount of satisfaction from it, but it'd be nice to keep bots out of those who play the game at the high-level. Also known as the core audience in most old games. 

• Upvote 6

I haven't played PUBG for ages after being pretty addicted when it launched on PC.

When people were going on about bots I thought they meant bots would make up players so a game could start with 100 people quickly even if there were only 50 people joining a particular lobby. But it's actually bots spawning during the game to stop camping? Is that right? Seems like an odd thing to add.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that seems bizarre. I was impressed by them managing to do a CPU player that played a BR game, but it sounds like they just teleport them in to give you some action? How odd. (What if they kill you, do they disappear?) Does Fortnite do the same?

9 minutes ago, spork said:

I haven't played PUBG for ages after being pretty addicted when it launched on PC.

When people were going on about bots I thought they meant bots would make up players so a game could start with 100 people quickly even if there were only 50 people joining a particular lobby. But it's actually bots spawning during the game to stop camping? Is that right? Seems like an odd thing to add.

The lobby does fill up with bots (which parachute by floating down without leaning into it like the AFKers do, so you can just shoot them out of the sky), but they also spawn later in the game on players with an amount of loot - as they can't loot, or drive, or lean, use throwables... or kill, really. They also barely prioritise the blue. Also if you shoot them, or near them, they stand stock still for a good 3 seconds. They'll spawn on you if you've not had much action in the last 4 mins, or if you run into them. Also, their deaths don't always impact the player count, so it's all rather wooly and strange. 

The bots do spawn to fill up the lobby, but not all of them are there from the start in the plane dropping with other players. Some of them are kept basically invisible until later, I assume to stop all the bots getting killed immediately.

Isn't the point of ranked mode to allow all the people who hate the idea of bots and stuff to avoid them? It would be nice to have some control over how many you get in standard games, and have solo ranked, but again I gave up thinking that they'd change those types of things ages ago. The PUBG player base is extremely whiny, and I've tried my best to just enjoy the game because there's so much to love about it. But at the same time there's been frequent instances of the playerbase universally requesting things to be outright told no. They've been adjusting the game for esports to make it more fun to play but consistently denied the general player base those improvements. They've spent massive resources supporting their janky, worthless first person mode at the expense of the actual game they designed. The development of PUBG has been pretty messy, and I don't really see how this bot fuckup is any bigger than the endless list of fuckups over the last few years. 

• Empathy 1

But I'll address the rest of it. Broker! 1500 hours might just be enough of a game, you know! You wouldn't be mad for it not being fun anymore. Yeah, they've said no to a lot of things but the game that exists still captured the hearts of millions for a time. 

And yes, that's the idea of ranked (like it's the idea that signifantly fewer bots will be in better players' games). Ranked with no solos or duos, and no 100 man squads on traditional settings (it's 64 man squads on competitive PGC settings). You can see why this is a disappointment for some. 

Sorry I shouldn’t let my frustration with them adding FPP bleed out, that’s my crazy. 

I think it’s also probably not that big of a deal for me because I stopped playing months ago, largely due to the game changing more and more things in ways that I thought were rubbish.

Is the player base just to small to support all the queues now?

It is. Only Erangel and Karakin available for solos on non-weekend peak times in EU, NA dead for months so they implemented forced random map selection in season 6 in all modes. 

I noticed that after booting up the game and getting a little cutscene about new Vikendi it told me I’d be waiting ten minutes for a game on it. 

I dunno though. This was an open goal for them. They were first out of the gate and had record numbers on steam. Then there was a good year where they broke stuff, changed stuff and loaded it with micro transactions and battle passes and other revenue streams. I guess that’s why the player base left.

• Upvote 1

Oh my god, no wonder we were doing well as it got later, our second to last game last night had six human players in it :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Rule said:

I've rolled my eyes at the whiners for 3 years.

If you've got something to say to me, just fucking say it.

After 600 or so hours, I'm pretty confident Steam will be giving me my money back on this one. I need something fucking back from those 600 hours other than despair and a vague sense of unease.

• Empathy 1

@Rob Rule sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive with the term 'sweats'.

My sense is that your grievance is more with the implementation of bots and the way they were forced on the community than their existence per-se. I wasn't aware that they randomly spawn mid game, that's shit for the reasons you cite. But I do think the developer was right to take action here as the game's population is dwindling towards the hardcore and the game has such an aggressive and multi-dimensional learning curve. 

Hopefully the ranked mode will provide the dedicated with the competitive, pure experience they're looking for whilst casual mode provides a graduated entry point for new players and keeps the player base healthier in the long run. 

Point in case, I had a game of duos with a friend a few months back and it was a total non-starter for him getting curb stomped before he could even equip a weapon. I then played the game with a different friend on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure he's hooked because he's got a similar experience to what we all received when the game was in its earlier days with a lower average skill of player. 

Ultimately the game is incredible, it's my favourite game ever and I'm sure the Dev will continuously improve the experience for players as they have historically.

23 hours ago, Hass said:

I'm sure the Dev will continuously improve the experience for players as they have historically.

:huh:

• Upvote 1

So I've played a fair bit in the last few weeks, mainly because a friend has been around again and it's one of the things we've played a lot of together in the past. I think that the issues with bots being spawned to attack you at inconvenient times are dramatically worse at lower skill levels, and a few hours play has gotten us into games that are about half humans to half bots. The bots don't seem to spawn near you suddenly after the first two phases, because after that they never suddenly run up to your positions and are more commonly seen running away from the zone with no helmet despite the fact it's several phases in. They're quite easy to spot, and usually only really show up during the looting phase and first rotation if you picked somewhere quiet to land or picked somewhere big and nobody else did. We did have one weird game where we landed at some small buildings and bots just kept on coming, resulting in us getting about ten kills each and still coming fifth, but genrally it's very obvious that all the players in the last few circles are human. We've only had one game where our final opponent was a bot, which was disappointing, but largely it just fills out the games to make the waiting a bit better. I know it's unpopular and obviously I'm playing with friends so it's more fun but I really like the changes and the way the game feels at the moment.

On 23/05/2020 at 08:30, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

One game, 7 kills. Pretty sure they were all bots. Two I saw went behind cover, only to seemingly vanish and spawn elsewhere for someone with less frags to shoot. What a shitshow.

I've not seen any bots despawn at all, but they do behave weirdly. It's more likely that they just jogged off and you missed it. They don't stay still behind cover for protracted periods, and don't move or take cover in pairs, so they're always free to just sprint away, and they are very, very good at breaking line of sight with you, I assume because it's an easy thing to calculate with a quick line trace. This means they'll often duck behind a wall, and immediately crouch walk into another position where you can't see them, stand up and run the fuck away.

The game seems to have picked up a bit recently (a combination of free weekend plus old players (me included) coming back to frag a few bots in tourist mode I guess) so full lobbies are common again at peak times. I think the time and map you play determines bots more than rank or skill. Is this even monitored out of the specific ranked lobbies any more? In any case, I've seen 6KD streamers get 90% bot lobbies at odd hours.

I've really enjoyed going back to it though, despite and possibly even due to the less oppressive feel of the game in the light of bots, but I'm still seeing some pretty negative stuff due to them. A guy in top five got pushed by a bot the other day which completely gave away his position and cost him a potential win. I got into a 300m fight with a guy who was clearly better than me (though when I looted him the 15x may have helped) who got pushed by a bot and allowed me an easy headshot whilst he was distracted. I would have been so mad if I were him.

I've definitely seen bots despawn. I'm old but not blind. See a bot in a compound in the middle of nowhere, run toward it, hear footsteps at 30 meters or so, get to compound - empty. It's happened a good number of times. It's odd.

It's still by far the best battle royale though. Full lobbies on Miramar --> best BR experience for me.

• Upvote 1

Depends what maps you play; Erangel and Karakin EU always had games available - even solos, which are first to die - between 11am and midnight with waits under a minute. Miramar and Vikendi/Sanhok flicker on and off, with Miramar usually unavailable to select in solos. Other regions of the world are dead, though, so EU got bots too. 

There are ingame replays of bots respawning madly about the map occasionally, but it's quite rare and it seems like it's a bug. They do also just camp in compounds stock still so if you don't check every last corner, they're not necessarily gone, just being still. 

I played this for 5 hours on Saturday night (Stadia with Cross-Play to XBox and PS4) and it was great. Hardly any bots given my skill / XP ranking (60? not super high) and plenty of close games that never felt on the right side of sweaty. Hard but fair.

I did however encounter one egregious instance of Radar usage which was highly annoying. 

Assuming this is true, Sanhok's getting the 2.0 treatment for Season 8.  That's Bootcamp, the best balanced hotdrop area, robbed of its uniquity. 

Also, the first pic looks like docks, sans all the bespoke stuff like ships, cranes etc. Strange!

Also, horn-tooting moment: I got 16 solo chickens in the last 7 days, with 1 duo win. And @Nathan Wind and I wiped wackyjacky/chocotaco in an exquisite bridgecamp. 

• Upvote 3