Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

I got an a 14” Ikegami broadcast monitor yesterday from a dude on another forum. Nice enough picture but I’ll need to adjust it a bit. It's barebones, so geometry is handled from pots on the control board. 

Here it is with a 9” Sony PVM on top. 

ADB8F584-86BB-4737-B3C3-EDCA0FEFED61.thumb.jpeg.d22a3977f6c922806a9c71fa89867d81.jpeg

I’m waiting on a SCART to BNC adapter before doing any tweaking using the 240p test suite as a guideline. 

When I bought my Sony PVM, I got a home removal's company to transport it from London to Scotland! 

It was not cheap and totally excessive, but it also arrived perfectly, so certainly was worth it in the end. 

When I bought mine I had it transported from Scotland to London in a wheeled flight case in the back of a guy's van. £16 for the PVM, £100 for the courier. Ended up riding it down a hill to our front door. :lol:

Trying some calibration with 240p test suite via composite because I'm waiting for SCART to BNC cables but it still looks pretty sweet! The monitor is curved, so the lines on the right don't look straight, but I *think* they're okay viewed head on.

IMG_6832.thumb.jpeg.c7292d5bedee7192c69a27cc1a7c8e09.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Work was throwing this out so I nabbed it before it got anymore damaged, it's pretty mint bar the small nick on one side. Wife thinks I'm a bit silly and to be honest I didn't really think about were I was going to put it. Never owned a pvm or bvm before but it seems I've now started falling down this rabbit hole.

It's a PVM-2950QM, weighs 52Kg so I don't think this will ever be sold unless it's local pickup. Considering making a custom cabinet for it.

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Sybernetix said:

Wife thinks I'm a bit silly

Tell her I said she's a bit silly.

And you'd be very silly to get rid of that.

Also, get me a job where you work. Cheers.

You don't wanna work for the NHS! Last year has been a little mental. 😬 Was used as a monitor for some scopes, only had a single bnc with it so must have been using composite 🤮.

I have also checked for rectum burn in, glad to say not present!

9 minutes ago, Sybernetix said:

You don't wanna work for the NHS! Last year has been a little mental. 😬 Was used as a monitor for some scopes, only had a single bnc with it so must have been using composite 🤮.

I have also checked for rectum burn in, glad to say not present!

endoscopic monitor?

I am honestly not sure, it was in the WEEE trash with other electrical crap over it. First thing I noticed is games are a lot more fun when LCD latency is not there, I don't die on the first levels anymore.

From a bit of research the TV has a built in amp so ill get some speakers, the originals are to hard to find sadly. A start of a new project I think! That MiSTer looks interesting 😁

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

It’s mad to think a couple of grand worth of CRT was about to get recycled!

I work in an endoscopic theatre too, some of the disposable stuff is thousands of pounds a go. 

Does this look any good to those in the know? Dont think I'll ever be in the market for a PVM but feel I need to bag a decent CRT to put aside for when the man cave finally gets erected (pipedream for now but divorce / kids flying the nest is always a distant hope)

https://ebay.us/7CNCbW

9 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Does this look any good to those in the know? Dont think I'll ever be in the market for a PVM but feel I need to bag a decent CRT to put aside for when the man cave finally gets erected (pipedream for now but divorce / kids flying the nest is always a distant hope)

https://ebay.us/7CNCbW

Nobody wants 16:9 CRTs generally because the consoles that look good on them don't tend to support widescreen on the majority of games, and they are MASSIVE even compared to the bigger 4:3 ones. I certainly wouldn't pay any money for one as generally people can't give them away, at least where I live.

12 hours ago, mikejenkins said:

Nobody wants 16:9 CRTs generally because the consoles that look good on them don't tend to support widescreen on the majority of games, and they are MASSIVE even compared to the bigger 4:3 ones. I certainly wouldn't pay any money for one as generally people can't give them away, at least where I live.

Also, many "hi res" CRTs can often have pretty shit/slow processing so you actually get lag unlike a bog standard CRT.

I agree with @Swainy, I'm not sure if it's because I played loads of games on a little CRT when I was younger or some other reason, but for everything other than vert shooters a 14" Sony is perfect. I have a pair of PVM's set up and even on composite video they look superb.

6 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Also, many "hi res" CRTs can often have pretty shit/slow processing so you actually get lag unlike a bog standard CRT.

Really? I’ll have to get rid of my 800 TVL pvms/bvms now and try to track down a Bush consumer set.....

9 hours ago, Spoonman said:

2 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Really? I’ll have to get rid of my 800 TVL pvms/bvms now and try to track down a Bush consumer set.....

What I’m pretty sure he is referring to, are the component input 480p widescreen consumer sets from just before the HDTV boom. 

Yes, these have some of the worst input lag of everything sometimes hitting 150ms. 

Im sure it’s not a slight on your collection of 800 TVL monitors. Yes, they’re obviously lag free. 

10 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

What I’m pretty sure he is referring too, are the component input 480p widescreen consumer sets from just before the HDTV boom. 

Yes, these have some of the worst input lag of everything sometimes hitting 150ms. 

Im sure it’s not a slight on your collection of 800 TVL monitors. Yes, they’re obviously lag free. 

I think HDTVs (crt) upscale everything that’s a non HD source to 1080i, a inducing quite a bit of lag too.

Those CRT TV consumer types with component and VGA were always enticing, now you tell me they have lag, time to put that thought to bed. 

Indeed, I did not mean "800 TVL pvms/bvms", the TVs that upscale to 1080i etc, often 16:9 but not always, are abysmal for any gaming that requires anything approaching a precision input.

I was just trying to be helpful.

Pixel art games played on LCD screens are like painted tabletop miniatures where the wet blending and glazing steps have been completely forgotten about, therefore only providing half the job.

Then you have the motion resolution being compromised on top of that, as well as response latency which directly affects the gameplay.

Turns out there is another 2950QM at work that is apparently still in use, but i would imagine they must be about to retire it also. Keeping my eyes peeled, this one will make it to market.

On another note also bought a 1chip snes!

• 1 month later...

I'm back in the game after purchasing a Sony 29" consumer CRT from eBay earlier this week.  This one holds real nostalgia for me as I had this exact model, brand new some time in the mid to late 90s (when I was around 15 or 16 years old IIRC).  

I paid £60 and had an enjoyable 100 mile round trip to collect it from a very nice guy who'd owned the set from brand new (he reckoned it was purchased in 2001).  It was quite grubby when I get it and has 19,000 hours on it.  Here are some pics of it after unloading from my car

Dirty CRT - 6.jpeg

Dirty CRT - 5.jpeg

Dirty CRT - 4.jpeg

Dirty CRT - 3.jpeg

Dirty CRT - 2.jpeg

Dirty CRT - 1.jpeg