rllmuk
JohnC

Mindhunter - Netflix and Fincher

11 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I'm willing to bet that in season 3 

Reveal hidden contents

Tench's kid

Either starts displaying behaviours of the MacDonald Triad or sustains a really nasty knock to the head that lays him out for a while.

I'm 4 episodes in and he's showing one of the triad already...

Spoiler

They specifically mention bed wetting. They've also hung a lampshade on head injuries, although not relating to Tench's kid.

I actually don't really like that storyline thus far. It's a bit on the nose and I've it started in earnest the show is pointedly drawing connections between the units work and it. But the show's so good I'm sure it'll come around.

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

I actually don't really like that storyline thus far. It's a bit on the nose and I've it started in earnest the show is pointedly drawing connections between the units work and it

I fucking hate it. For an absolutely cracking show, with some really good depth to the characters, this feels like...

Spoiler

...student level writing. We do NOT need Tench's kid to be a fucking serial killer. I trusted this show so much I even went and Wiki'd the characters to see who they were really based on and of course Tench's equivalent doesn't have a psycho for an "adopted" child - he has three kids, all living normal lives as far as Wiki is concerned. But the powers that be have decided that is he? Isn't he? story line - and it sucks. Sure show his marriage under strain, show his kid playing up, maybe even getting into the normal sort of kid trouble - how embarrassing for an FBI agent would it be if his kid was caught stealing for instance? But to have "witnessed" a murder of another child and to be showing all the signs of a potential killer? <_<

Naaaah, it breaks the reality that this programme was trying to reflect, with the actual recordings and real life killers.

Otherwise it was very very good, nice teasing of crazy Kansas, and the building of momentum behind their department. The FBI politics, their social lives (I agree that Wendy was underused - but perhaps that was a point in itself in the male dominated world of the FBI in 1980). And the frustration and time consumption of chasing down the Atlanta killer was all realised excellently.

Very good TV series, let down by one poorly thought out plot line that removes us from the reality they are attempting to re-tell.

2 hours ago, Danster said:

I fucking hate it. For an absolutely cracking show, with some really good depth to the characters, this feels like...

Reveal hidden contents

...student level writing. We do NOT need Tench's kid to be a fucking serial killer. I trusted this show so much I even went and Wiki'd the characters to see who they were really based on and of course Tench's equivalent doesn't have a psycho for an "adopted" child - he has three kids, all living normal lives as far as Wiki is concerned. But the powers that be have decided that is he? Isn't he? story line - and it sucks. Sure show his marriage under strain, show his kid playing up, maybe even getting into the normal sort of kid trouble - how embarrassing for an FBI agent would it be if his kid was caught stealing for instance? But to have "witnessed" a murder of another child and to be showing all the signs of a potential killer? <_<

Naaaah, it breaks the reality that this programme was trying to reflect, with the actual recordings and real life killers.

Otherwise it was very very good, nice teasing of crazy Kansas, and the building of momentum behind their department. The FBI politics, their social lives (I agree that Wendy was underused - but perhaps that was a point in itself in the male dominated world of the FBI in 1980). And the frustration and time consumption of chasing down the Atlanta killer was all realised excellently.

Very good TV series, let down by one poorly thought out plot line that removes us from the reality they are attempting to re-tell.

Totally agree with this.

That sub plot is glaringly, stupidly, awful and totally unnecessary...

Yeah but won't it be great when it turns out to be nothing but a wee wobble, and it's just another sign of how Tench is letting his job invade his family life, and how the audience went with him down that dark path?

There is that too, but I have to admit I'm not keen on that particular storyline either. It's more than a touch contrived.

I've got one episode left. While I may not be keen on the plotline we're talking about, you have to hand it to Holt McAllany, he's nailing every scene he's in. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've got one episode left. While I may not be keen on the plotline we're talking about, you have to hand it to Holt McAllany, he's nailing every scene he's in. 

He makes me want to start smoking again...!

Enjoying season 2 but the colour grading is insane. We get it, the 70s are yellow and absolutely everything is the same shade of brown, gold or yellow. There’s something I don’t know the technical term for crushing this weird yellow orange hue on everyone’s face. The Boys has it at times too. Any skin tone in shadow looks a sickly shade of gold.

10 hours ago, Moz said:

Enjoying season 2 but the colour grading is insane. We get it, the 70s are yellow and absolutely everything is the same shade of brown, gold or yellow. There’s something I don’t know the technical term for crushing this weird yellow orange hue on everyone’s face. The Boys has it at times too. Any skin tone in shadow looks a sickly shade of gold.

I suspect its an 'artistic vision' thing, I quite like the colour palette but shooting in 2.35:1 for a show designed to be shown on tv screens always does my head in as guarantees everybody watching gets stupid borders for no reason/benefit.

Watched the opening 2 episodes of Mindunters Season 2 last night and fell in love again.

I could watch the 4 main detectives investigating an aircraft hanger all day, with their characters and Fincher's direction and cinematography. :wub:

Like others, I did notice the colour grading though. It looked like everyone had jaundice. I could not work out if it was make up, style choice on the colour or something was wrong with my TV or odd compression through Netflix.

I watched in HDR* and didn't really notice anything out of sorts other than the fact that overall colour palette was a bit yellowish, but I believe that's deliberate. 

*I actually found it to be a rather dark HDR image, but otherwise pretty good.

8 hours ago, Gotters said:

I suspect its an 'artistic vision' thing, I quite like the colour palette but shooting in 2.35:1 for a show designed to be shown on tv screens always does my head in as guarantees everybody watching gets stupid borders for no reason/benefit.

The mustard yellow Fincher color grading of every scene is a bit too extreme, it's worse if you've set your TV slightly warm (which you should do) and worse again in HDR. It's not just the makeup, because there are moments when they hold up photos of people (like a file containing the photo of one of the missing kids) and the face still looks yellow, despite it probably being a stock photo of a black child. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MindHunter/search?q=yellow&restrict_sr=on&include_over_18=on&sort=relevance&t=all

image.thumb.png.750276438b64fbf03ba69b7058727e87.png

6 minutes ago, Moz said:

The mustard yellow Fincher color grading of every scene is a bit too extreme, it's worse if you've set your TV slightly warm (which you should do) and worse again in HDR. It's not just the makeup, because there are moments when they hold up photos of people (like a file containing the photo of one of the missing kids) and the face still looks yellow, despite it probably being a stock photo of a black child. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MindHunter/search?q=yellow&restrict_sr=on&include_over_18=on&sort=relevance&t=all

image.thumb.png.750276438b64fbf03ba69b7058727e87.png

Glasgow tan.

• Upvote 1

The police lights in episode 6 were awful. It looked weird, red and blue lens flare streaks. They should have used cgi during that scene for the lights.

Watched up to episode 7. Really enjoying it again. I miss Kemper though. 

I actually thought this was a pretty decent advert for Dolby Vision (I watched on an Apple TV 4K and LG B8 OLED). 

As for the actual season itself it was quite captivating and now I’ve read up on the real events it’s fair to say they did a really good job of capturing what genuinely happened. 

The case was reopened in March 2019 so you have to wonder where they trying to get ahead of the release of this show.