rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

Yeah, this year, we'll probably get Forza Horizon 3 as a Games with Gold game about August-ish, if it's got the same license agreement as the other games. It'll be delisted about a month after that. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, carlospie said:

Ah so if I was going to get a series x it would be pointless getting it now and banking the games? 

Have you got an Xbox one? If so I’d say it’s deffo worth getting GPU now anyway as the £1 a month for up to three years offer (insane value / one of the best deals in gaming ever imo) is still on and who knows when that might get pulled. 

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

Have you got an Xbox one? If so I’d say it’s deffo worth getting GPU now anyway as the £1 a month for up to three years offer (insane value / one of the best deals in gaming ever imo) is still on and who knows when that might get pulled. 

Nah not got one at all

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Nah not got one at all

Gaming PC?

12 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I keep meaning to download Quantum Break, never managed to finish it when owning on disc and I love Alan Wake and Control.

Since it's on Game Pass, go for it but be warned that it's not a patch on those games.

• Upvote 2

That's a really good selection. The best two games I've found on the service, hands down, have been Slay the Spire and Lonely Mountains: Downhill, and it's good to see they're both present and correct on your list. Gears Tactics seems surprisingly good from what I've played of it so far, too.

Not sure about Kingdom Hearts III though, isn't it supposed to be almost incomprehensible if you haven't played every other game in the series?

• Upvote 1

I started KH3 - watched the “previously on Kingdom Hearts” vids and still had no clue what was going on. The game then started and I sat through what seemed like 90% cut scene 10% game for a couple of hours and gave up. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mortis said:

I started KH3 - watched the “previously on Kingdom Hearts” vids and still had no clue what was going on. The game then started and I sat through what seemed like 90% cut scene 10% game for a couple of hours and gave up. 

This is the KH experience tbh. I like them for the spectacle but they are bafflingly incoherent. 

22 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

That's a really good selection. The best two games I've found on the service, hands down, have been Slay the Spire and Lonely Mountains: Downhill, and it's good to see they're both present and correct on your list. Gears Tactics seems surprisingly good from what I've played of it so far, too.

Not sure about Kingdom Hearts III though, isn't it supposed to be almost incomprehensible if you haven't played every other game in the series?

16 minutes ago, Mortis said:

KH III is a really odd one. Personally, I've not played it, but have watched it streamed and it looked massively shit. Even those streamers that were huge fans of the series seemed to slam it massively. Yet it has 85+ review averages across all of the review agregators. Even the metacritic user score is 81, which is usually an indicator that the game is as good as the critics claim. The lowest score I can find is 75 for the IGDB user score. Personally, I won't be playing it, but some people obviously get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

In a way, it is a really odd choice for game pass as it is an established series, which appears to be hard for newcomers to get in to. KINGDOM HEARTS HD I.5 + II.5 REMIX would have seemed like a much more logical starting point for the series on game pass, but again, I haven't played that to really judge.

6 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

KH III is a really odd one. Personally, I've not played it, but have watched it streamed and it looked massively shit. Even those streamers that were huge fans of the series seemed to slam it massively. Yet it has 85+ review averages across all of the review agregators. Even the metacritic user score is 81, which is usually an indicator that the game is as good as the critics claim. The lowest score I can find is 75 for the IGDB user score. Personally, I won't be playing it, but some people obviously get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

It's why review scores aren't always a good indicator, remember Assassin's Creed III got 9s across the board and subsequently most people found it far less fun than the Ezio trilogy. In that case it was most likely reviewers taking the popularity of the series into account, and the same thing may have happened with KH3. It's all subjective of course so who knows, but instead of looking like "a game that isn't for me but probably great if you like this sort of thing", from the outside looking in it's almost impossible to see what's supposed to be good about it. It's certainly the odd one out on your (excellent) list.

Review scores are meaningless really, I'm still enjoying Bleeding Edge and can honestly say it's the most fun I've had with a videogame in 3+ years but the reviews just don't get it at all.

@BeeJay it's your list, so you could go beyond the raw math at your own discretion. If so, may I suggest replacing KH3 with Yakuza Zero? It's one of the best games ever regardless of whatever it scored, being a niche series back when it came out and all.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@BeeJay it's your list, so you could go beyond the raw math at your own discretion. If so, may I suggest replacing KH3 with Yakuza Zero? It's one of the best games ever regardless of whatever it scored, being a niche series back when it came out and all.

Yes, I can always do that for the curated lists, but I am more interested in the algorithm and the scalability of the tool. To put a systematic change in place, I'd need to find a factor which represents the gut feel that KHIII shouldn't be so high. In a few years time, I think most games will be delivered by subscritpion services and I want to build the tool to be scaleable across potentially 10s of thousands of games. Current subscription games in my model is about 700. The obvious factor that would drag KHIII back a little is the user reviews which I need to look in to the APIs for the likes of IGDB, xbox store, metacritic, opencritic, steam etc and will take some time. I already have an algorithm for making manual adjustments to data but I want the system to be as automated as possible.

I've done some quick numbers and KHIII does stand out as an anomaly in terms of discrepency between user score and critics score on igdb (75 - 90,  -15). Most of the games around it in the rankings vary between about -4 and +3. Of the 10 that I looked at Forza Horizon 4 had the 2nd biggest negetive difference of -8, so it may be possible to mathmatically determine KHIII to be a statistical anomaly in terms of difference between critics score and user score.

@Mr. Gerbik I think for the curated lists, in future, I will manually put in user score to ensure that the top 20 is representative of both critic and user score. In the background I'll work on a way to automate picking up user scores.

• Upvote 1

Delighted about RDR2. Been hovering over the buy button for a while but hesitated as I’m not sure I will have the time to dedicate to it. Now I can find out!

I'm really enjoying Journey to the Savage Planet at the moment. The combat could be better (it feels like it's missing a bit of auto-aim on console) but overall it's just what I needed after the good but intensely story heavy FF7 remake. Surprised by how much it apes Metroid Prime right down to how the double jump boost feels and the scanning. Not quite as good obviously but a decent facsimile. 

PC Gamepass also gets the best Final Fantasy!

And the worst Halo!

PC_XGP_ComingSoon.jpg

• Upvote 3

From reading this forum over the years I've learned that FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, and FFXII are all the single best FF, while FFVIII, FFX, and FFXIII are all the single worst FF.

I love the notion that there's a definitive Final Fantasy, seeing as there's at least 15 of the fucking things and they're all different from one a other.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

From reading this forum over the years I've learned that FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, and FFXII are all the single best FF, while FFVIII, FFX, and FFXIII are all the single worst FF.

FFXIV and FFXI are missing from the best FF list. :quote:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

FFXIV and FFXI are missing from the best FF list. :quote:

MMOS DONT COUNT, N00B

MMOs are the only real RPGs mate.

But in all seriousness, if you're (not you directly, Moose) an FF fan and you skipped XI and XIV due to them being MMOs, you should at least listen to the soundtracks because they're amazing.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ff15 is its whole own calibre of shite

24 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

MMOs are the only real RPGs mate.

But in all seriousness, if you're (not you directly, Moose) an FF fan and you skipped XI and XIV due to them being MMOs, you should at least listen to the soundtracks because they're amazing.

I have XI's soundtrack on CD somewhere. I played some of XIV and enjoyed it but MMOs don't fit into my gaming lifestyle these days.

12 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Ff15 is its whole own calibre of shite

First rule of Final Fantasy is we don't talk about Final Fantasy XV.

• Upvote 2