Xbox Game Pass

Finished Deliver Us To The Moon - it's not a bad B game. As a walking simulator with slightly more interactivity it passed the time well, and at about five hours long it was wrapping up as I was beginning to get bored of it.

Tacoma was much, much better though. If you're after a sci-fi game where you wander around and discover a story through interacting with holograms etc, just play Tacoma.

What are my options for controller support with the PC version of GP if I don't own a XBONE controller? Can I use my Switch Pro Controller, like on Steam? I've got one of those 8bitDo Bluetooth adapters, if that makes a difference.

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What are my options for controller support with the PC version of GP if I don't own a XBONE controller? Can I use my Switch Pro Controller, like on Steam? I've got one of those 8bitDo Bluetooth adapters, if that makes a difference.

A quick Google suggests that there are reported issues. I use an old wired 360 pad without any issues which would be a cheaper option than an XBONE pad.

Just now, earlymodernsteve said:

A quick Google suggests that there are reported issues. I use an old wired 360 pad without any issues which would be a cheaper option than an XBONE pad.

I've had a look myself and it seems that there's a workaround with the 8BitDo adapter mapping your Pro Controller like a 360/XBONE pad, but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I think you have to connect the Pro Controller to the adapter, as opposed to Windows' Bluetooth, and then hold down certain buttons to get it to behave like an Xbox pad.

Just now, Jamie John said:

I've had a look myself and it seems that there's a workaround with the 8BitDo adapter mapping your Pro Controller like a 360/XBONE pad, but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I think you have to connect the Pro Controller to the adapter, as opposed to Windows' Bluetooth, and then hold down certain buttons to get it to behave like an Xbox pad.

Good luck. I remember early days with Steam being a pain in this regard before they standardised inputs. The current Gamepass PC lineup is ridiculous value so well worth the effort to get things working :) Or, failing that, the saving on games would cover a XBONE pad...

17 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Good luck. I remember early days with Steam being a pain in this regard before they standardised inputs. The current Gamepass PC lineup is ridiculous value so well worth the effort to get things working :) Or, failing that, the saving on games would cover a XBONE pad...

Aye, I've just built a gaming PC for the first time and have paid my pound for my first month of PC Xbox Game Pass (or whatever the bloody hell it's called). Gears 5 is currently downloading (albeit very slowly), as I thought it would be a good way to test out my new GPU. I'll try to get the Pro Controller working. If not, I've probably got an old 360 pad I can dig out.

Do you know if PC Game Pass games support controller rumble on 360 controllers?

IMG_20200430_185956.thumb.jpg.4d60554a58e7cbb8499e1173ae85a9f0.jpg

Here's Moving Out on PC supporting

1 x Xbox One controller

1 x Switch Pro controller

2 x Dualshock 2 controllers

with all the button prompts working correctly.

I just connected them all via Bluetooth with no additional software or faffing required.

The support for non-Mircosoft controllers on Gamepass is patchy, but support on Steam is universal although you're likely to get Xbox button prompts in most games.

49 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Aye, I've just built a gaming PC for the first time and have paid my pound for my first month of PC Xbox Game Pass (or whatever the bloody hell it's called). Gears 5 is currently downloading (albeit very slowly), as I thought it would be a good way to test out my new GPU. I'll try to get the Pro Controller working. If not, I've probably got an old 360 pad I can dig out.

Do you know if PC Game Pass games support controller rumble on 360 controllers?

Fwiw, if you went to the trouble of investing in a proper gaming PC, it's well worth investing in its defacto standard controller imho. XB1 controllers just work 99% of the time (not 100% because lol PC gaming) and it saves you a lot of faffing about. Plug in, it just works, feels almost console like. Again, imho.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Fwiw, if you went to the trouble of investing in a proper gaming PC, it's well worth investing in its defacto standard controller imho. XB1 controllers just work 99% of the time (not 100% because lol PC gaming) and it saves you a lot of faffing about. Plug in, it just works, feels almost console like. Again, imho.

Agree... It's one thing that is probably the cheapest part of a PC build that you'll probably spend most of your time interacting with and will add to the experience.Everything just works as it should. Also it's a great pad.... :) Always things people overlook sometimes on PC builds. Mouse, Keyboard, Pad and Monitor are the things you'll use most so make sure they are of decent quality.....

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

13 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Agree... It's one thing that is probably the cheapest part of a PC build that you'll probably spend most of your time interacting with and will add to the experience.Everything just works as it should. Also it's a great pad.... :) Always things people overlook sometimes on PC builds. Mouse, Keyboard, Pad and Monitor are the things you'll use most so make sure they are of decent quality.....

I'm definitely planning on picking one up soon, to add to my growing collection of videogame controllers, but after splurging on the PC and all the associated guff, I'm a bit low on funds.

@Mr. Gerbik - when you say 'plug it in' do you mean connect it via Bluetooth? I can still use an XBone pad wirelessly, right?

Separately, PC Game Pass's download times are friggin slooooooow, aren't they? Gears 5 is currently downloading at a whopping 1mb/s. Is there an equivalent of suspend and resume in Windows? I'm presuming the download will just pause if I go into sleep mode, but I may be wrong.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm definitely planning on picking one up soon, to add to my growing collection of videogame controllers, but after splurging on the PC and all the associated guff, I'm a bit low on funds.

@Mr. Gerbik - when you say 'plug it in' do you mean connect it via Bluetooth? I can still use an XBone pad wirelessly, right?

yes. It’ll connect over Bluetooth if you have that (just don’t buy a second hand one - early Xbox one controllers, up to and including the first elite controller, didn’t support Bluetooth).

12 hours ago, womblingfree said:

@bear is the Netflix EU rule country dependant? There have always been local film quotas in many countries, and in countries like France where the quota is quite high,  a French movie can easily make its money back. In the U.K. it unfortunately led to quota-fillers done on the cheap to meet targets such as Confessions of a Window Cleaner and worse, before being scrapped.

Could work EU wide, but then that would just mean much of the quota being met by countries with already established publishers. Of course it could result in more investment available to allow wider members to grow their developments and publishing. None of which helps the U.K. anymore of course.

Isn't that partially the EU trying to extract film and tv production from the UK post Brexit?

22 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Isn't that partially the EU trying to extract film and tv production from the UK post Brexit?

European countries have always had quotas, including the U.K. at some point since way before the EU was a thing. As for competing for film and TV production, sounds like business as usual.

The only games that shouldn't leave Gamepass are the MS exclusives so your Halo's, Gears, Fables etc.

I keep meaning to download Quantum Break, never managed to finish it when owning on disc and I love Alan Wake and Control.

On 03/05/2020 at 19:30, womblingfree said:

@bear is the Netflix EU rule country dependant? There have always been local film quotas in many countries, and in countries like France where the quota is quite high,  a French movie can easily make its money back. In the U.K. it unfortunately led to quota-fillers done on the cheap to meet targets such as Confessions of a Window Cleaner and worse, before being scrapped.

Could work EU wide, but then that would just mean much of the quota being met by countries with already established publishers. Of course it could result in more investment available to allow wider members to grow their developments and publishing. None of which helps the U.K. anymore of course.

I'm not sure of any of the details about the EU rules beyond knowing knowing Netflix were crying about it at the time. The possibility of companies being forced to support local development is something I'd like to see as it should lead to more cultures being represented in videogame form. 

5 hours ago, Jg15 said:

The only games that shouldn't leave Gamepass are the MS exclusives so your Halo's, Gears, Fables etc.

I keep meaning to download Quantum Break, never managed to finish it when owning on disc and I love Alan Wake and Control.

I'd expect Forza Horizon 4 to leave at some point.

11 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

I'd expect Forza Horizon 4 to leave at some point.

Indeed probably due to license expiry although they did bring back the original Forza Horizon a while back on games with gold so perhaps it won't get removed. As far as I understood it all MS studio games would stay on GP indefinitely only third party titles will get removed now and again.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Why? It’s been on there for 18 months now.

Car and/or music licensing. I expect the game to be completely delisted at some point. I don't see it being removed from Game Pass before that point, mind. And I'd imagine everyone will get enough notice to buy it before it disappears.

Forza Horizon 2 got 4 years FWIW.