rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

Disappointing that the console and PC games pass are so different. It makes sense for platform exclusives, but not for multi platform titles (like Stellaris and DMC V). 

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Comrade said:

XO19 planned for two weeks after Brexit in London, great plan.

And the only game available to play will be the real-life Watchdogs!

Well I'm really excited to get Age of Empires. Feels like forever ago I bought the original on the PC. I'm guessing it no longer runs on a Pentium 75 :)

It works pretty well from what Ive played, mainly tutorials so far. Awesome soundtrack.

I had to look up what 4X strategy is, though. Havent played a strategy game since Total Annihilation.

15 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Game Pass too many effing games.

Tell me about it, started Wolfenstein 2 the other night along with the original Shenmue (god has that aged badly) but I also have a load of other stuff installed like Thimbleweed Park, Old Mans Journey, Outer Wilds, Resi 4, Dead Rising 4, Hollow Knight, the Darksiders remasters and probably loads I have forgotten about. Its proper mental!

Because of Gamepass both the PS4 and Switch are gathering dust at the moment and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

• Upvote 3

Ooh, Kingdom Come is on the way! Good stuff, I was close to getting it in the recent Humble Bundle, glad I didn't. What a great service this is!

Tried playing a bit of DMC 5. Not feeling it and will probably pass on it after 3 hours playing. 

Looks amazing but the combat and gameplay feels shit compared to DMC.

Thats the thing with gamepass, if i had paid full price for DMC 5 (Which i nearly did a month ago) i would have finished it. Now i dont feel so bad just dropping it. Been this way for about 90% of the games i have played on game pass. Dont know if thats good or bad.

3 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Tried playing a bit of DMC 5. Not feeling it and will probably pass on it after 3 hours playing. 

Thats the thing with gamepass, if i had paid full price for DMC 5 (Which i nearly did a month ago) i would have finished it. Now i dont feel so bad just dropping it. Been this way for about 90% of the games i have played on game pass. Dont know if thats good or bad.

I personally think it's a great thing. Life is too short to play though things you are not enjoying through some sense of getting value/obligation. Gamepass makes it easier to find games that align with your tastes and it's not a loss if you download it and don't enjoy. 

I have fallen into the trap before of buying a game that's critically acclaimed then trying to persevere with it only to find that it really isn't my thing. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I personally think it's a great thing. Life is too short to play though things you are not enjoying through some sense of getting value/obligation. Gamepass makes it easier to find games that align with your tastes and it's not a loss if you download it and don't enjoy. 

I have fallen into the trap before of buying a game that's critically acclaimed then trying to persevere with it only to find that it really isn't my thing. 

Completely, it is a good thing and has revolutionized my attitude toward my gaming time. I'll give DMC5 a go but if it doesn't work for me, i'll just move on.

The opposite also works as well, of course - you stick something on for a quick look that you'd never been quite tempted enough to buy, and end up absolutely loving it. The reviews put me off getting Shadow of the Tomb Raider but I've absolutely rinsed it on GamePass and even bought the DLC. It's turned out to be easily my favourite of the three recent TR games.

I've also mostly stopped buying multi-platform games, especially on Switch. So many games I've bought there have appeared on GamePass now and I'm really glad I didn't splash out on either Slay the Spire or Ape Out as I nearly bought both of those.

It's an absolutely fantastic service.

All of the above is correct and exactly my experience with GP. Whenever a game I thought I'd like or should like just doesn't grab me, I ditch it without thinking twice. Previously, if I'd paid money for that game, I'd feel obligated to either stick with it or add it to my ever growing play list.

And on the other hand, I discovered a lot of games that I liked which I would otherwise never have tried for whatever reason.

On top of all of that, there's always something to play and like Garwoofoo says it has turned my PS4 into a strictly for the exclusives machine.

Best thing of all: it saves me a ton of money.

I find the "invested money so must invest time" thing a little baffling. I kind of get there must be some sense of obligation but why would you spend potentially tens of hours (and maybe even 100+) playing a game you actively don't like? It makes even less sense if you think that the sooner you figure out you don't like it the less money you'll lose by flipping it asap.

Anyway yeah, Game Pass is incredible. I'm still baffled at how they're going to make money from it. The one downside is that I get a little bit of what I call "Amiga Syndrome" from it, which is the opposite of what I was talking about above; I've not paid for the games and because there's an abundance of them I probably don't give enough of them the time they deserve and kind of abandon them. My Game Pass Pin screen is strewn with half played games.

Yeah, I'm enjoying Game Pass just for trying stuff out. This week I've started and completed Yoku's Island Express and started Devil May Cry 5 and promptly deleted that 30 minutes later. 

I don't think I've bought an Xbox game in 12 months. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Yeah, I'm enjoying Game Pass just for trying stuff out. This week I've started and completed Yoku's Island Express and started Devil May Cry 5 and promptly deleted that 30 minutes later. 

I don't think I've bought an Xbox game in 12 months. 

Yoku's is a great example. A game that I was kind of interested in but not enough to buy on switch. Played and loved the game over a few nights before moving on. It has certainly sparked my interest in DLC or a sequel, especially now that I have the confidence that I will enjoy it.

One of the big business model drivers for game pass seems to be dlc sales. Which I'm ok with up to a point. That point being when the initial releases are so gimped that we are basically reduced to a glorified demo service that we pay for. I can't see that transition happening any time soon.

Apart from first party, things end up on Game Pass after a normal release, so I'm guessing half games where you kinda need the DLC would get panned before getting added to a subscription model. Unless everything goes subscription. 

11 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

The bit where the first thirty minutes are unstoppable cutscenes and a grey boring prologue level with an unkillable? boss does make me wonder about the amount of money I’ve paid for this.

I like downloading the indie stuff that appears as I do love indie games generally. My Gamepass faves have been Edith Finch and Tacoma. I had considered buying both of them in the past.

I nearly bought Old Mans Journey, as it was on sale and I liked the look of it then saw it was available on Game Pass so went that route instead. This wont stop me from buying stuff on the grounds that it might turn up on Gamepass in the near future though (although I wont be buying any MS first party stuff if they continue their Gamepass policy obviously).