Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

I played Outer Wilds on Series X, and consider it one of the best games I've ever played. I also found the controls a but fiddly to start with, but they become second nature before you know it.

I'd recommend making use of the landing camera for landing (obviously), as it makes it a million times easier.

Been playing Evil Within 2 since it got added to Game Pass. I really enjoyed the first one so was looking forward to this, especially as I’d seen folks on here had largely preferred the sequel. 

But jeez, the first 45 minutes nearly had me turning it off. Cut scenes galore, boring gameplay etc. However, as soon as you hit Union it’s great fun. 

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Been playing Evil Within 2 since it got added to Game Pass. I really enjoyed the first one so was looking forward to this, especially as I’d seen folks on here had largely preferred the sequel. 

But jeez, the first 45 minutes nearly had me turning it off. Cut scenes galore, boring gameplay etc. However, as soon as you hit Union it’s great fun. 

I really enjoyed it and I hated the first. 

I put it on the easiest setting and played it like a shooter. Had a ton of fun. 

Each to their own, but I think it’s a much better game on the higher difficulties which makes exploring Union a genuinely unsettling and tense affair, requiring you to make the most of the environment and be tactical about which enemies you engage with. I absolutely loved it though; probably the best traditional survival horror game from the last gen, right up there with Alien Isolation and the RE2make at the very least. 

It’s a shame the barmy shoddiness of the original has mostly robbed it of decent recognition. 

54 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Has Doom had any updates for next gen? Googling only brings up articles about Doom Eternal.

I don't think it has specifically, but it already ran at 60fps/4K using dynamic resolution on One X. On Series X the extra power means it hits its resolution target much more often and the game is noticeably sharper. Plus the improved loading times of course. It definitely doesn't feel like it needs an update!

Series S owners are probably stuck with the One S version though, which kind of sucks.

14 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Series S owners are probably stuck with the One S version though, which kind of sucks.

The One S version was dynamic 1080p/60 but mostly around 800p with dips to 40-50 in large fights.  The Series S presumably runs at 1080p/60 consistently.  It could probably handled 1440p+

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Series S has been confirmed as 

Performance Mode: 1080p at 120 FPS

Balanced Mode: 1440p at 60 FPS

Ray Tracing Mode: Not Available

Yes but they must have known streaming was coming too. Should have just offered that instead of the S. I can't imagine theyv made much money off of it and that most gamers just went for the X.

I feel it's gimping the next gen for everyone. Kind of like when you have one really nice player on your football team, who is actually shit. But you let them play to be polite. 

8 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Series S has been confirmed as 

Performance Mode: 1080p at 120 FPS

Balanced Mode: 1440p at 60 FPS

Ray Tracing Mode: Not Available

5 minutes ago, carlospie said:

They just shouldn't have bothered with the series s at all. Sony got it right with the disc drive or no disc drive option. 

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

Yeah we had this discussion on launch and it's this I fear we're going to see a lot of.

I look at those specs and don't really see the problem? 

It's cheaper than a Switch! You can have a Switch Lite AND A Series S for less than a Series X or Ps5.  And the only concession is lower resolution and no raytracing.

As for Sony’s drive/no drive option, that system surely only exists because the Series S does. 

10 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I look at those specs and don't really see the problem? 

It's cheaper than a Switch! You can have a Switch Lite AND A Series S for less than a Series X or Ps5.  And the only concession is lower resolution and no raytracing.

As for Sony’s drive/no drive option, that system surely only exists because the Series S does. 

I'd say it's more the case that Sony wanted - or maybe even intended for a while - for there only to be the "disc-less" model.

The form factor design language of the console really makes it look like the drive was just sort of shoved in there later in R&D. 

They're gagging for an all digital ecosystem, but the market isn't *quite ready yet. So the option has been made, perhaps quite late in the game. 

I also have a Series X and a Series S. The X is connected to my OLED and the S to my good Sony 1080p screen and it all works brilliantly. 

The Series S, feels a little more for a 1080p screen, where the resolution overhead totally doesn't matter. 

23 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Yes but they must have known streaming was coming too. Should have just offered that instead of the S. I can't imagine theyv made much money off of it and that most gamers just went for the X.

I feel it's gimping the next gen for everyone. Kind of like when you have one really nice player on your football team, who is actually shit. But you let them play to be polite. 

Series S performance is only likely to improve the further into the generation we go as developers take advantage of hardware. 

For me it will make for a nice bedroom console or perhaps for my daughter in her bedroom when she is old enough, I think it’s a great price and a great entry level next gen console, I don’t think it will impair development, at all. 

I mean this thing will run Flight Simulator, for £250, a game that currently only high end PC’s can handle. 

Agreed, as someone else pointed out it costs less than a Switch, it’s incredible value for money. 

My brother has three boys and he bought them one each, they’re more than happy and it’s a massive saving over what three Series X’s would have cost him. 

The series s isn't the system I'd suggest for anyone into games enough to post on here, but for the average person it's a brilliant choice and ridiculously good value for money. 

I don't see the point of the no disc ps5 so much the saving isn't enough to justify the compromise. 

42 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I feel it's gimping the next gen for everyone

What makes you think this?

Any last or cross gen stuff gets the One S version and anything going forward will just have the graphics settings reduced. No idea how that translates into ‘gimping the next generation for everyone’.

Besides, both my boys have got a Series S and they love them. So, for people with kids, or only a 1080 TV, or as a second console, or not much interest in cutting edge graphics, or if you don’t have much money, it’s absolutely perfect and a brilliant entry into this gen.

39 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Doom Eternal running at a locked 60 frames per second at 1440p on a box the size and cost of the Series S is frankly ridiculous, it's amazing how entitled we have all become.

...or after all these years trolls (not yourself) still exist on forums, to wind up other members to no end. 

36 minutes ago, deerokus said:

The series s isn't the system I'd suggest for anyone into games enough to post on here

Besides a few aspects of the graphics, frame rate, and the resolution, the games are the same on all of the consoles. If you play games for the game rather than the 'ooo shiny' then it doesn't matter what you're playing it on.

I suppose you think Nintendo games aren't any good because the Switch only has a Tegra GPU?

If you're only in to graphics rather than games then you'd be better off posting in the comments section of YouTube videos.

As far as I know the S keeps up the frame rate in the main, so the following is abour ChrisN's 'boy that escalated quickly' post as a whole rather than aimed at any specific machine.

Calling frame rate just 'shinies' is a really wrongheaded comment.