Xbox Game Pass

I enjoyed DQB2 to begin with and put plenty of hours into developing my farm on the second island, but really it felt like I was just doing a succession of fetch quests and I got fed up with it. The frequent attacks on your settlement were also insanely tedious.

I’m on the desert island on DQ Builders 2 and loving it. I quite like all the relentless tasks. 

The story on the second island has been particularly fun, revolving almost entirely around building a pub. 

The localisation is typically fantasy and it really is Incredibly charming. I just found once I'd got back to the main island after that one there was still a LOT of game to go and I was exhausted.

FFS! Can someone explain how permissions work on xboxes.

We have an Xbox downstairs that has my account on (which is linked to my gamepass) and two family accounts for both my boys. And I have an

xbox in my office with just my account on. 

All of a sudden I can’t play upstairs if they are playing a game pass game downstairs. It needs my account signed in for them to use games-pass - and if it is I can’t play any games (game pass or otherwise) upstairs… 

it’s doing my fucking head in - as it was working fine…,

Anyone know how to set the Xbox’s up so We can both play at the same time?

Seems to rather defeat the point of having two xboxes otherwise.

Downstairs Xbox needs to be set to ‘home’ console and no auto sign in for your account, this way the kids can play Gamepass without you being signed in on the Xbox.

Your console will then let you play games when you sign in online.

14 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

How does the EA stuff work? Will Mass Effect be on there day one or do we have to wait a few months?

You usually get a few hours trial. Not sure how that will work with a game that everyone's played before.

5 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Ah well. I guess it'll be on pretty sharpish, though.

Nah non-sports games take a year to go on EA play, roughly. Sports stuff at the end of the relevant season. 

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is pretty amazing, though you do basically have to start from scratch multiple times every time you shift location. I remember finishing it and being entertained throughout, but I was exhausted by the end as I was hammering it. 

Ha ha, building game, hammer.

21 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Nah non-sports games take a year to go on EA play, roughly. Sports stuff at the end of the relevant season. 

I guess you're right. I thought Fallen Order only came out last year, but it was the year before that.

36 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Star Wars Squadrons was far less than a year.  Might not even have been 6 months.

I suppose you could hope that it'll be the same turnaround as Command & Conquer Remastered, which went 6 months between launch and release on EA Play, but though they are both remasters of EA series, it's fair to say that C&C is a bit more niche, and to note that it was also cheaper at launch by some margin, so I'd be surprised if the turnaround is as swift.

(I am compelled to note that — despite ME:L evidently having been a far more expensive piece of work — everything demonstrated suggests that the ME remastering is actually less considered or dramatic as the C&C remaster, which really came across as a labour of love in its care and attention to detail compared with ME:L's 'dramatic lighting? What's that?' approach to things, but I guess that's neither here nor there)

FIFA 21 only came to non pro a week or so ago I think.

Also, Mass Effect won’t have the 10 hour trial for standard subs and won’t be available for pro subs a week early like they normally release. 

It’s why I subbed to the pro subscription for £89.99 for the year. It Takes Two, Mass Effect and Biomutant on the service kind of made sense. 

Never finished Outer Worlds so giving it another go. I’d forgotten how utterly brilliant it is. Definitely a highlight of last gen and puts the latest few Fallout games to shame.

Now a buttery 60fps, I’m going through on Hard rather than Supernova. Last time on Supernova my companions only lasted a minute before they were killed never to return, which seemed to make the companion mechanic redundant.

24 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Never finished Outer Worlds so giving it another go. I’d forgotten how utterly brilliant it is. Definitely a highlight of last gen and puts the latest few Fallout games to shame.

Now a buttery 60fps, I’m going through on Hard rather than Supernova. Last time on Supernova my companions only lasted a minute before they were killed never to return, which seemed to make the companion mechanic redundant.

I started this last week. The recent game pass quest hooked me in. 

I was never a big Fallout fan (I'm a monster!). Fallout always felt a bit to complicated, but on Outer Worlds I seem to happily rattle through my favourite genre of chatting and doing dogsbody chores in space. 

I was going to buy Mass Effect this week but I might save my money now. (Narrator: He bought it)

Mass Effect is a very different (and better) beast compared to Outer Worlds. You have actual skills and ways to mix combat up in ME, for example, whereas Outer Worlds never really gets deeper than 'point and shoot'. 

27 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Mass Effect is a very different (and better) beast compared to Outer Worlds. You have actual skills and ways to mix combat up in ME, for example, whereas Outer Worlds never really gets deeper than 'point and shoot'. 

Oh yeah, clearly Mass Effect is the superior game. I even preferred Andromeda, that I finished a couple of months ago. But Outer Worlds is tapping the bit of my brain that loves this shit. But is it enough to not spend full whack (or all my MS reward points, at least) to replay ME 1-3 for Friday? 

(also, is it likely to be on EA Play in 6-12 months?) 

56 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That's pretty much the opposite of my take, in that the Outer Worlds actually gives you meaningful options to choose from to mix up your encounters - stealth, scouting, avoidance and long-range combat are important choices (particularly at higher difficulties if you want to keep your party alive/don't want to retreat back to base to save), while Mass Effect is literally just a close-combat third-person shooter with levelling and branching dialogue.

I mean, I love both, and ME means more to me, but I wouldn't say one is outright "better" than the other, they're aiming to be quite different things!

Now, Alpha Protocol, there's an inferior set of Mass Effect gameplay mechanics with dramatically superior dialogue/narrative branching! If Obsidian could somehow marry that game's approach to dialogue with the Outer World's' gameplay loop I'd be happy as a salarian running a deeply unethical medical trial.

31 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Only just bought an X, not arrived yet.

Oh, you mean GamePass. I thought you were asking about Outer Worlds!

I can’t help, sorry. I didn’t even check if there was a trial in the box.

There definitely wasn't one in mine (and thanks to the frankly wonderful packaging I can say that with certainty, rather than wondering if there might have been one hidden in a cardboard/polystyrene nook under three stacks of warranty documents and pamphlets).

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Is there a trial for this in a new Series X?

Do you already have Xbox Live Gold, or are you coming into it 'fresh' as it were? I've got a code for two weeks of Game Pass Ultimate, but it's not valid for existing GP/Live users.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Is there a trial for this in a new Series X?

Not in the console, but there was in the extra controller I had - so if you have an extra controller coming you likely will have.

If not, same as @Squigs above - I have a 14-day code you'd be welcome to (as long as you've never had gamepass before as it's for new customers only)