Xbox Game Pass

Quite pleased with the opportunity to give Steep another go. I'm oddly in love with games that involve hurtling down a snowy mountain; despite never having touched the pursuit in reality*. I briefly played it about three years back and something just didn't click instantly for whatever reason (I expect I was still pining for another SSX and was disappointed I couldn't spin the snowboard around my neck like a propeller within the first five minutes) and I abandoned it within a single evening. Really should give it a fair whack. 

*I strongly suspect a large portion of my obsession is with crunchy snow noises. 

Right. Me and the kids have completed Rain on Your Parade in the space of a weekend. Need something similar now. Simple, bit of puzzling, not overly wordy (otherwise I have to read everything to my five year old). They bounced off Donut Country, but I might get them to try again. We liked Yoku's Island Express. What else might work?

12 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I think it was maybe during the time they decided they didn’t need any games and were going all-in on TV and Kinect?

July 2019, 2 years after they discontinued Kinect 2.0.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Right. Me and the kids have completed Rain on Your Parade in the space of a weekend. Need something similar now. Simple, bit of puzzling, not overly wordy (otherwise I have to read everything to my five year old). They bounced off Donut Country, but I might get them to try again. We liked Yoku's Island Express. What else might work?

Pikuniku?

2 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Is that the 2D side scroller with really simple graphics? I think we played that and got stuck... 

That's the one.

Phogs might be worth a look instead if you've not tried that.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Donut Country is the obvious answer here so surprised they bounced off it, mine loved it.

Phoogs, Human Fall Flat, totally reliable delivery service, new super Luckys tale, Carto, The Gardens Between, Forager, Heave Ho, Knights and Bikes might also work?

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Just Cause 4 is proper bobbins. Probably my most disappointing sequel from the last gen. 

Yeah, they turned "Find creative ways to blow all this stuff up" into "How about a bunch of tedious timed speed runs across a base you could be blowing up but instead have to avoid all enemies in because otherwise you won't have time to completed this mandatory timed speed run."

I've never played Psychonauts - I know the sequel is on its way so this might be a good time to try the original.  Is it any good?  I know nothing about it whatsoever.

It's well regarded but I imagine Psychonauts might be quite difficult to play nowadays. I remember struggling with it a bit playing it for the first time in the late 00s. Felt a bit clunky and dated even then.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is out today, give a try it’s brilliant, don’t be put off by the intro tutorial on the ship - it all opens up wonderfully after that. 

19 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I've never played Psychonauts - I know the sequel is on its way so this might be a good time to try the original.  Is it any good?  I know nothing about it whatsoever.

If you can look past the slightly dated gameplay, the art, character work and general design of the thing is still really brilliant.

The Milkman Conspiracy is probably one of my favourite levels in any game ever made still to this day.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is out today, give a try it’s brilliant, don’t be put off by the intro tutorial on the ship - it all opens up wonderfully after that. 

That's one that's been on my PlayStation wishlist for ages waiting for a decent sale that never came. Then suddenly here it is on Game Pass - and I removed it from my wishlist :)

My word. I loved dragon quest 11 and as soon as builders 2 started playing the same beautiful music I knew it was for me.

Gamepass fo lyf. Just need more hours in the day as im still loving RDR2 and hammering ff9 on triple speed before it goes!!

14 hours ago, Boothjan said:

As a platformer it was only ever 'okay' (with occasional meandering into "unbelievably frustrating" territory - particularly if you were a PC gamer stuck playing it with keyboard and mouse back in the day), but the writing and characterisation are still second to none, and the art style has aged surprisingly well. Worth a try, to be sure.

DQB2 has an awful tutorial I turned it off twice as i didn't have time to sit through the drivel.

Finally got through it and landed on the beach and ran out of time to play it this morning.

I'm sure the first one on the Vita didn't put you through all that, it'd be nice to learn things, but that was too long and too much hand holding.

A question though:-

Spoiler

Was there a way to get the annoying girl out of the prison cell before the boat sank?

I would assume the skeleton in charge had the key.

On 04/05/2021 at 18:49, carlospie said:

My word. I loved dragon quest 11 and as soon as builders 2 started playing the same beautiful music I knew it was for me.

Gamepass fo lyf. Just need more hours in the day as im still loving RDR2 and hammering ff9 on triple speed before it goes!!

Is FF9 doable like that in, what, a week? It was on my To Play list (with, admittedly, all of the other FF games). Been in a JRPG mood, but don't want to just rush through it in a blur or get halfway and stop. 

Is the Switch port notably inferior compared to what's on GP? Could also wait for a sale and get it handheld.

22 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

DQB2 has an awful tutorial I turned it off twice as i didn't have time to sit through the drivel.

Finally got through it and landed on the beach and ran out of time to play it this morning.

I'm sure the first one on the Vita didn't put you through all that, it'd be nice to learn things, but that was too long and too much hand holding.

A question though:-

Reveal hidden contents

Was there a way to get the annoying girl out of the prison cell before the boat sank?

I would assume the skeleton in charge had the key.

Yeah, and can you believe it’s what they used for the demo as well, way to put people off. With regards your spoiler I honestly can’t remember it’s been that long since I played it, but I don’t think so, I’m going to start a new game of Xbox myself. 

On the second island in DQ Builders 2 and I'm bored out of my mind. The game absolutely refuses to stop with the dragged out tutorials. I'll give it some more time but man

It takes a while before you’re given absolute freedom but feel free to ignore the story when you just want to build stuff, you go back to the first island eventually and you can build and terraform the entire thing - also it’s a massive game! 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

On the second island in DQ Builders 2 and I'm bored out of my mind. The game absolutely refuses to stop with the dragged out tutorials. I'll give it some more time but man

I think Dragon Quest is great, but I found this so slow going. It has it's moments, but not for me.

1 hour ago, Parksey said:

Is FF9 doable like that in, what, a week? It was on my To Play list (with, admittedly, all of the other FF games). Been in a JRPG mood, but don't want to just rush through it in a blur or get halfway and stop. 

Is the Switch port notably inferior compared to what's on GP? Could also wait for a sale and get it handheld.

Easy. I'm very near the end in 4 hours. I have used the double speed. Gp is the mobile phone version some of the models have been impressed but the pre rendered backgrounds look ass these days

51 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I think Dragon Quest is great, but I found this so slow going. It has it's moments, but not for me.

I'm really glad I didn't buy it on PS4 now. I'll give it another hour or two, see if it grabs me - but it does look like it's not for me either. Perfect game to cure insomnia with though.

54 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Easy. I'm very near the end in 4 hours. I have used the double speed. Gp is the mobile phone version some of the models have been impressed but the pre rendered backgrounds look ass these days

Jesus, only four hours. It's that short, even when sped up? I was thinking it was an 80 hour epic. 

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I'm enjoying it but I also spent hours on the first DQB on Switch so knew what to expect. I'm gonna play through it slow to pick up the achievements until I finish judgment then dive into this properly. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It does feel like it would be best suited on a handheld tbh.

Actually yes & no, yes it’s great to while away the time in handheld but it’s much easier to see what you’re doing on the big screen, there’s quite a few fiddly little things. 

I’ll give it a go on Xcloud - iPad should be an ideal size actually.