Xbox Game Pass

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

My immediate theory was there were background discussions of the "So how much do you want a PS5 version of Starfield" nature.

Microsoft have not traded exclusivity of a new Bethesda RPG for day one access to a baseball game that usually sells a couple of million copies tops.

I ignored Prey because I thought it was related to the now you're playing with portals game.

90 mins in now and this is interesting, I'm loving the plot. I'll love the whole thing a lot more when I've got an actual gun and aren't trying to kill a field of 6 mimics on easy with a wrench, the Gloo gun appears useless because they escape.

One where it's well worth reading the emails you find though because it's already opened up some plot you wouldn't otherwise know and if you were paying attention to the dialogue, I've already got a mission that makes absolutely no sense unless you know something I know.

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I ignored Prey because I thought it was related to the now you're playing with portals game.

90 mins in now and this is interesting, I'm loving the plot. I'll love the whole thing a lot more when I've got an actual gun and aren't trying to kill a field of 6 mimics on easy with a wrench, the Gloo gun appears useless because they escape.

One where it's well worth reading the emails you find though because it's already opened up some plot you wouldn't otherwise know and if you were paying attention to the dialogue, I've already got a mission that makes absolutely no sense unless you know something I know.

Have you tried incapacitating them with Gloo and then using the wrench to hit them? Guns will only get you so far. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, there us a lot of optional stuff which isn't signposted in advance.  Basically explore as much as possible as early as possible in the game.

The Google gun however is probably the single most useful tool throughout the game.  Incapacitated enemies require fewer bullets to kill and it has other uses too.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Microsoft have not traded exclusivity of a new Bethesda RPG for day one access to a baseball game that usually sells a couple of million copies tops.

Of course they have. It’s what MLB were really after.

I have zero interest in Baseball whatsoever, but think I am going to have to download it and give it a go on day 1.  Might be the only chance ever to play a Sony game on a MS console.  :hat:

Might be a bit fanboyish but what the hell, and you never know if it proves a big enough success it may just encourage more co-operation in the future which can only be a good thing.

Deliver us the Moon is leaving soon and I’ve had it on my Play Later list for a few months now as it looked interesting. I really love lonely atmospheric explore-em-ups so it seems right up my street.

Howlongtobeat has it as only being around 5-6 hours long too, so a heads up for anyone to whom it may be of interest.

edit: just seen it’s getting a Series X update later this year though. Dammit, that’s a bit of a conundrum.

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

Deliver us the Moon is leaving soon and I’ve had it on my Play Later list for a few months now as it looked interesting. I really love lonely atmospheric explore-em-ups so it seems right up my street.

Howlongtobeat has it as only being around 5-6 hours long too, so a heads up for anyone to whom it may be of interest.

edit: just seen it’s getting a Series X update later this year though. Dammit, that’s a bit of a conundrum.

I really enjoyed it last year, not a bad mystery to solve with a great twist at the end. Would definitely recommend playing before it leaves.

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

Have you tried incapacitating them with Gloo and then using the wrench to hit them? Guns will only get you so far. 

No use with large numbers of enemies but helpfulish with Phantoms.  There's basically shit all bullets in the game certainly.

I think 4 hours in I'm reaching the point where it's giving me what it wants me to use that isn't guns.

I've had to go down to story difficulty though and even then it's not exactly easy because it's also massively stingy with health.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

No use with large numbers of enemies but helpfulish with Phantoms.  There's basically shit all bullets in the game certainly.

I think 4 hours in I'm reaching the point where it's giving me what it wants me to use that isn't guns.

I've had to go down to story difficulty though and even then it's not exactly easy because it's also massively stingy with health.

I was more the opposite to begin with,

I didn’t mind taking on mimics, although not too many at once, but that gloo/wrench combo really worked for me as the standard mimics only take a few hits to kill.

Now phantoms on the other hand I just avoided as open combat of any kind just seemed futile, so I’d sneak past or use environmental hazards, explosive cylinders and so on. 

Don’t forget the turrets they’re pretty effective against mimics, not so much phantoms though unless you can fortify them. 

Are you enjoying the game overall? 

I've never successfully used an exploding cylinder for anything but some of them are impossible to sneak past.

"Are you enjoying the game overall? "

I genuinely don't know. I want to know how the story shakes out but it's giving me serious Control "Shoddy game design" vibes.  The acquisition of the Psychocore thing (or whatever it's called" is just awful.  You have to know you have to pick it up and entirely blind find something that would be considered an obscure secret room in another game.  And then it takes up what seems like half your early game inventory.

I'm hoping the potential application of more options based on where you've just worked out I am in the story will help matters.

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I've never successfully used an exploding cylinder for anything but some of them are impossible to sneak past.

"Are you enjoying the game overall? "

I genuinely don't know. I want to know how the story shakes out but it's giving me serious Control "Shoddy game design" vibes.  The acquisition of the Psychocore thing (or whatever it's called" is just awful.  You have to know you have to pick it up and entirely blind find something that would be considered an obscure secret room in another game.  And then it takes up what seems like half your early game inventory.

I'm hoping the potential application of more options based on where you've just worked out I am in the story will help matters.

I’m not sure which item you mean, is it in Psychotronics? 

I found the story on the whole pretty serviceable but imo it never really impresses more than the intro section which I thought was fantastic - the ending(s) do deliver though and reflect the choices you make throughout the whole game. 

It’s the world building and design, and how all the games systems mesh that elevates it above the standard sci-fi story imo. Once things open up more it’s an incredible set of options and freedom you’re given. 

That's the thing though. It's incredibly intricate and very deliberately designed with a lot of emergent gameplay freedom (hence me bringing up original Deus Ex alongside the Shock games whenever I talk about Prey) - this means that some players are just as likely to bounce off the game as get completely immersed. Arkane usually make the games they want to make, aimed at a certain audience. That means it's not for everyone. But that's not a bad thing, just like with movies it would be a very bland landscape indeed if every game was for everyone. And Arkane games are the equivalent of art house movies in that regard. They either resonate or they don't at all.

Whether you like them or not it's a good thing developers like Arkane exist. The last thing we should want to happen to this hobby of ours is the Ubification of the entire industry.

I really hope Deathloop does extremely well. Arkane deserve it. My somewhat cynical hope is that the idea of playing a Microsoft game exclusive to PlayStation will whip the more fanatical fanboys into a frenzy - leading to more exposure for the game and more players.

Hopefully the remarkable lack of next gen games will also help. 

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

After reading the Edge article it'll be interesting to see how Deathloop is received.

Are they positive about it? Looking forward to that one myself - but yeah @Mr. Gerbikis right they make games in a very particular way that goes against the grain of what other AAA developers do, which is why I think they’re so special. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Are they positive about it? Looking forward to that one myself - but yeah @Mr. Gerbikis right they make games in a very particular way that goes against the grain of what other AAA developers do, which is why I think they’re so special. 

Aye it reads well and sounds very interesting but it doesn't sound like your traditional Arkane game so it runs the risk of not appealing to Arkane fans and not appealing to the mainstream.

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Aye it reads well and sounds very interesting but it doesn't sound like your traditional Arkane game so it runs the risk of not appealing to Arkane fans and not appealing to the mainstream.

Sounds interesting! 

18 hours ago, Waggo said:

I have zero interest in Baseball whatsoever, but think I am going to have to download it and give it a go on day 1.  Might be the only chance ever to play a Sony game on a MS console.  :hat:

It's like Sonic Advance or 9/11. You've just got to be there to witness history.

How long is PS5 exclusivity for?

One potential danger I see for the game is those PS5 owners who either own or are thinking about buying an Xbox in the coming months, may not be too keen handing over £60+ for a game they will possibly be able to play on GP in 6 months time.

1 minute ago, Waggo said:

One potential danger I see for the game is those PS5 owners who either own or are thinking about buying an Xbox in the coming months, may not be too keen handing over £60+ for a game they will possibly be able to play on GP in 6 months time.

I don’t think anyone knows but these things tend to be a year don’t they, which mean us Xbox lot could have a bit of a wait. 

Ironic isn’t it that MS buy Bethesda and their first release since the acquisition is exclusive on PlayStation:wacko:

5 minutes ago, Waggo said:

One year.

42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It comes over as interesting, but also very niche -  essentially a fast paced shooting action style + intricate time / place puzzle + rogue-like +/- a human adversary thrown into the mix.  Hitman on steroids?

It sounds like a lot of things mashed up to be something very interesting and potentially great but yeah, very niche. The Edge article makes it sound like they've tried to go for something more mainstream appealing but when you try and describe it it sounds like a massive smelting pot of ideas.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's the thing though. It's incredibly intricate and very deliberately designed with a lot of emergent gameplay freedom (hence me bringing up original Deus Ex alongside the Shock games whenever I talk about Prey) - this means that some players are just as likely to bounce off the game as get completely immersed. Arkane usually make the games they want to make, aimed at a certain audience. That means it's not for everyone. But that's not a bad thing, just like with movies it would be a very bland landscape indeed if every game was for everyone. And Arkane games are the equivalent of art house movies in that regard. They either resonate or they don't at all.

Whether you like them or not it's a good thing developers like Arkane exist. The last thing we should want to happen to this hobby of ours is the Ubification of the entire industry.

I totally agree.

Although weirdly it's paired that with giving one side mission so far which has been entirely a bait and switch that keeps moving the objective to things gated behind story.  So for a game that people are saying rewards exploring it's not really presenting that to the player because there's largely been 2 things you have to do at any given point and they've been in the same place.

Really the problem I have is that so far it's been so stingy with resources I've not wanted to try and upgrade turrets etc in case I regret using stuff and end up trapped. So I've actively been hoarding for objectives rather than experimenting.  This too of course might ease later.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I’m not sure which item you mean, is it in Psychotronics? 

Spoiler

I mean the scope you use to house upgrades, which is required to properly enter.  It's hidden in the toilets you think you can't access underneath a floor and 2 rooms over in a dangerous looking underground section concealed in someone's corpse.

There's no indication it's even in that area so you could well end up trying places like your office and the medical bay first assuming you missed it early on.

I'm not ashamed to say I looked it up. Maybe I missed some obvious clue.

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I totally agree.

Although weirdly it's paired that with giving one side mission so far which has been entirely a bait and switch that keeps moving the objective to things gated behind story.  So for a game that people are saying rewards exploring it's not really presenting that to the player because there's largely been 2 things you have to do at any given point and they've been in the same place.

Really the problem I have is that so far it's been so stingy with resources I've not wanted to try and upgrade turrets etc in case I regret using stuff and end up trapped. So I've actively been hoarding for objectives rather than experimenting.  This too of course might ease later.

I don’t want to try and tell you how to play it because that goes against their (Arkane) entire ethos and philosophy, but, why not try turning the objective markers off and just try exploring? I did this when I found myself relying on the hud too much. Just do whatever you feel like because there are no punishments really, you won’t be short of items and resources.