rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

15 minutes ago, drewthmsn said:

I was going to do that, give them 3 years worth etc. Then their mum did it for the benefit of 1 month last week. 

Oh noes! :(

What to play on Game Pass Ultimate - Leaving soon edition

Seven games are 'leaving soon' (Usually at the end of the month so 31st May 2020):

Opus Magnum (PC)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (XBOX, PC))
Hydro Thunder Hurricane (XBOX, PC)
KOF98UM (XBOX)
#IDARB (XBOX)
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (PC)
Old Man's Journey (XBOX, PC)

A strange bunch this time around. Brothers and stealth inc 2 are both undoubtedly games worth playing but I'm not going to focus on those because they are relatively old and quite well known. Nothing really sticks out as a must play apart from:

Opus Magnum

If you have time to add one game to your playlist in the next couple of weeks the choice this time around is undoubtedly Opus Magnum. Highly scored by critics (92) and users (89) alike, developed by Zachtronics, who are probably most well known for their first release, Spacechem. However, Opus Magnum is their highest rated game by some margin but doesn't seem to have got much attention since its release in 2017.

A couple of things about Opus Magnum... Like other Zachtronic games, this may not be for you and if it isn't it probably won't take you long to decided this. The good news is that it is a small download (400MB).

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/302768-opus-magnum/&tab=comments#comment-11644760

I've just started playing and it is probably the most accessible of the Zachtronics games.

• Upvote 2

Sadly, without an X enhancement I'm probably going to pass on replaying Alan Wake. I'm not playing a 540p game on a 4k TV in 2020. It looked a bit blurry at the time of its release ten years ago, I think I'd find it intolerable these days.

18 minutes ago, Fargo said:

When’s Alan Wake being put up on game pass ?

21st May.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Majora said:

Sadly, without an X enhancement I'm probably going to pass on replaying Alan Wake. I'm not playing a 540p game on a 4k TV in 2020. It looked a bit blurry at the time of its release ten years ago, I think I'd find it intolerable these days.

It'll still look better.

39 minutes ago, Majora said:

The PC version is excellent from what I remember and runs on practically anything nowadays.

Why is Xbox Game Pass on PC so utterly useless at downloading anything? Now I know this probably won't affect everyone, it's in beta and, well... first world problems and all that. I've got a 1GB connection and I struggle to download at any decent speed. If I enable Delivery Optimisation (Windows 10) I get 1-2mb/sec. If I disable then I'll get 6-7mb/sec (as in direct from Microsoft). Now, normally this wouldn't be an issue but add the 0x87e00013 issue into the mix with Gears 5 and the only fix seemingly uninstalling / reinstalling the bloody thing, it's driving me up the wall and really tempting me to cancel my subscription. 

You can see how many people are having these issues if you type in "xbox pass pc slow downloads" into any search engine. Lots more people are also having the "gears 5 0x87e00013" with the only solution being "uninstall / reinstall". 

...and yet, go onto Origin (I have Origin Basic Pass) and download a game on there and it gives me 115-120mb/sec where I can download a game in 5 minutes. No issues with updates and it just works. How can a company like Microsoft screw up their app so badly?! The only thing I can hope is that it's something to do with my specific PC and when I get a new gaming PC (in the next 6 or so months) it will fix itself. Other than that, it's a great service but they should have really bug tested it first and fixed the issues before releasing such a shoddy app.

[/rant]

I've being using GP on the PC for past couple of months or so. Download speeds are slow but I assumed this was something to do with MS throttling connection speeds under the current CV situation. I just select a whole bunch of games and leave the PC on overnight to download them all. You can even start them downloading from the app on your phone. As mentioned it is in Beta and it's really cheap? In the end once you have things downloaded seems to work well enough.

@tronied

No, PC download times are just crap. You connection is 100 times better than mine (literally). It took me about 35 hours to download gears at 0.5-1mb/s, so count yourself lucky! :blah:

Question - I've had Xbox Live for years and years but never took the plunge on Game Pass. It seems really good value so:

A) is it?

B) if I got Ultimate, would my Xbox Live sub just move over, keeping the progress I've made with any Games With Gold saves?

C) is it about £10 a month?

PC downloads for me are decent, 70, 80 on a 100MB line. That's direct ethernet from the router mind. 

20 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Question - I've had Xbox Live for years and years but never took the plunge on Game Pass. It seems really good value so:

A) is it?

B) if I got Ultimate, would my Xbox Live sub just move over, keeping the progress I've made with any Games With Gold saves?

C) is it about £10 a month?

Whoa slow down / don’t jump!!

What you really need to know (and I REALLY mean really!) is that there’s a £1 trial of ultimate on your dashboard. Best of all when you take it, it then converts any Gold membership (up to the date at which it expires) into....Ultimate at no extra cost to you!! So, max your Gold membership out first (you can stack up to 36 months of it) and then take the trial and bingo bongo, up to 3 years of ultimate for £1!! Gaming deal of the decade?? I’d say so :).  

• Upvote 4

Yeah to be fair, I completely forgot about the £1 deals. At some point, my cheap sub ran out and I’ve been paying 10 quid a month and I’m not sorry.

If I had to cancel stuff to save money due to the current situation, Game Pass would probably be the last one to get rid of.

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

Whoa slow down / don’t jump!!

What you really need to know (and I REALLY mean really!) is that there’s a £1 trial of ultimate on your dashboard. Best of all when you take it, it then converts any Gold membership (up to the date at which it expires) into....Ultimate at no extra cost to you!! So, max your Gold membership out first (you can stack up to 36 months of it) and then take the trial and bingo bongo, up to 3 years of ultimate for £1!! Gaming deal of the decade?? I’d say so :).  

Man, I really hope @Boothjan read this before he excitedly jumped the gun. Note that this is a ONE TIME DEAL. If you're already subscribed to Ultimate or you've been subscribed in the past, you can't use this deal. So STOCK UP ON LIVE GOLD FIRST, because once you convert, that's it.*

Also note that Ultimate includes Gold, so that's all the sub you need. And there's no such thing as different games or saves for different subscription tiers, nothing changes in that regard.

It's a steal, you'll have all of the games for three years!!! It will save you so much money. Do it!

*Although you can of course keep topping up with cheap Ultimate codes, they go on sale regularly - 6 months at 50% off and the like. You'll never ever need to pay full price for the subscription if you keep topping up during sales. (Three years max of course)

• Upvote 1

I checked here just before I signed up - got to love rllmuk!!! 

Thanks all - much appreciated. What a bargain!

• Upvote 7

So, I've found if you don't have an active game pass subscription you can't complete the quests for reward points. But I wouldn't earn enough in a month to justify having my own sub for 10.99. It's mildly annoying.

So even at full cost it's pretty much 3 full price games per year, and you get your Live sub included with that. 

Why haven't I taken the plunge before now? 

Any recommendations aside from the well known titles?

My kids and I have been playing a fair bit of World War Z.  Basically Left 4 Dead but with a shit load more zombies.  Excellent co-op game I thought.   Probably gets samey after a week.

Play Outer Wilds.  I loved it.   Puzzle solving through a solar system.  Each planet has a story and puzzles to unravel.

I'm also now playing through The Outer Wolds.  Was getting a bit tired of it and then I found some weapons at level 400 which made things easir. Then I found a level 1000 light machine gun.  Feels good to mow down the larger enemies I sneaked around previously.  Story is really good.

I was happy to buy Gold until 2022 for the £1 conversion, but there's no way I'd pay £11pm for it. It's hard to shake the feeling that Microsoft are gonna follow Sony's journey from PS+ to PS- next gen, and with that in mind I paid £130 for a Digital S purely for this offer.

8 minutes ago, Escaped said:

I was happy to buy Gold until 2022 for the £1 conversion, but there's no way I'd pay £11pm for it. It's hard to shake the feeling that Microsoft are gonna follow Sony's journey from PS+ to PS- next gen, and with that in mind I paid £130 for a Digital S purely for this offer.

So far it’s pretty easy to pick up 3 month + 3 month free passes every so often, even without arbitrage from buying cheap gold subs from other countries. How it evolves will be the interesting question.

Yeah, that is the question. It can rise in price and still be good value for most people here, but they've advertised £10.99 £1! for so long they've cornered themselves for now.

They've got me, sure, but I plan to buy a PS5 and not an SX at the minute.

7 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Try stuff that you wouldn't before. I discovered some real gems that way.

7 hours ago, Boothjan said:

So even at full cost it's pretty much 3 full price games per year, and you get your Live sub included with that. 

Why haven't I taken the plunge before now? 

Not a bad list to start with, although leave Kingdom Hearts 3.

Lately I've completed Ace Combat 7 (which is absolutely ace, definitely play that), completed The Gardens Between (also well worth a play - indie puzzler) and I'm now playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which I'm really enjoying.

• Upvote 2

I’ve just had a quick go on Cities Skylines. It seems a little too heavy on the micromanaging in style for my tastes. Is there anything similar but a bit more lightweight?

54 minutes ago, AfromB said:

I’ve just had a quick go on Cities Skylines. It seems a little too heavy on the micromanaging in style for my tastes. Is there anything similar but a bit more lightweight?

Minecraft*. Build your own city. ;)

*Not sure if it's on Game Pass.

On 19/05/2020 at 23:25, Escaped said:

Yeah but don't forget to use Microsoft Rewards and earn points for browsing and any digital purchases you do make. They nearly always have Ultimate 3 month subs as one of the redemption rewards. It all helps!

• Upvote 1