PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

I just reached those WK too! Bunch of Blanka bastards. You can dreamnail them pre-fight to refill soul. A question about reaching them, though...

Spoiler

I had to jump and air down-slash off an urn to gain enough height to walljump up from a ground floor screen to reach them. Is that the intended method? Seemed a bit fiddly since I had to leave the room and return to get that urn to respawn if I failed.

I don't have a high/double jump yet, if there is one?

45 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Also, have a good look around just before you go in to fight the WK. There's a way to make the fight slightly less imbalanced in their favour. 

Really?! What is it? I certainly didn't find it...

Am I going the right way to reach the end? I'm hoping I'm fairly late on..

I've got

double jump, wall jump, crystal dash, downward dash, acid resistance, shadow dash, dream nail, 2nd nail upgrade, kings pass, tram pass,

and absolutely no clue what I should be fighting next or where I should be going. I remember seeing some boss that spat globs out of his head, but not where I saw him and I think I skipped killing the DKs.

Are they stuff I need to go back and kill? I've no idea. I've seen a lot of places, but I honestly couldn't tell you anything about what's going on. Not a clue.

I'm in

The Hive

at the moment. Does that need clearing or have I detoured... I'm assuming this is something like the right area as I only recently got the ability to get here. Feels a bit like this might be a mini-area I can ignore though?

6 hours ago, Alask said:

Am I going the right way to reach the end? I'm hoping I'm fairly late on..

I've got

Hide contents

double jump, wall jump, crystal dash, downward dash, acid resistance, shadow dash, dream nail, 2nd nail upgrade, kings pass, tram pass,

and absolutely no clue what I should be fighting next or where I should be going. I remember seeing some boss that spat globs out of his head, but not where I saw him and I think I skipped killing the DKs.

Are they stuff I need to go back and kill? I've no idea. I've seen a lot of places, but I honestly couldn't tell you anything about what's going on. Not a clue.

I'm in

Reveal hidden contents

The Hive

at the moment. Does that need clearing or have I detoured... I'm assuming this is something like the right area as I only recently got the ability to get here. Feels a bit like this might be a mini-area I can ignore though?

Have you dealt with the three Watchers yet? The three white masks on the map? You've got pretty much all the upgrades, so after dealing with the Watchers you can either go on and complete the game or spend more time exploring in order to push up your completion percentage by seeing what else the game has to offer.

And where you are is an optional area, but it's still awesome.

The boss you're referring to I believe is back in the Crossroads, but is optional. Who are the "DKs"?

They’re not dream knights are they. I blame it being late.. WKs. 

Didnt realise I needed to kill the watchers. I thought they sounded like good guys. I shall do that then.

22 minutes ago, Alask said:

They’re not dream knights are they. I blame it being late.. WKs. 

Didnt realise I needed to kill the watchers. I thought they sounded like good guys. I shall do that then.

The WKs aren't optional, so go for them next, once you've cleared the area you're in now. They're tough, though (see posts above for tips).

And the Watchers aren't necessarily bad guys, but you need to put them to the nail anyway for the good of the realm.

I’m starting to wonder if I’m actually the good guy in this. I killed someone in the deepnest and he seemed kinda sad. I’m not sure why I killed him, he was sort of there and seemed like he was meant to be killed. I don’t think I got anything from him though.

Is there a good summary anywhere of what’s going on in the game. It reminds me very much of Bloodborne, in that the games great and has amazing atmosphere but until I read the paleblood hunt for that I really couldn’t work out what the story was.

22 minutes ago, Alask said:

I’m starting to wonder if I’m actually the good guy in this. I killed someone in the deepnest and he seemed kinda sad. I’m not sure why I killed him, he was sort of there and seemed like he was meant to be killed. I don’t think I got anything from him though.

Is there a good summary anywhere of what’s going on in the game. It reminds me very much of Bloodborne, in that the games great and has amazing atmosphere but until I read the paleblood hunt for that I really couldn’t work out what the story was.

I feel the same way about the story. Last night I watched a 40 minute video on YouTube explaining it all, and while there was quite a lot of stuff mentioned that I'd sort of picked up on during my playtime, other bits just completely passed me by.

I think the way in which the story is told (not the story itself, which is compelling, although a bit derivative) is the weakest part of the game. I'm sure it's all very satisfying for people with the time and inclination to compare theories and tidbits that they've picked up over hours and hours of play, but I'd argue that for the majority of players the story is very difficult to keep up with. As a result, you end up just losing interest as you're not able to make much of a connection between one piece of lore or dialogue and the next. It means that late-game boss fights and 'reveals' aren't especially revelatory or dramatic at all because you don't know what they mean. I felt the same way about Bloodborne too: pretty much impenetrable without a third-party explanation. I'm all up for enigma and ambiguity, but I don't think a narrative where the player has to resort to going online to discover what the hell's going on is a narrative that is especially well-told.

The original Dark Souls got the balance just about right, as even though the story was still pretty arcane, there was just enough of a trickle of exposition to keep you in the loop. With Hollow Knight, all I picked up on really was that Hollownest was a once-prosperous kingdom that had been overcome with some kind of malign infection that drove everyone mad. I'd no idea who I was or what my motivations were, and a lot of stuff you read about in the late-game was completely lost on me.

This guy explains the hidden story in Hollow Knight pretty well, for my money. The other competing channel, Superforge, is fully rubbish at it. Spoilers, obviously.

And done! 104% completion. Took me just under 50 hours. Utterly fantastic, from start to finish. Quite possibly the best game of its type I've ever played :)

Spoiler

After Nightmare Grimm, The Radiance wasn't too bad in the end - I just had to be patient and choose my moments to attack carefully. I was OP'd to the point where I was just able to completely spam my way through the initial Hollow Knight fight each time and use him as a soul sponge. I was then able to Abyss Shriek The Radiance into oblivion.

Superb. PS4 owners who've yet to play this are in for a treat. And to think it only cost me £6! I hope it gets a bit more exposure.

• Upvote 2

Oh my god. I done did it. Pre-patch and everything!

vLMdvZn.png

A full 50 hours after getting 107% in the main game, and it's finally done.

Spoilered thoughts about the final boss of Godmaster:

Absolute Radiance is an Absolute Dickhead. Regular Radiance was alright. Managed her without nearly as much trouble as NKG used to cause me. This version though, is just in another league. I'd basically been practicing the fight in the HoG for about a week of intermittent play before I made my attempts on a full PoH run today. As for the fight itself:

The initial phase isn't too bad once you get used to the speed increase, but double damage really makes the process of learning much slower than it could be. But once it clicked for me, I could usually make it through, barring getting blindsided by her triple sunbeam or sudden wall of swords attacks.The second phase of the fight on the floating platforms was quite hard to figure out as well. Not only are you still having to dodge everything at blistering speed, but you also need to cover a lot of distance to do damage as she teleports around, and before I knew how to keep safe distance and when to be aggressive, there were so many instances of overlapping attacks cornering me into losing health. It didn't help that after an early fluke success in Attuned difficulty, I was basically trying to learn this phase on Ascended difficulty, where each mistake means four masks, and even getting to that phase requires a few minutes of very precise, very tense gameplay. Anyway, the main difficulty of this phase was not letting getting hit tumble into getting hit multiple times trying to recover or counter attack. Also, once I figured out there were actually reasonably good points to heal, my success rate sky rocketed.

After this, you have the platforming segment, which is utterly cruel. It's not too difficult once you get the hang of it, but once again, getting the hang of it means going through the majority of this fight again! And yeah, yet again, it's very easy for compound damage to build up when you get knocked out of rhythm.

The new, final segment isn't actually too bad. The tracking balls of light aren't as aggressive as the ones from the previous phases, but having gone through so much it's very easy to let your nerves get the best of you. Or sometimes you can't quite find the rhythm or you don't notice you've been hit one too many times and then poof! All that work goes down the drain. There does seem to be one glitchy or broken aspect to this part of the fight though. Sometimes the balls of light telegraph that they're about to appear in one area and then teleport closer to you just as they spawn into existence, which is kind of cruel.

So, I think it's almost time to hang up my hollow hat, but I think in the meantime I'll probably still pick at doing all the fights in the HoG on ascended and radiant difficulties. I don't know if I'll ever try the PoH with any bindings. A regular run takes me about an hour. I can't imagine how much longer it'll take without any charms or a weaker nail! Or that I'll ever manage any of them - I just can't see it happening.

Anyway, I'm fully elated. I never thought I'd stand a chance of seeing the end after unlocking the fifth Pantheon. Who knew that all I needed to do was persevere for like 40 hours after unlocking it!

• Upvote 3