mdn2

Avengers: Infinity War - April 2018

3 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

More ending spoilers - stay out

Hide contents

I don't think they expect anyone to really believe that all those characters have died, just that the sequel is about bringing them back which is contrasted with the 4characters that did die beforehand.

It is a clever way of reducing the characters for the sequel to just the core Avengers (and Rocket!!) in their likely final outing. Although I'm assuming everyone come back halfway through as I want some Spidey/Hulk and Spidey/Rocket and Groot team up.

I wonder what the plot of 4 will actually be as all of Thanos' crew are dead and he has retired so there has to be more threat than just the Avengers tracking him down. Perhaps another villian or villian(s) that threaten Earth and Thanos' belief that he has 'saved' the universe.

If the Captain Marvel film is going to heavily feature the Skrulls and possibly the Kree (I know the Skrulls for certain) I wonder if one or both of those races are going to use the situation to launch an attack on Earth (even though they'd have lost half their population too). I guess that's why the title is a secret as it may give the plot away

I didn't get it in the movie (comic fans probably would have though), but

Spoiler

I was wondering what the logo on Fury's pager was. Turns out it's

Spoiler

Captain Marvel.

13 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Reveal hidden contents

If the Captain Marvel film is going to heavily feature the Skrulls and possibly the Kree (I know the Skrulls for certain) I wonder if one or both of those races are going to use the situation to launch an attack on Earth (even though they'd have lost half their population too). I guess that's why the title is a secret as it may give the plot away

It will be impossible, but I'm going to try and do everything I can to avoid finding anything out about the 4th film until I watch it.

Disney should just assume eveyone will watch it and just hype it with footage from this one and finish with see what happens next in Avengers 4.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I didn't notice until it was referenced in the end credits but

Hide contents

Tobias Fünke is in The Collectors place.

Oh oh I saw that thing in the credits and didn't know what it was referencing!

Anyway I just saw this twice back to back!

For someone who has been getting serious Marvel fatigue for the last few films I thought this was great

Spoiler

Did the really ropey CGI bother anyone else?  Most of the time a live actor was interacting with CGI it looked pretty bad, Banner in the hulkbuster suit was terrible.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, this was ace. I had "first date with a lovely girl" butterflies before seeing it, and wasn't disappointed in the slightest. 

Some favourite bits:

Spoiler

The Guardians being themselves yet somehow managing to fit the cadence of the rest of the film. 

The Thanos CG crew, who were genuinely intimidating/sarcastic. 

The scale of it all! 

Only negatives: serious power creep, particularly on Stark and Thor. They may have to be nerfed. 

The fairly sudden love affair with Vision / Witch. Felt like it relied on us knowing their relationship from the comics. 

But that's all. The rest was pretty much magnificent. 

27 minutes ago, Treble said:

Yeah, this was ace. I had "first date with a lovely girl" butterflies before seeing it, and wasn't disappointed in the slightest. 

Some favourite bits:

Hide contents

The Guardians being themselves yet somehow managing to fit the cadence of the rest of the film. 

The Thanos CG crew, who were genuinely intimidating/sarcastic. 

The scale of it all! 

Only negatives: serious power creep, particularly on Stark and Thor. They may have to be nerfed. 

The fairly sudden love affair with Vision / Witch. Felt like it relied on us knowing their relationship from the comics. 

But that's all. The rest was pretty much magnificent. 

Spoiler

The chemistry between vision and scarlet witch was played up in civil war but I didn't think they were dating at the time (it is within the two years since hulk left after age of ultron and they said they'd been sneaking around for 2 years though) 

I don't know where to start...

Spoiler

That was like Avengers meets Red Wedding. I blame Peter Dinklage.

• Upvote 5

And 

Spoiler

I think there's more of vision to be seen. Why have the whole scene with T'Challa's sister trying to extract the mindstone only for it to get taken from Vision anyway? I reckon she did something somehow

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I didn't notice until it was referenced in the end credits but

Hide contents

Tobias Fünke (in blue) is in The Collectors place.

Spoiler

Thank you! I noticed the Arrested Development bit in the credits but had no idea what the reference was.

Just got back from seeing it - Loved it.

Grin on my face from start to finish, apart from some obvious non-grin appropriate bits.

I can't wait for part 2

Absolutely brilliant.

Spoiler

Thor and Cap didn't die! So relieved, i was expecting at least one of them to. Cap was barely in it. 

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

These lines...

Gamora: I always hated that chair.

Thanos: So I've been told.

That has to be an acknowledgment of the fan reaction to Thanos' previous appearances, where he just sits on a throne and issues threats, right?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Pob said:

I've nearly finished my MCU revision in preparation for IW. I remember watching the phase 1 films in the lead-up to The Avengers, and even though some of the films are middling in themselves, the interconnectedness building up to a big event was really cool. I've been enjoying reminding myself of the powers of the different stones throughout the films, right back to the first Avengers. Doctor Strange was a bum note, though. What could've been a Nolan-esque mind-bender ends up as a bland sub-Matrix punch-up with lots of CGI. Waste. A second viewing of Thor Ragnarok washed the bad taste away though.

A fourth viewing of Civil War tonight, then into Infinity War tomorrow!

Isn’t it mad how different people see these films? Dr. Strange is one of my favourites. Better than anything Nolan has done for me.

Anyway, I don’t know if you’ve seen this yet, but carry on if you have...

You must agree he was pretty great in this. His exchanges with Tony were good, he had some good battles and he’s definitely the one with the plan for part 2.

On 11/30/2017 at 15:49, mansizerooster said:
Spoiler

I would love it if the prelude to the film proper was a flashback to Red Skull getting transported into space at the end of First Avenger. We then see that he's been transported to Thanos's Sanctuary space rock, where he informs Thanos of Earth, and that's when Thanos first learns of Earth and the Space gem's location there.

FUCKING CALLED IT

• Upvote 8

This was really good, better than I expected in fact. 

The woman sat next to me had the most shit-stinky breath I have ever encountered. I have enjoyed the smell of a broken sewer more than this. And she kept yawning, checking her phone and leaning into my space. 

And still it survived such distractions. 

One of Thanos' henchmen really reminded me of the obscure video game character Styx. Weird. 

• Upvote 2

Well that was truly epic. Didn't disappoint at all.

Despite loving Fargo season 3, and The Leftovers, I managed to watch this without realising that the excellent Carrie Coon was one of Thanos's cronies. 

47 minutes ago, deerokus said:

One of Thanos' henchmen really reminded me of the obscure video game character Styx. Weird. 

Thank you! I was trying to work out who he reminded me of.

Loved it. Didn't dissapoint and was everything I wanted it to be. Thanos is a force of nature and truely brilliant. I have more to say but its late and Im up early. But I give a good old 5 infinity stones outta 5.

Loved it, the jokes were very well placed and it never strayed into the comedy of Ragnarok.

Starlord and Thor shared an excellent scene that confirmed they're both my favourites.

57 minutes ago, GMass said:
  Reveal hidden contents

All you got right was the red skull being in it which came as no great surprise. 

Ok.. I kinda called it :lol::lol::lol:

I wouldn't say that was no great surprise, I'd say it was a pretty left-field choice to make, so I'm taking at least partial credit 8-)8-)

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I was surprised by that! Didn't expect it at all.

Edit:Goddamn new page. 

Me too, as soon as he started to talk I was trying to figure out who's voice it was but didn't realise until the reveal! 

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

Bit dubious that they made an Actual Nazi the one responsible for guiding people to the universe's manifestation of the concept of Soul!

The beginning of this film kind of takes the shine off the laugh a minute romp that was Thor Ragnarok, and it's "Asgard isn't a place, it's a people" mantra. The credits stinger of that film made it clear that they weren't going to get off lightly, but I had thought that we'd at least see an escape pod for Korg, Valkyrie and some others! :(

One thing I saw pointed out is that everyone who was sitting in that schawarma café at the end of Avengers is still alive at the end.

Theories I've heard/thought of for reversing the deaths:

* They're not dead, they're trapped within the Soul Stone.

* Thanos created a duplicate universe where 50% of people were transported. A different solution to his aim of balancing the universe?

* In the absence of the Time Stone, Ant-Man can shrink down to the quantum realm where time has no meaning and use that to time travel. Pym, Shuri, Banner and Stark putting their heads together should be enough to solve that one!

7 minutes ago, GMass said:

Hide contents

Not to me anyway - I've been waiting for this moment since the finale of first avenger. I always though he would turn up in the finale. 

I'm the same - but I just didn't realistically think that Marvel would use what would be the equivalent of a deep cut in MCU terms. It was a real call-back for long-term fans.

Saw this yesterday and it was awesome. I grew up as a Marvel nerd and I love the MCU movies, so for me this was a perfect climactic battle finale royale where everything finally comes together. And they managed to get Thanos right! Probably the best villain in the MCU so far, he's awesome. The entire movie is awesome, really really enjoyed it from start to finish. Exhilarating. Can't wait for the sequel :D

• Upvote 2