deerokus

Halloween reboot. From the director of Pineapple Express.

31 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I think he was talking about the 2005 remake of The Fog, which is a terrible crime.

Unless RLLMUK has found one of the few people who actively enjoy it over the original.

phew

my bad misread then

EDIT - come to think of it I was completely unaware of the remake of the Fog - sounds like I missed nothing

Oh man, the whole movie is in that trailer isn't it? Also has that modern cliche of some piano notes hinting at the original theme.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

This was test screened a while ago and reactions seemed lukewarm. Reshoots happening at the moment.

Thats dissapointing cause I heard an interview with Danny McBride and he seemed really passionate about making this feel like the original cause he wasn't enjoying modern horrors.

Hmm, so that's confirmed then. Michael isn't Laurie's brother in this version. 

Just looks like another cookie cutter retread of all the others. I know I'll be watching anyway. 

Michael would be in his sixties by now. I did read in an interview with the director that becomes a focus of the movie. That he's less an indestructible boogey man and more vulnerable . This could be good but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

I think they should have gone with a version where he actually did escape at the end of the original and has been hiding out in society and maybe you got introduced to characters in the movie who may or may not be him. That would have been a fresh angle for the franchise at least.

35 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Thats dissapointing cause I heard an interview with Danny McBride and he seemed really passionate about make this feel like the original cause he wasn't enjoying modern horrors.

I think that's what one of the complaints was- that it felt too much like a gory, modern slasher as opposed to the goreless original.

Some of those shots were spot on (the one with Michael at the bedroom window prior to Laurie shooting at him) but stuff like the bathroom scene felt more like the crazies from Texas Chainsaw or Devils Rejects.

The problem is that the genre has moved on for the current generation, and adjustments have to be made to suit. In the way that amazing SFX are just taken for granted now in sci-fi films versus a 1970s audience seeing Star Wars for the first time, I think most teenagers would probably be mildly bored by the original Halloween because they’ve been desensitised by loads of more gory stalk and slash films. The original certainly doesn’t feel like an 18 these days. Have they set a classification for this one yet ?

I liked that trailer, and I’m quietly encouraged. I like the idea of the beginning at the mental hospital - hope there’s a bit of meat to that.

8 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I like Halloween 2 so this has it's work cut out for me.

I like it too. I’m treating this like the old Marvel “What If...” comics they used to do.

Carpenter apparently wanted Halloween to be standalone, but his agent suggested that he could make a big pile of cash from a sequel because of the original’s popularity. He said that every night before starting work on the script he would down a six-pack to get in the mood to do it, but then couldn’t resist adding a few scenes during filming (and directing them himself) because he thought Rick Rosenthal’s film was a bit too tame.

He said he'd go back to it if he was allowed to do The Fog first, but he wasn't all that keen. Tommy Wallace passed on directing when he saw the first script. He went on to direct Season of the Witch the following year. I think the first three are all really sound horror flicks, Halloween being the obvious daddy.

The original is one of my favourite films ever but this trailer isn't doing it for me. Also I wouldn't assume that he isn't Laurie's brother from this. Could just be part of the plot that she has broken the connection with the family over the years for personal reasons. I will see this but I'm not holding out much hope. 

I read a director interview where he said he specifically wanted Michael not to be Laurie's brother as that's not scary to anyone not related to him. Which is ridiculous imo. The fact that they were related gave it a huge and horrible poignancy. I dont know if I was interested in this film or not but that fact alone made me think the director has missed the point. 

No, she definitely isn't his sister in this. That's part of the reason for ignoring all the sequels. The Director said he was pushing to get his way with that from the beginning. He said he felt having Michael targeting Laurie coz of a family tie made him less scary than him just going after her coz he's just a deranged killer. Also it makes him less of a threat to others if he's only killing people who get in his way.  " I had no reason to be scared of Michael coz I'm not his fucking brother" is what he actually said. @Cat I do get his point actually. Also remember Laurie wasn't his sister in the original movie anyway.

Oh I don't think it makes Michael scarier being related. I just think it makes it all more heart breaking and emotive. Just having him be any other oogeyboogeyman seems to diminish one of his central tragedies. 

The ‘TV’ version of Halloween does have the sister stuff in it (the scene is on youtube). Just trawled online though, and as I suspected the additional scenes were filmed during production of Halloween 2, so they just followed the newly established plotline.

I never got any sort of tragedy from H1 or H2 though. In H1 he was intended to be a motiveless killer, and even though the sister storyline was established in H2 it seemed it was just to give him a focus. The only real bond he showed was with Loomis. 

The familial bond for me was only really introduced in the Rob Zombie remake, with him trying to communicate to Laurie that he was her brother near the end, which is one of the reasons I like his first one. The second one is total bobbins though.