rllmuk
Mr. Gerbik

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

I believe a pi can have you covered on all that, especially if you're prepared to accept "At the wall" as counting as switching it on remotely.  I've not personally tried Final Burn on a Pi so someone will have to chime in on that one and obviously it won't have quite the MAME range a powerful PC will.

Essential

Pi (ideally the 3/3+)

Controller

Micro SD Card - Anything over 8gb will work, you probably need 32 or 64 for what you want it to do there but the sky is the limit.

Hdmi cable

USB power adapter capable of 2.5A.

Optional

Case

The low effort way to get the lot would be something like https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-3b-plus-starter-kit

You'll want to download retropie, which is a self contained OS.  Couple of tiny bits of config and you can copy your ROMS to it via the network.

https://retropie.org.uk/

That's about it really, at least to get a working system. It's been covered in this thread a bit but I'm sure we can all help you.

Incidentally, if anyone else wonders into this thread and is starting from dead zero.

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3b-plus-retro-gaming-bundle

That's the price of a SNES or Mega Drive Mini and contains everything short of the files you'd need to construct a system that'll play everything from the NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Master System, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and probably have room left over for a few other period consoles as well.

• Upvote 1

So adding a WiFi smart plug will solve the remote switch on and off?

If I buy that pi and case, what else would I need to make my controllers work on it?

Thanks a lot!!

12 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

So adding a WiFi smart plug will solve the remote switch on and off?

If I buy that pi and case, what else would I need to make my controllers work on it?

Thanks a lot!!

PS4 controllers should work fine with Retropie, you don't need to buy anything else.. The only thing I would say is that if you want to use the controller wirelessly, you would have to decouple it from the Playstation, so it's not really practical to share a pad between a PS4 and a Pi that way. If you want to use the same controller for both, then you'd need to plug it into the Pi via USB.

• Upvote 1

And for he 8bitdo, the pi has Bluetooth so that’s easy enough. It’s a little unfriendly to get it set up but nothing you can’t be faq’d through in about thirty seconds.

• Upvote 1

Over the bank holiday weekend I unearthed my Pi 3 from the garage and decided to give RetroPie another go. I’d tried it a few years back and thought the games looked terrible on screen.

A bit of tinkering later and scanlines enabled on MAME and Final Burn and I was blown away. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Ninja Warriors looks particularly impressive on a large wide screen TV.

Yeah I recently got into the whole scanlines thing. I usually don't bother as here in the UK it wasn't something you saw unless in the arcade. I always felt the default bilinear filter was more akin to my old telly. However I do have to say it makes things look fantastic. I'm using the zfast curve shaders and have added some simple bezels and it really fleshes it all out. The only downside with shaders I can see is it does make the image ever so slightly darker.

Got to be careful with Retropie when I'm off work. Days are eaten up with it!

I am going to buy the fuck out of that when they let me.

• Upvote 1

I've a couple  of questions I'm hoping one of you kind people can answer:

• Neo Geo emulation - I'm finding that sound volume is all over the place and randomly goes up and down. Is this s known issue and if so, is there a fix?
  • I've got Street Fighter Alpha 2 up and running in final burn and would like to map my wired Xbox 360 Street Fighter pad to the correct buttons. Is there any way to do this? If I go through the Pi set up menu set the controller up through that the buttons are mapped incorrectly on SFA2

Msny thanks for any help you can give.

I've recently set up a pi 3b for emulation and whilst the ease of setting one up using a pre built image and sheer versatility of the overall solution is very welcome - one of the things which I am noticing is input lag (at least thats what I think it is). Aria of Sorrow on GBA and Devil Crush on PCE don't feel as snappy as I'm used to (noting that I've only ever played Devil Crush via the Wii VC - never on original hardware). And Parapper is, frankly, impossible.

Its not a fatal blow as there are retro games which don't rely on timing to be enjoyed - but I am worried that I will get a false impression of titles which I am not familiar with.

It also feels as though its worse than emulation solutions which I have experienced elsewhere. For example GBA being emulated on the PSP.

Is this a well trodden issue?  And can I do anything about it (changing TV and/or using original hardware notwithstanding).

I gave my little bro a Pie 2+ I had lying around and he's installed RetroPie on it. He brought it back to me as he was struggling to get PSX games running so I've had my first experience of RetroPie and generally quite impressed.

Sorted the PSX, the usual issue of .bin and .cue files (he had obtained .ecm's). Not convinced on the screen filtering - looks worse than my genuine Snes and MD hardware on a digital TV but in terms of vfm and options pretty happy.

Just need to find some PSX images now. I added 2000 SNES and MD roms I had lying around but PSX seem to be individual from my quick search but some helpful soul here might PM me a link to an image set.

On 17/05/2019 at 14:10, MrMorgasaurus said:

Oh yes. No problems there. All other console devices connected are nice and responsive.

The shaders slow things down in my experience, so if you have those on you could try turning them off.

Playing master system sonic 1 with a DS4 is weird (Because the 360 knockoff pads that came with my retro pi are shit) both buttons are jump?

switching to n64 and mk64 accelerate is on circle?

These are fixable things of course.

I have a vague feeling that both buttons might have been jump on SMS tbf.

Does anyone know how I would turn off autofire on my Picade using Retroarch/Emulation Station/MAME? My bloody 10 year old discovered he can just hold down one of the buttons in Track & Field and it's ruined the high score table. 

• Empathy 1

On 24/05/2019 at 08:30, Dudley said:

These are fixable things of course.

I have a vague feeling that both buttons might have been jump on SMS tbf.

What else can they be? Sonic can only jump.

You sure there is a go fast button on sonic 1?  I don't remember it until at least 2 or 3.

There’s no “go fast” button on 2 or 3 either. First one was Sonic 3D.

Looking for help from the people who have the Picade I keep a error when trying to download the Picade hat installler And was hoping other have had this problem  the error message is:

Updating apt indexes...

.......w. Failed to fetch http://dl.bintray.com/pipplware/dists/jessie/main/binary/ ./Packages 403 Forbidden [IP:54.93.138.218.89]

W: Failed to fetch http://dl.bintray.com/pipplware/dists/Jessie/armv7/binary/ ./Packages 403 Forbidden [IP:54.93.138.218 80]

E:some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead

Apt failed to upgrade indexes!

go fast button was in Sonic CD, well, if holding up as well.

Just getting back into using my Pi and wanted to get a new controller for it. Was looking to get a Wii U Pro controller but can't seem to find any for a decent price and wondered if anyone knew if either of these two controllers are compatable:

Jevogh and CooleedTEK

Looking at the Question and Answers for both, there are conflicting responses if either will work with the Pi

If anyone has other suggestions, I don't mind hard wired or wireless.

Also, if I go down the route of a SNES style, may get this Buffalo Gamepad, there is a newer version BSGP815GY but can't see what the difference is, in regards to the hardware, there is a longer wait for delivery for the newer one but can not see the difference in the kit.

You're wanting something analogue then?

SNES style the Buffalos are 2nd only to 8bitDo from what I hear.

But I have a pair of much cheaper ones and they're perfectly good.