rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: undying | mind | the | step

41 minutes ago, Broker said:

089C8CE2-1BDF-46F4-8EBD-C77380BB980D.jpeg

All laudable stuff - but it rather looks like we have to wait until the end of March for the good stuff and there's a worrying absence of any reference to DLC 2 there.

I mean I still really like this game warts and all, but I doubt I'll be hanging around another 4 months for some actual new content to drop.

And that rather looks like a very extended season 2 if season 3 doesn't start until May?

2 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

All laudable stuff - but it rather looks like we have to wait until the end of March for the good stuff and there's a worrying absence of any reference to DLC 2 there.

I mean I still really like this game warts and all, but I doubt I'll be hanging around another 4 months for some actual new content to drop.

And that rather looks like a very extended season 2 if season 3 doesn't start until May?

New content is worthless when the core game is in the state its in. The majority of players who've quit, myself included, wont come back for anything less than the stuff in the March+ list, and thats only if they change the crap weapon loadout back to the way it was in Destiny 1. Otherwise the game, and Bungie, can go do one.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Is there anything more boring than your progress being tied to limited random drops? I’m stuck in the exact place I was before, one point off max power, doing milestones and then hoping that the reward happens to be for the right slot. It feels completely pointless, doing the same things every week and then when I return to collect my rewards I get another fucking hat, grenade launcher or sniper rifle (these weapons are very clearly the ones the game favours giving me, which is such a shit feeling). 

Then there’s nothing. I’ve finished the week’s worth of stuff and because they’ve ruined the crucible, nobody is playing and it’s getting worse and worse to play. I’ve been here before, but I can feel myself giving less and less of a shit, and I’ve definitely been enjoying this more and am far more invested than the majority of the player base. It’s so badly designed, it would be so easy to ensure that your powerful gear cycled through each type of weapon and armour so you at least knew you were going to get the thing you wanted at some point. I feel like a fucking idiot for playing.

• Empathy 1

Does anyone know what happens to the mod you had equipped when you apply the raid perk to raid armour? Assume you loose it? Or does it go back on inventory if you want to swap back later?

7 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

New content is worthless when the core game is in the state its in. The majority of players who've quit, myself included, wont come back for anything less than the stuff in the March+ list, and thats only if they change the crap weapon loadout back to the way it was in Destiny 1. Otherwise the game, and Bungie, can go do one.

On behalf of all lapsed Destiny 2 players, I hereby announce our terms.

• Upvote 5

Played for a while last night. It seemed a little more active, although not in our roster. Completed all the obvious solo-able milestones (everything bar Raid and Nightfall) and bagged just one MW weapon (sharded.)

Then spent a chunk of time in IB. Had some fun, actually. I can see the Crucible changes make for fewer exciting plays, but it does mean I actually have a reasonable chance at killing people. I've had the Hand Cannon and Titan arms drop so far.

Also enough random loot from milestones and engrams to level up a few secondary weapons in prep for more masterworks. And my Raid armour's had retrospective perks added (need Calus tokens.) All in all, nice.

Garden Progeny is ace. It's not immensely powerful - it takes two precision hits to take down a Vex Goblin - but the range is mental, it's basically a primary sniper rifle. I used it pretty much exclusively for ages.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm nearly at the end of getting all Vance's weapons, too. Some of them look OK, but I haven't really played with them. Are any of them supposed to be any good?

The sidearm Travellers Judgement is absolutely superb, probably my favourite in the game.
I like the pulse Machina Dei 4 - its a bit weedy compared to the all powerful Nameless Midnight bit I like the precise feel of it.

Null Calamity is a pretty good Energy AR
Infinite paths 8 is a pretty solid energy pulse

Jack Queen King 3 is ok, not brilliant but it's got some use but I got far more kills with the Kinetic West of Sunfall 7, I was using them both in a ridiculous lucky pants Hunter build for fun, really really like WoS7
Most people love perfect paradox but I've never really got on with shotguns.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Oz said:

Does anyone know what happens to the mod you had equipped when you apply the raid perk to raid armour? Assume you loose it? Or does it go back on inventory if you want to swap back later?

You lose it.

20 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm nearly at the end of getting all Vance's weapons, too. Some of them look OK, but I haven't really played with them. Are any of them supposed to be any good?

Scout is good and so is the energy smg and sidearm. The auto and shotgun are excellent in my opinion. They are all PvE weapons though. I would not take em to the crucible.

• Upvote 1

I really like the feel and look of the new iron B hand cannon. Hits like a truck. The scout probably has the most sensible perks but I just don't enjoy fast firing precision weapons.

Faster movement sounds good, obvs. And making shotguns and so on more viable would also be nice.

One bit I don't get is they're talking again about speeding up supers more, but seemingly nothing on abilities. Maybe this is a PvP thing, but with Masterworks in PvE now, I've got my super pretty frequently. But I'm still obviously struggling to get my 'nades going. (To the point where my whole mods build is about cooldowns for grenades and melee.)

I guess they're just unpicking all the slowing down the Crucible stuff, which will make me less inclined to PvP (which isn't why I Destiny) at the hopeful improvement of PvE feeling fun again.

They're on the case with abilities.

The next items on our agenda after these changes include the mod system rework (which we plan to use to buff ability cooldowns)

Bummer that you'll have to do it with mods rather than have quicker cooldowns baked in that you can then shorten further with mods, but it's a start. 

I'd recommend reading the whole update if you haven't already. Most encouraging, imo, is this line about the shoulder charge nerf being fully reverted:

The goal of the untargeted distance nerf was to discourage using the ability as a movement mode by making it only effective when using it against enemies. In retrospect, we think this change was a mistake and we’ve heard you all say the same. We believe there are a number of gameplay atoms like this that perform or are used differently than we expected but are thoroughly enjoyed nonetheless. In the future, we want to embrace the state of gameplay atoms like that and balance around it, not against it.

That is very, very good news, and not just for Titans.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I'd recommend reading the whole update if you haven't already. Most encouraging, imo, is this line about the shoulder charge nerf being fully reverted:

Yeah, I gave it a read earlier. It's all positive, for sure.

I'm just a bit, I don't know, deflated by it all somehow? Like, it seems to reveal a loss of confidence/vision/plan. All these changes are, I think, things that need to happen.  But I'm not sure if at the end of it the game gets much more compelling?

Don't know. I'm still playing it quite a lot, and when it's good, it's still great.

The way they went on about fixing snipers, shotties and fusion rifles sounds like the current weapon system is here to stay, regardless of it being crap. Seems they just dont want to admit that it does not work.

I'm just not sure it's something they can "fix" even if they agreed that they should. It's pretty core to the D2 setup. I kind of feel they need to separate shotties, snipers and fusions from grenades and rockets and have 4 weapon slots, but fuck knows how that works.

he does say in the update they were unable to balance snipers like they wanted due to a bug. I got the sense that after fixing said bug they were going to let it settle and then look into changing the weapons slots as well. I understood they were going to try different things until the use of snipers is what they 'intended' (which it isn't at the moment). so my read is the weapon slot system was also in their sights. 

the previous system was another thing in D1 which was not working as intended in any case (particularly in crucible). I say this because 'secondary' weapons were being used more often than 'primary' weapons in certain crucible modes. which was clearly not the intention judging from the way in which the slots had been named. but maybe this was another Titan jump scenario where instead of balancing against it they should have balanced around it (for example extending the range, ammo capacity or aim assist of primaries).

I don't want to run faster.

I want to be able to rely on my grenades as a tactical option, or a last resort. I want to be able to play with something other than an auto rifle. I want Scout Rifles to be a viable primary option, I want to be able to snipe, or use a shotgun.

They say explicitly that they want to see shotguns and snipers used again. There's a simple answer to that. MOVE THEM TO THE ENERGY SLOT.

Just increasing energy ammo isn't going to bring snipers back in, it's going to make every game a mess of constant rockets. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

The goal of the untargeted distance nerf was to discourage using the ability as a movement mode by making it only effective when using it against enemies. In retrospect, we think this change was a mistake and we’ve heard you all say the same. We believe there are a number of gameplay atoms like this that perform or are used differently than we expected but are thoroughly enjoyed nonetheless. In the future, we want to embrace the state of gameplay atoms like that and balance around it, not against it.

Bring back Titan skating, random rolls and the old weapon system and I'd consider re-installing. I don't miss D2 at all after not playing for months but I'd be all over a new D1 DLC!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Weavus said:

Bring back Titan skating, random rolls and the old weapon system and I'd consider re-installing. I don't miss D2 at all after not playing for months but I'd be all over a new D1 DLC!

The community is a bit split now, and honestly I'm not sure if Destiny 2 will ever be as good as Destiny 1 was, even if they did change all that. People have moved on, and may not go back to it when its fixed.