rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

At least this means I might actually finish an escalation protocol now.

I actually find them pretty fun when everyone gets involved and are flinging all kinds of stuff at bosses, but sometimes when there's low numbers it can be a bit

qQkz_l.gif

• Upvote 1

Caught up this week on some exotic quests and picked up: Thorn, Lumina and Truth

Truth is a fucking beast of a rocket launcher. No wonder i kept getting slaughtered in Gambit!

So I now have access to my PS4 characters on PC. My main is a warlock at power level 500 and I've never finished Forsaken so I decided to buy a copy for PC to play through it before Shadowkeep launches.

Has anyone noticed it's really hard to buy now on PC? The blizzard store pages are all 404 and cdkeys is out of stock. Greenmangaming only has an expensive edition.

Also this game is just stunning in 4k/60. A real pleasure to play. I'm guessing I need forsaken to get the quest that gives the 700 free power gear?

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

There'll be fuckery involved with licensing from Activision or removing Activision from the licensing or whatever. I should imagine it'll be readily availability after 1st October.

No doubt. I just never expected it would vanish from sale before the switch over :( I mean I'm far less likely to buy Forsaken after 1st October. I'll be too busy playing the new one :)

I suppose I could just play around with my lower level alts. My hunter is pretty low level I think

Looks good but why did they spoil the dungeon? They're supposed to be surprise secret events but now they are flagged up in the seasonal roadmap and we get to see where they're set and what you do!

It'll still be great but seems a real shame that they have to do that. I suspect they feel the 'community' demands it so they have to do it. 

Big news in TWAB: huge changes to the levelling system, the damage system, bye bye pinnacle weapons, and legendary weapon perks nerfed.

Spoiler

COMBAT CHANGES

As discussed previously, damage numbers in Destiny 2 have been a bit out of control. We’re making some adjustments so the numbers shown are smaller and easier to comprehend without affecting the percentage of damage you’re dealing. We’re also adjusting how your Power works when you go up against enemies tougher than you. Here are some more details on what to expect. 

PVE DAMAGE NUMBERS DISPLAY

Goal: To provide players with useful and legible feedback for damage dealt to enemy combatants across many years of Power progression.

Displayed damage numbers for damage dealt to non-Guardian enemy combatants are crunched

Damage dealt is displayed using fewer digits to enhance readability of damage output

Occurrences of displayed damage getting capped at 999,999 should be significantly reduced or eliminated

The exponential curve used to calculate damage numbers for display is replaced with a new linear curve that is built to last for many years

As players grow in Power, displayed damage numbers increase at a much more measured pace than previously

This is a UI update only; player damage output, whether measured as hits to kill, time to kill, or DPS, remains unchanged by this update

PVE DIFFICULTY TUNING

Goals: Widen the sweet spot where fighting higher-level combatants provides a fun, challenging, and rewarding combat experience for a more enjoyable Power climb. Also, allow players looking for even greater challenges to confront much higher-level enemies.

Combatants that are 10–40 levels higher take less time to kill and deal less damage

Higher-level combatants continue to increase in difficulty up to 100 Power levels above the player

When enemies are 100 Power levels or higher above the player, they are immune to damage

Nameplate icons on higher-level combatants have been updated to reflect these changes

These changes affect only higher-level combatants; the at-level or over-level experience remains unchanged

PROGRESSION AND ECONOMY CHANGES

Every Season brings with it some tweaks to the Power climb. Shadowkeep is going to deliver significant changes to how you grow in strength. We also want to make you aware of changes to various currencies and the Eververse Trading Company before you set out to power up your gear.

REWARDS POWER AND PROGRESSION

All non-powerful rewards now drop 3 to 0 points below your highest equippable Power level, up from 15 to 20 below

Year 2 powerful reward sources have changed to Legendary rewards

These sources no longer have a chance to drop a random Exotic instead of the Legendary gear

Bonus Exotics that drop from Nightfall: The Ordeal will drop at the character’s highest equippable Power level

Under- and over-leveling activities no longer adjust how much Power is received from the rewards

Experience no longer fuels a player’s character level, which has been changed to be level 50 for all characters

Experience instead progresses the Season Pass, Seasonal Artifact mod, and Power progressions, as well as the unlocking of destinations for new characters

Experience rewards have been rebalanced with the introduction of the Season Pass and Seasonal Artifact progressions

The Power granted from the Seasonal Artifact is additive with the Power of the player’s equippable gear, but does not increase the Power of gear drops

All existing gear has had its Power increased to a minimum of 750; new characters will begin Destiny 2 at Power 750 as well

The Power bands for Season 8 are as follows

Floor: 750

Soft Cap: 900

All drops up to this point will be upgrades to the most powerful item in your inventory or vault

Beyond this point, only powerful and pinnacle rewards will increase a player’s Power

Powerful Cap: 950

All non-powerful/pinnacle rewards are capped at 950

Pinnacle rewards are the only way to raise Power above this point

Powerful rewards are equivalent to the character’s highest-equippable Power beyond this point

Pinnacle Cap: 960

This is the highest Power at which gear drops; also known as the “hard cap”

The Seasonal Artifact bonus Power allows characters to attain values above this level

Prime Engrams

Prime Engrams now gain charges more quickly, drop more frequently, and have a higher maximum charge cap (nine charges, up from six during Year 2)

The Power gains have been rebalanced for the increased frequency, providing +3 Power, down from a range of +4 to +7

Players who have completed the “Prime Example” quest prior to Shadowkeep’s release will earn charges, but those charges won’t drop until the character has reached 900 Power

This will help players avoid spending charges early for gains that are most beneficial during the Soft Cap to Powerful Cap range

BRIGHT DUST

Bright Dust is now earned by completing Crucible, Gambit, and Vanguard weekly and repeatable bounties

We chose to grant all of Bright Dust from ritual weekly bounties rather than spreading it out across the weekly and daily bounties so players could more easily earn Bright Dust without having to make sure they complete every single daily

Players will be able to do the repeatable bounties as many times as they like

Any Crucible, Gambit, or Vanguard completed bounties need to be turned in before maintenance begins on 9/30 as these changes will reset them; other bounties—Gunsmith, clan, Eververse, etc.—can still be claimed after Oct 1

Eververse items no longer dismantle into Bright Dust, and instead grant legendary shards and glimmer

New Eververse items for Season of the Undying will become available for Bright Dust two weeks into the Season

Eververse items no longer require Bright Dust to reacquire them(or re-roll perks) from Collections; instead, they cost the same materials that reward items of the same type/rarity use

Fireteam Medallions have been removed from the store, deprecated into Fizzled Fireteam Medallions, and can now be dismantled into Bright Dust to recover their purchase price (50 Bright Dust)

Gleaming Boon of the Vanguard price has been lowered to 150 Bright Dust

Gleaming Boon of the Crucible price has been lowered to 500 Bright Dust

EVERVERSE

The Season 7 Best of Year One Engram has been retired, and in its place, players can now obtain the new Season 8 Nostalgic Engram

The Seasonal Milestone no longer grants a bounty; instead, it directly grants a Bright Engram

The Season 8 Nostalgic Engram is no longer earned at level up

Instead, the Bright Engram is now included in the free rewards of the Season Pass that are visible before level 100; it’s also awarded every 5 levels after level 100

The Eververse storefront is now available via the Director

Eververse bounties (standard and IGR versions) have been deprecated; any remaining bounty notes can be broken down into Bright Dust

You can still complete and turn in any outstanding Eververse bounties until they expire 

GLIMMER

Players can now store up to 250,000 Glimmer

Glimmer rewards from the majority of sources in the game have been rebalanced

Most open world sources (public events, Lost Sectors, chests) have been significantly increased

Passive Glimmer gain on kill has been reduced

In addition to directly awarding Glimmer on kill, combatants will sometimes drop additional Glimmer chunks

Weekly bounties award a large amount of Glimmer in addition to their other rewards

SPIDER’S EXCHANGE

The Spider welcomes new opportunities with four arms open and now deals in materials from all planets

However, the Spider has noted changes in market value, and has adjusted his exchange rates accordingly:

Glimmer exchange now costs 10 Legendary Shards or 20 materials, and yields 10,000 Glimmer

Tangled Shore daily bounties no longer award Glimmer, providing instead Etheric Spirals (in keeping with his competition)

Weekly wanted bounties no longer award gear, but now provide between 3,000 and 15,000 Glimmer in addition to the Enhancement Cores currently offered

XÛR

Xûr’s inventory pool and Fated Engram now include world-drop Exotics from Year 2

PATCH NOTE PREVIEW

We’ll have a bunch of bullet points for you to peruse next week. Here’s something to tide you over until then.

Added rally banners to Leviathan, Eater of Worlds, and Spire of Stars 

“The Shattered Throne” Dungeon is now available at all times instead of on a three-week cycle

It can also be launched and reset from the Director

Black Armory forges are now accessible through a Director-launched playlist on EDZ

Weapon mods are now treated as reusable unlocks instead of consumables; any mods you have in your inventory will be converted to unlocks

If the only copy of a mod you have is already in a gun, you will need to reacquire one to unlock it 

Discarding an Enhancement Core no longer deletes the entire stack

Borealis and Hardlight now match the Prism modifier when changing elements on reload, rotating through Void, Arc, and Solar

Fixed an issue where the Hunter’s Tempest Strike melee ability couldn’t be performed if the sprint button/key was set to Hold

The Phoenix Protocol Hearth perk will no longer award bonus Super energy on kills and assists to Warlocks inside a Well of Radiance if they do not also have the Well of Radiance (Attunement of Grace) subclass equipped

Fixed an issue where allied Golden Gun projectiles weren’t going through Banner Shields

Fixed an issue where the Queen’s Wrath perk for the Exotic Wish-Ender Bow wasn’t correctly highlighting players if their shield was depleted

Players who’ve obtained the Salute emote in the past can now correctly select it in their collection and assign it to their emote wheel

Multiplayer (buddy) emotes will now have a visible indication of where a player can stand to interact and initiate the emote

Failing the first encounter for any Black Armory forge will no longer award planetary destination materials. ಠ_ಠ

RITUAL WEAPONS AND PERK CHANGES

In Season of the Undying, pinnacle weapons will become ritual weapons. They will no longer have special perks and will instead be curated rolls. A previous article incorrectly showed two new pinnacle weapons. The good news is you will be getting three ritual weapons for each of the ritual activities: Crucible, Vanguard, and Gambit. Here’s the Destiny Dev Team on why we made this difficult decision and some information on upcoming perk changes. 

Destiny Dev Team: The decision to stop creating extremely powerful pinnacle weapons was made for a variety of reasons. The first was that the band in which “pinnacle” perk can exist is actually quite small, and most of them far exceeded the efficacy they should have been at. Another issue is that they cause problems in the player ecosystem, particularly in the case of the Crucible pinnacle weapons. Due to the nature of PvP and PvE, anything that works well in PvP is likely going be extremely effective in PvE as well. This forces players into the Crucible if they want the “best” loadouts. Even the title of “pinnacle” set a variety of unrealistic expectations. Rather than being the absolute height of Legendary power, they were supposed to be interesting novelties to chase.

These problems became more pronounced the more of them we produced. In the end, we decided to move away from pinnacle weapons. If you managed to collect them all, we hope you enjoy them!

While we’re on the subject of weapons, here are a few important notes on changes to how perks will work.

REDUCED THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE FOLLOWING PERKS IN PVE:

Rampage, Kill Clip, Swashbuckler, Multikill Clip, Desperado, Surrounded, Master of Arms, Onslaught

In general, these perks use the same damage multipliers for PvE that they did in PvP

The change to Rampage does not affect the Huckleberry

Onslaught and Desperado now change bullet impact values while active in PvE

Surrounded no longer multiplies precision damage on top of base damage, as it was benefiting some weapon types more than others as a result

Legendary weapons have become too powerful overall. In many cases, they even outclass Exotic Primary weapons, so we’re walking them all back a bit. All the way back in original Destiny, we had a perk named Crowd Control, which was Rampage’s predecessor. Crowd Control capped out at a bonus of +15% extra damage. At this point in Destiny 2, Rampage caps out at about +67%. That’s a 447% increase from the original iteration. Legendary damage perks have become so powerful, they simply invalidate non-damage related perks. 

Also,

Destiny_SoU_Calendar_EN.png?cv=398362121

Hmm, those nerfs are interesting.

With the whole new armour system, and the likes of rampage being less effective, they're obviously giving us plenty of reason to play around with different builds. Obvious too they're trying to rein in the power creep, maybe making the game as a whole harder, at least I hope so. 

Looking forward to Tuesday, see how all these changes play. Even if my beautiful 1-2 punch shotgun plus liar's handshake electric punch hunter build is now dead.

I'm on a D2 break after playing far too much PvP to complete Recluse and Luna's Howl, but the trailer has be excited to get back in next week. Datto's video I glanced at but there's already enough hype without giving streamers that much early access.

• Upvote 1

Speaking as someone who was never, ever going to be anywhere near good enough at PvP to get Recluse, I for one welcome our new Huckleberry overlords.

Shame that they broke the neck of... Breakneck though. Didn't need to go out like that. 

I need some to explain something like I'm a 5 year old. On Xbox me and my OH bought Destiny 2 and all the expansions up to and including Forsaken on her account. Now I'm looking at Shadowkeep and thought I may as well buy the 50 quid one on my account. However it says nothing about Forsaken being included with it. Does anyone know why this is? Should we just play it safe and buy Shadowkeep on her account?

It technically shouldn't matter because of the game sharing thing, I'm just trying to get it straight in my head.

That's because Forsaken doesn't come with Shadowkeep. You'd need to buy it separately (but if you did, it'd come with the full season pass for Year 2).

I suppose at some point in the future it might get bundled in, in some new edition. But if buying now you should do it on your partner's account.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DonRumsfeld said:

I’m in on PS4 but where did the music go? D1 has never been topped for soundtrack. 

Eh, D2 and the expansions all had amazing music.

Will get into this once again (from a technical point of view I'm quite relieved as the menu lags and other technical problems of Borderlands 3 started to get on my nerves). Similar to @lewismistreated I've never been great in D2.

21 hours ago, Gorf King said:

That's because Forsaken doesn't come with Shadowkeep. You'd need to buy it separately (but if you did, it'd come with the full season pass for Year 2).

So existing Forsaken players will automatically get the Year 2 season pass?