rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Monster Hunter World launches this Friday, anyone else picking it up?

I ask this in this topic because I played a ton of Destiny 1 and a bit of 2 with you lot, and wonder if you fancy hunting beasties with me.

Embargoes and that but after 20 hours Monster Hunter is *absolutely* my new Destiny. Ticks a lot of the same boxes and adds janky, but incredibly satisfying Dark Souls combat. I am obsessed. 

——

Meanwhile, of the three people that played Destiny 2 last week, two backed New Monarchy, and the presumably rubbish gun they had to offer is available now. I might uninstall Destiny 2 tonight. 

• Upvote 2

I think I know how to push you over the edge. People had been speculating that DeeJ was leaving as Bungie we’re advertising for a new community manager, but fear not he's actually got a promotion!

I've been at Bungie for 7 years, with no signs of stepping away any time soon. Day to day, I'm working more to evolve our customer service and communications. That takes me one step away from the very front lines of the community, so I'm being succeeded by better, newer blood.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/activisions-destiny-2-is-struggling-right-now-cowen-analyst.html

"We do think Bungie still has some opportunity to fix the game's problems over the next year and recapture engagement, but we're not sure they have the ability to pull it off at this point," he wrote. "We also note that Destiny currently has more serious competition in its genre from a refurbished Division (Ubisoft) and the indie title Warframe than it did three years ago, when D1 had its own share of player dissatisfaction."

All the things they've said they're going to implement over the next year sound like band aid fixes to me, and dont even bring it up to par with the original, so unless they pull something big out their ass (some amazing new feature), they could be in some serious trouble.

5 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

All the things they've said they're going to implement over the next year sound like band aid fixes to me, and dont even bring it up to par with the original, so unless they pull something big out their ass (some amazing new feature), they could be in some serious trouble.

I agree. I have spent a lot of time with the game but I just don't really feel like there is anywhere to go with it. 

Feels like I'm at the end of a relationship that has run its course. I log on most days and it just reminds me that I should be playing Crucible and I don't want to.

12 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Meanwhile, of the three people that played Destiny 2 last week, two backed New Monarchy, and the presumably rubbish gun they had to offer is available now. I might uninstall Destiny 2 tonight. 

I backed them! The other faction had armour that was made of old

blackboards.

I just don't get how they ballsed this game up so badly. D1 lasted me years, and I'd spend hours every weekend trying to go flawless on trials. And I never got bored. The first weekend of trials in D2 was enough for me, pretty much. What a mess. :(

I can't imagine any PC players who have arrived fresh to this experience having any of these complains. say probably having not played D1 on console. it is probably the best feeling shooter on PC at the moment in my opinion. it has a relatively long campaign (compared to other shooters), good PvP with a low barrier of entry, the PvP can be fun even for low skill players (low barrier of entry in PvP unlike something like PUBG or Overwatch), a lot of gun diversity, a friendly community , an interesting universe, multiple and diverse looking interesting lore ridden planets to explore, greatly optimised, diverse and interesting enemy AI, brilliant art design and music, six player multiplayer raids (only FPS that has that on PC as far as I know), no lag on PvP even though there are no dedicated servers, the multiplayer is well balanced (except for the odd lens weekend), simple skill tree so you can focus on the shooting, lots of visual options to make it run on any PC, options to add key binding as required for any preference, excellent controller pad support (almost feels like it was made for a pad), wide screen support, HDR support from launch, option to run it up to 8K, it has never been down except for planned maintenance,  more content released barely a couple of months after launch (including a short but excellent new raid),  an xmas event a couple of weeks after that, a faction rally a couple of weeks after that,  a multiplayer event (Iron Banner) a couple of weeks after that,  micro-transaction are only related to cosmetic items,  all content provides top tier rewards (including very easy content such as public events and single player content), you can play any activity you want in any order and you would still get to max level in a reasonable amount of time (does not require a crazy amount of grind to get most if not all items in the game). In my opinion, if you are playing on PC just stay out of reddit and you will be fine. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I think I actually hate him. 

Man! Actually! .... I remember watching some Youtube video shortly after vanilla Destiny was released where some glazed-eye'ed fucking weirdo guy was being interview, just joylessly spouting disengage corporate rhetoric about how well the launch went. 

I thought he was fucking totally strange, I've just realised that it's that Deej guy.   

If you want first time PC impressions, I tried the trial a while back, before I'd heard of all the controversy. It gets you about half of the EDZ and Titan, and unlimited access to casual PvP. It looks great and runs well, and the movement/aiming feels leagues ahead of the last Bungie game I'd played (Halo 3). The UI is very slick and it's nice being in an open world with people, teaming up for public events and the like, without any sort of obligation that I have to form a relationship with these people. I really enjoyed the PvP, it felt quite casual and I was doing well with it - my only complaint was some of the maps (Bastion) were too big for the playercount.

That said, even without having played D1, it was clear a few aspects were "off", and they generally correspond with the complaints - grenades were useless in PvP, not even taking off a shield. They also recharged ridiculously slowly, to the point you might get off 2 or 3 a match, clearly nerfed into irrelevance. The weapon slot system felt weird - I often chose suboptimal stats just to some variety between types in the first and second slots, and every other weapon was limited to the third, meaning you never saw whole types drop.

I chose not to buy it, the campaign was middling, and the amount of content felt lite, I also wasn't too enthused by having to buy regular DLC releases on top for something I'd only play casually. Also to get a bit pseudy, there was always a mercurial feeling about Bungies older stuff, I'm quoting Eurogamer here:

I have always associated Bungie's artists' love and mastery of cloud forms with their composers' equal mastery of choral arrangements-both being ethereal, formless things that gesture at unspoken greatness with little specificity.

I got that feeling from Halo, and from Music of the Spheres, I don't get it with Destiny 2, the awkward humour and self-aware tone just reminded me of Borderlands.

This video (from the old Reef reveal) featured Chris Barrett (of recent twitter fame), along with Deej in his usual not-answering-questions-but-his-mouth-moves-nontheless, and of course Gothalion who did his best to ask some community questions (while ripping the piss out of Deej).

Obviously these sort of streams/videos are long gone now, and wont be returning it seems. Just highlights how different the old streams were compared to the more recent ones, especially the mood.

Also, there's this reply by Deej to Cozmo's post about tomorrows TWAB:

One of Deej's best posts, and one where he more or less admits they done fucked it up.

Anyone read the TWAB this week? Seems like they're really trying to turn things round. Raid armour perks, revised rewards in Raids, armour Masterworks, and so on.

It's odd though. I still find myself a little "so what?" about the changes. I'm not sure a perk that is "20% more elemental damage on the Leviathan" is what I was hoping for, although I don't know what I was expecting. I just get the feeling there's someone behind the scenes vetoing properly fun perks in the name of balance.

Max 15% damage resistance during a super seems like a weird thing to pick for a Masterwork also.

In happier news, I finally hit 335 last night. Nice.

• Upvote 1

I think they tried to avoid anything too OP with the armour masterworks but went too far in the opposite direction. The orb-gen perk on MW weapons is obviously targeted at PVE, but this feels like more of a PVP thing. You only get one super a match most of the time, and there are few worse feelings in the PVP game than being killed while in your super. So fine, I guess, but it's not exciting.

But I agree. It's the best weekly update I can remember in terms of openness – the Bungie of old would never have specified the percentages on armour masterworks, for instance – and I appreciate tremendously the fact that they're shipping the system despite it having a small inconsequential bug, because that feels like a step forward. More broadly it's just nice to see them being open about what they're thinking, rather than just hinting at it. 

Yet it's still not enough to lure me back on the regs, and I think they realise that. At least things are moving in the right direction.

Yeah, agreed with all of that. I wish they'd notice the repeat trend now that people like being powerful (Mayhem, the crazy Prometheus Lens weekend) and ignore their bias towards "balance" for a bit.

Now I've just got to work out if I'm getting Monster Hunter, I guess.