Cosmic_Guru

ELEX - New RPG from Gothic team

Really looking forward to this one from Piranha Bytes.  A traditional RPG in a post-apocalyptic (meteor strike) earth, with access to both traditional melee and projectile weapons, plus a jetpack, non-scaling enemies and factions.  Scheduled for release summer 2017.

I haven't seen too much other than a few screen shots so far but this gamingbolt interview  has really whetted my appetite.  

Also linked to an RPG watch feature back in August with some (pre alpha) gameplay footage.

• Upvote 2

Releasing in a month! I have a real soft spot for Piranha Bytes jank and all, and the post apocalypse theme is right up my alley, so I'm really hyped for this. In the mood for a massive SP RPG too. Please be good!!

• Upvote 1

First game I played of theirs was Gothic 3 and I absolutely adored it, despite having to jump through so many hoops to even finish it due to it crawling with bugs! I'm tempted to stick a preorder on this, though it might be the sensible option to wait for a patch or two. Who remembers the foliage that grew as you got closer to it! LOL.

There are some videos of a German streamer  playing this in the presence of the developer which I browsed some time ago - there's definitely a place for this sort of AA game which is a genuine RPG but not confined to the limitations of Unity or some such.  Anyway looking forward.

10 hours ago, clippa said:

Elex is a true RPG, no Action Game with RPG elements but a true RPG

Does this mean it does the whole dice roll in the background thing where the outcome determines if you hit an enemy or not?

Out on October 17th on Steam btw, I'm guessing the same goes for other platforms. Excited! Watching the trailers and gameplay footage I immediately recognise the same not-quite-right animations that they've kept using from the first Risen onwards. Feels like coming home, it gives me the nostalgic feels :lol: (the running animation for example)

If someone has gameplay that involves talking bits, post it please! Now I want to know whether any of the Risen voice cast have returned :)

I always feel bad for Piranha Bytes, it's like they just need that one big hit to move their development on, but they never get it so the games stay the same. I do like them though, sometimes it's refreshing to play a bit of Euro jank.

Up for this, risen 1 is a favourite of mine. By favourite I mean I funding love the game. Even managed to finish and enjoy risen 2 and 3, even with the jank, the quest design is always interesting with quite interesting ways to finish. Nothing has topped the risen 1 swamp/monastery/town choices though.

47 minutes ago, daveodeth said:

Up for this, risen 1 is a favourite of mine. By favourite I mean I funding love the game. Even managed to finish and enjoy risen 2 and 3, even with the jank, the quest design is always interesting with quite interesting ways to finish. Nothing has topped the risen 1 swamp/monastery/town choices though.

100% agree with all of this, and you should turn your autocorrect off.

I'm still halfway through Divinity 2 but I just reached a perfect point to put it on hold for a bit. Gotta get on dat Piranha jank day one and show support! Hoping for another Risen 1-like rough gem now that they've finally ditched the Pirate theme.

Spoiler

DAT PIRANHA JANK 

DATASS.jpg.804faf9abd42f47be1f48f514ae15d0d.jpg

• Upvote 2

Bought and ready to rock on Steam, really wish there was a preload but whatever, I look forward to it.  Embrace the jank :wub:

As for what you were saying above Clippa those gnomes are awesome and Jaffar in Risen 2 was hilarious (even if the game overall wasn't great)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, clippa said:

21.5gb download <_<

That's the good thing about having such a crap taste in games. My roguelites, shmups and crappy indie games take like 10 minutes to download at the most.

Are you the one with the big hairy cock of a connection, woo? Have you downloaded the entire internet while I've been typing this?

More like floppy cock of a connection, got another 40 - 50mins or so to wait :(

However I am getting pizza whilst waiting so there's something at least good about the wait.

According to Neogaf there was a day one patch.

Crafting

You can now upgrade shields
Bugfixes for socketing weapons

AI

Improved awareness when sneaking
Improved navigation for NPCs and monsters
Better party behavior from NPCs

UI

Missing icons added
Connection bugfixes
Bugfixes for the world map
Bugfixes for the skills display

Gameplay

Bugfixes for item interactions
Sleep will now also replenish energy
Lock picks will break more often
Reduced fall damage with the jet pack
Appropriate behavior when you receive damage on a ladder
Additional slots for autosaves
Monster traps no longer have a focus

Cutscenes

Slight optimization of cutscenes

Story

Caja accompanies the player to all locations
Both PSI amplifiers are now distributed
Minor quest and display fixes

NPCs

Aesthetic improvements to some armor
Improved control of dialogue gestures
Improved facial animations for women
Improved transitions for motion sequences

Combat

Shields can now block ranged weapons
Improved targeting behavior from NPCs
Fixed the situation where companions were not helping with battle in certain situations
Grenades will now always ricochet off of obstacles
Ball lightning will now always jump to the next target

Dialogues

Improved camera in dialogues
Improved placement of conversation partners

Text

Updates and fixes

Engine

Improved shadow mapping to sun position
Eliminated flickering mist when the camera was too close to obstacles
Subtitles are now deactivated by default when the same language is selected for voice and text

Xbox One:

Graphics pipeline optimizations, including VSync activation to remove screen tearing

Ok. I now see what some of the reviews were talking about. Basically until they patch the companion AI don't bother. Most of the time they just stand around and watch you get killed. It's very frustrating