strawdonkey

Splatoon 2 - Octo Expansion AVAILABLE NOW

Looks like it's just a longer range Splosher - don't think it'll do more damage than a normal one. Will be interesting to see - I trust 'em, they been pretty good at balancing things so far.

Wait, what? *You're* level 4, @deKay? How long have you had the game? I thought you meant the other guy.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I've completed the game. There's nothing more to see?

Well, no - there's half of it you haven't even touched. Probably the most enjoyable part (and yes, I know you don't like online gaming).

And it looks like Grindmouse is level 19 and has never touched Clam Blitz? What is up with you guys?

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Tower Control was awesome until they announced this.

If it results in a one hit kill, it'll be rubbish for that mode.

Blasters and sploshers are already the bane of TC; also, a hefty roller will already 1HK anyone on the tower.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Looks like it's just a longer range Splosher - don't think it'll do more damage than a normal one. Will be interesting to see - I trust 'em, they been pretty good at balancing things so far.

It ends with a Blaster popping effect. That's what I am on about. It'll probably get a load of secondary splats*.

*if I read this post five years ago, I'd be like WTF mate?! Nonsense and gobbledegook

1 hour ago, smac said:

Wait, what? *You're* level 4, @deKay? How long have you had the game? I thought you meant the other guy.

Well, no - there's half of it you haven't even touched. Probably the most enjoyable part (and yes, I know you don't like online gaming).

And it looks like Grindmouse is level 19 and has never touched Clam Blitz? What is up with you guys?

I've had it since Christmas. Played through single player, went through it again to get most of the collectables, played maybe three hours online. 

I find the single player more enjoyable than the online. Same with the first game. I wanted the second game just for the single player.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, deKay said:

I've had it since Christmas. Played through single player, went through it again to get most of the collectables, played maybe three hours online. 

I find the single player more enjoyable than the online. Same with the first game. I wanted the second game just for the single player.

Yeah, I know; you pay your money, you can do what you want with it.

Seems a shame not to persevere up to the point you can try out the Ranked modes; the game opens up even more. Plus at level 4, you won't have tried out all of the weapons in online matches.

But I respect your right to choose. Just not the choice you made :-)

• Upvote 2

That new slosher looks like it'll act like a grenade launcher type weapon, I assume it'll be deadly at range but you'll be almost defenceless if they get in close.

Octo Expansion is amazing by the way, such a weird vibe to it like a Terry Gilliam film or something. Nice and hard too so far.

Just a heads up to the terminally cheap such as myself.  Although Splatoon 2 does have some region locking, all the NoE shops sell the same version so you can pick up the Octo expansion for £14.50 or so from the South Africa shop and it will work fine with any Euro cartridge or download.

Can confirm the download from the SA shop works with a UK cartridge.

• Upvote 1

Got three "things" now, and it's getting a bit tricky. The boss with the big roller and you in the ball is a right cheatingbast.

New Splatfest next weekend:

DfxzvdcXkAAfmrB.thumb.jpeg.c0137cb6b3f115601b013e45ccbde490.jpeg

Orange juice with or without bits? Runs next weekend, 23/24 June 2018!

Also on now, until 1pm Monday 18th June:

Screenshot_20180617-073007__01.thumb.jpg.3be8232f6868ff33f69e2ad873653ec3.jpg

Fully random-weapon Salmon Run, including the new Grizzco Slosher.

Grizzco Slosher is probably the most interesting of the Grizzco weapons so far - the others have been super powerful and broken, this has a little more play to it. It hits like a truck and the projectile moves really slowly, so it will chew through a string of Salmonids or demolish a Stingray in one shot. It uses tons of ink per slosh though so you have to be careful.

Sadly doesn't appear you can take out the missile bucket wankers with it though I may just have been sloppy with my aiming so would be delighted to be proven wrong on that!

[edit] oh shit - aim for the centre rather than the buckets!

https://v.redd.it/6w4z5gpcvg411

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Grizzco Slosher is probably the most interesting of the Grizzco weapons so far - the others have been super powerful and broken, this has a little more play to it. It hits like a truck and the projectile moves really slowly, so it will chew through a string of Salmonids or demolish a Stingray in one shot. It uses tons of ink per slosh though so you have to be careful.

Sadly doesn't appear you can take out the missile bucket wankers with it though I may just have been sloppy with my aiming so would be delighted to be proven wrong on that!

[edit] oh shit - aim for the centre rather than the buckets!

https://v.redd.it/6w4z5gpcvg411

Yeah, tricky weapon to play in Salmon Run. Wipes out Boss Salmonids in seconds, but two shots and you're vulnerable.

On 15/06/2018 at 13:30, smac said:

Is it a good mode then?

I got intimidated by the complexities of putting together a loadout and got distracted by other games. I keep meaning to return to it. 

Hmm, I'm not feeling this Octo expansion at all. Fiddly fiddly platforming and instant deaths abound. I like the idea but I don't think the game mechanically lends itself to this diverse puzzle approach. I've never played more than ten minutes of the SP on either game but this is literally a waste of my money, unfortunately. Oh, well. Still one of the greatest MP games I've ever played. 

2 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

You're missing out then. The single player has some great levels. Can get very mario galaxy in their style and design. 

Oh aye! SP on the first Splatoon was like Mario Galaxy DLC at times. The final boss fight alone already made it worth the entrance fee. One of the best boss fights in Nintendo history (the boss design and then when the music kicks in and everyone's cheering you on really did it for me)

Does the SP in the Switch sequel rival that or is it not as good?

2 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

You're missing out then. The single player has some great levels. Can get very mario galaxy in their style and design. 

Fair enough. I'll stick with it because I like the grimy aesthetic and I assume there are some great moments, I just haven't enjoyed the early stages much. 

Final level on Octo Expansion is doing my nut. Can't aim accurately enough quickly enough and retain all the ink needed. Missed out by about 3 seconds on one attempt. Gnngh!

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Is it a good mode then?

I got intimidated by the complexities of putting together a loadout and got distracted by other games. I keep meaning to return to it. 

Have you played any of the Ranked modes? Clam Blitz, Tower Control, Splat Zones, Rainmaker?

Clam Blitz is my favourite - both teams have a large target basket to defend. To score, one of you has to collect 10 clams; this transforms into a giant rugby ball* which you then have to hit the opponent's basket with (past their defence). This opens up the basket to score - any of your team can now throw in clams one at a time. Each clam you throw in scores 3pts, and also keeps the basket open for a little longer. Another giant ball doesn't score as much as ten clams, but does keep the basket open for longer.

Oh, when you have a giant ball, it instantly highlights your position to everyone on both teams. If you superjump to a team-mate or beacon you keep your clams/ball; superjump home and you lose them all. You can use special attacks, but you'll drop your clam/ball with some of them.

There're loads of tactical choices in this mode. When to attack, when to defend, whether to goalhang...

Complexities of a loadout? C'mon...

----

* US players: football.

Also, hadn't realised Marina was an octoling. I must be blind.

And the ending of Octo Expansion...

Spoiler

The world is Earth! Only 12000 years from now!

Bought Splatoon 2 in the sale this weekend, first time I’ve ever played it and my word this is a fun videogame.

(Even if 75% of my playtime has been spent experimenting with different motion control configurations... I will get to the point where it feels natural, dammit!)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, smac said:

Complete bloody disbelief that you hadn't noticed.

I don't see species.

Commendable.

You did spot that Judd is a cat, 'though, didn't you? And that Crusty Sean is a huge prawn?

• Upvote 1

Decided to whack this on randomly last night after playing some fortnight for a bit...

God damn, this is a much better game in almost every way. I completely forgot how much fun it was to play.

Clam Blitz though, not a single clue what's going on there.

11 hours ago, smac said:

Commendable.

You did spot that Judd is a cat, 'though, didn't you? And that Crusty Sean is a huge prawn?

Yes.

There's a whole racism back story in the Octo Expansion. It's deep.