gospvg

Octopath Traveler - Square Enix's Octoposse

I don't mind thee and thou and all that, as long as the grammar's correct. If they just whack -est or -eth on the end of any old word, it's annoying, though.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

Nah, it happens in Ophilia’s story too, and it’s complete gibberish.

I just tried Ophilia's story last night. First time I've played the game.I enjoyed Bravely Default but I just couldn't get into this. The plot was tedious, the writing and voice acting terrible and the combat balance for what I presume is the very start of the game seemed all out of whack. That boss fight at the end of the cave was... frustrating and went on for so long I completely ran out of HP/SP recover and just shut the game down. If there was supposed to be some trick to beating the boss then it either needs to signpost it better or maybe not have that sort of boss as the first one a player might encounter. I couldn't even kill the adds it spawns before they detonate. What are the other characters like?

Pleased there was a demo. Saved me some money :(

Accidentally wandered into a danger level 20 cave... needless to say I've just been one hit killed and it's gone back in sleep mode to charge :(

I remember the boss fight from the first demo. Have they at least fixed not being able to skip the lengthy cutscene in the build up to it on repeated attempts? That was the dealbreaker more than the boss itself.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I just tried Ophilia's story last night. First time I've played the game.I enjoyed Bravely Default but I just couldn't get into this. The plot was tedious, the writing and voice acting terrible and the combat balance for what I presume is the very start of the game seemed all out of whack. That boss fight at the end of the cave was... frustrating and went on for so long I completely ran out of HP/SP recover and just shut the game down. If there was supposed to be some trick to beating the boss then it either needs to signpost it better or maybe not have that sort of boss as the first one a player might encounter. I couldn't even kill the adds it spawns before they detonate. What are the other characters like?

Pleased there was a demo. Saved me some money :(

I haven't done that path, but the Primrose path boss was alarmingly easy. Are you identifying the enemy weakness, saving up your breaks over three turns, then slamming three or four hits against its weakness in one go?

If all else fails on the Phili boss, just level up outside the cave. Your HP goes up dramatically. I was level 5 and it wasn’t too hard. Also recruit a knight to fight alongside you.

Just now, ann coulter said:

I haven't done that path, but the Primrose path boss was alarmingly easy. Are you identifying the enemy weakness, saving up your breaks over three turns, then slamming three or four hits against its weakness in one go?

Yup. You sit there doing that for about 16 hours (Occasionally healing when he does a larger attack) and then after a while he starts spawning an add that detonates for huge damage after three turns (But that has 6 shield). I did all that until I ran out of everything and quit.

Ophilia has two attacks. Stave and holy light. The boss is weak to stave and the add is weak to the spell.

Just now, jonamok said:

If all else fails on the Phili boss, just level up outside the cave. Your HP goes up dramatically. I was level 5 and it wasn’t too hard. Also recruit a knight to fight alongside you.

Hold on. Is that her special skill they show you with the kid where you can drag npcs around with you? I'll give both of those ideas a try tonight.

I'd hope the full game has some bloody handholding. I want a JRPG not Dark Souls :)

Just thought. If I use one of my other profiles I can play more can't I with it being a new save. I really want to like this.

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

Yup. You sit there doing that for about 16 hours (Occasionally healing when he does a larger attack) and then after a while he starts spawning an add that detonates for huge damage after three turns (But that has 6 shield). I did all that until I ran out of everything and quit.

Ophilia has two attacks. Stave and holy light. The boss is weak to stave and the add is weak to the spell.

She has more two attacks in this video..

I think I'm sold on this BTW, I'm wandering the world as Therion and I think for the first time in about 2 decades I want to play a JRPG again!  I just love everything about it.  It has just the right amount of nostalgia pull for me. 

Plus the break thing is kind of awesome. 

LOL, ok so this is the second NPC I've spoken to upon arriving at this place.  If everyone talks like this here, that is going to be annoying. 

DgOkr-bUEAABmr-.jpg:large

• Upvote 2

To be fair I missed the 'trainen' and 'becomen' at first, I spotted the 'ben' at the end and thought it was a typo.  :facepalm:

27 minutes ago, robdood said:

LOL, ok so this is the second NPC I've spoken to upon arriving at this place.  If everyone talks like this here, that is going to be annoying. 

DgOkr-bUEAABmr-.jpg:large

What. The fuck.

OK, I definitely didn't realise it was going to be that bad. It's like someone ran everything through a script to add a letter to the end of random words, rather than doing a manual, creative translation. What were they thinking?

Well, that's my 3 hours done, it let me finish up the section I was in and battle the boss, so that was 3 characters in my party ( started on Prim's story, same as the previous demo ).

I'm quite enjoying it so far and would have liked to carry on the story for the rest of the day, I am considering starting again though, this time without watching all the cutscene stuff and trying to get to a fourth character, hmmmm, speed running a demo sounds like an interesting idea to be sure :)

Just now, revlob said:

Nobody talked liked that in any of the areas I visited. I guess it must be a regional dialect.

Yep, same here, I started with Primrose, moved on to Alfyn and then collected Therion before time ran out, everything spoken or written was in standard English :)
Any decent pre-order prices anywhere? Amazon is £45 would like to try finding it at least a little cheaper.

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

What. The fuck.

OK, I definitely didn't realise it was going to be that bad. It's like someone ran everything through a script to add a letter to the end of random words, rather than doing a manual, creative translation. What were they thinking?

Like, it's baffling.  Is it maybe influenced by the Japanese?  I mean, I don't know much about the language, but are the dialects/words used indicative of heritage/culture?  Perhaps it's one of those lost-in-translation things where the localisation team were given a brief to replicate something in Japanese that doesn't make sense in English? It's definitely bizarre!

I can't wait to hearen the voice actingen, if it also includens iten. 

I finished Ophilia and moved onto hunter. After a while it became obvious that it's a really bad local dialect. Could be worse. They could be saying Boyo or och after every other word.

I love the game now. Love it to bits. I might have found a bug though. I'd just finished the hunter quest. I fast travelled back to Ophilia's start since I was going to go south east of her. First fight I get on the road is two easy mobs. I'm level five. It starts counting up my XP and goes nuts. I end up at level 14. Unless I just fought some weird super slime I don't think that was meant to happen.

I also switched the voice language to japanese and my ears thanked me.

I'm also 100% sold on this after the three hours in the demo absolutely flew by. I went Merchant > Warrior > Dancer and finished up having just reached the dreadeden olde fashioneden areaen everyone is rightly laughing at up there. 

There's something I find incredibly satisfying about the boost/break system in this that does it for me in a way that normal turned based stuff doesn't. Figuring out when to boost and which enemy to focus on works super well. I wouldn't have thought about picking this up before so big shout out to generous effective demos like this.

22 minutes ago, Flub said:

I finished Ophilia and moved onto hunter. After a while it became obvious that it's a really bad local dialect. Could be worse. They could be saying Boyo or och after every other word.

I mean, ok, but -

'One must trainen ... to becomen the best he can ben.'

- the best he can ben? What? Presumably you're supposed to pronounce it with two syllables - be-en or be'en or however you want to write it - but ben? Like the name? Why would anyone in charge of translation or script-writing write it that way? It looks alarmingly amateurish.

Edit: wait, maybe it's straight up supposed to be pronounced been/bean. I guess it is. Hideous.