gospvg

Octopath Traveler - Square Enix's Octoposse

25 minutes ago, boybrown said:

i'm sorry if i'm being thick but how the hell do i get to Stillsnow for Chapter 2 of Prim's story? i can't find a road that leads there. I'm sure i've missed something. 

I've done all the chapter 1's now. I wish my main character was a healer though. I've chosen Cyrus (for some reason) 

Cyrus is the best! I wish I'd chosen him. I want Analyse at all times.

You get to Stillsnow from the western part of H'aanit's woods (S'vaa-something?). Follow the sign that leads you towards Victor's Hollow (I think it's called) and halfway there a sign will lead you to Stillsnow.

• Upvote 1

I love it too.

Cyrus never leaves my party, and neither does Ophelia. I picked Therion first for no particular reason, so that really only leaves one slot for guests. That's worked so far though.

25 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Cyrus is the best! I wish I'd chosen him. I want Analyse at all times.

You get to Stillsnow from the western part of H'aanit's woods (S'vaa-something?). Follow the sign that leads you towards Victor's Hollow (I think it's called) and halfway there a sign will lead you to Stillsnow.

cheers.

i went on the road to Sillsnow with my average 18 lvl party and was promptly wiped out by a big ass polar bear. great game :)

Ah I realised you can't really just stick to one story as you need to be a certain level for new chapters. 

I guess you just go wherever the road takes you, picking up characters as you go along? Is it possible to see all stories to their conclusion in one playthrough then or? 

12 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Ah I realised you can't really just stick to one story as you need to be a certain level for new chapters. 

I guess you just go wherever the road takes you, picking up characters as you go along? Is it possible to see all stories to their conclusion in one playthrough then or? 

Yeah, pretty sure that's how they designed it.

5 hours ago, shynra said:
  Hide contents

He used a move called Somthing like 'teamwork' where one takes damage for the other. You need to attack A with Bs weakness so when it is about to hit A B will jump in and take the blow. Was tricky but was my 3rd recruit so found it okay. 

Spoiler

:lol:  I didn't even notice that and found it fine doing it solo.  I did choose Tressa's 'Rest' as her first perk though, which really helped.  Did you upgrade something else @jonamok?

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

Nice little party planner tool here spotted via Era:

http://octopathplanner.com

Covers subjobs and shows where your party’s attack/magic gaps are. I expect it’s gonna prove very useful once I’ve recruited everyone.

That planner is brilliant. My current party has light missing. 

Edited by boybrown
fix mistake

I wasn’t too sure if I’d like this, since usually any game with deliberately retro graphics just annoys me, but have to say that I’m loving this so far.

I’m just on chapter one for my fifth character, and already there’s a whole wealth of combat options available. The whole system of breaking enemies, and knowing when to use those extra turns is simultaneously simple yet strategic, especially now I realise what the number in those shields means. Every boss battle I’ve had so far has been a good balance of difficult but doable, if you use a little strategy and don’t get greedy with dishing out damage at the expense of healing.

Chose Alfyn as my main, and he’s proving to be very adaptable, being able to utilise both elemental attacks and healing for the party as the situation dictates.

Teressa* and Therion were the last two characters to join my party. No wonder I was always so broke. Already significantly more wealthy, I’m adding them both for the next few hours of travelling. Let the grinding for money begin. Okay, Primrose, you can come along too.

Starting off with Alfyn as my main seems canonical in some ways because his home town is the most generic of the eight. It would have been weird to start in the snow, for instance. It’s been a classic journey so far and the combat is turning out to be some of the most enjoyable in a JRPG. That said, Alfyn’s chapter 2 appears to be the farthest to travel to by some distance.

*I typed her name three times. Apple is bang out of order. Teressa. I said Teressa. Dammit! Teressa. Tressa. Thank you! Tressa. Right, so we’re finally agreed. Tim Cock. Good, I’m glad that one can stand uncontested.

• Upvote 1

Going classic name order. Got my OCTO team all up to level 11-12, and now doing Prim’s chapter 1. Looking forward to discovering the last three as not played any of them in either demo.

I picked Therion as my first character, pretty much randomly, but he's proved to be pretty decent as a main so far. Ophelia and Cyrus have quickly proven indispensable too, and the last slot gets switched around depending on who's story I'm following.

1 hour ago, DC LEMON said:

I think I need a guide for these side quests. Some of the NPCs could be a llittle more direct.

Yep, the Journal a least tracks them but some are very vague indeed.

Solutions mostly involve the Path actions but it was interesting that there are different ways of solving depending on your current party.

Early Apothecary side mission spoiler 

the unlucky fisherman quest can be resolved by either stealing the good bait from the cheating fisherman or by knocking him out

:)

I've collected all 8 characters and, after mopping up most of the side quests, went off to do Therions chapter 2.

I made the mistake of bringing the Hunter and Scholar, both of which were well under the suggested level (Therion was 20 I think). It was going quite well until the boss who was pretty much one shotting both the lowbies. I stuck with it though using well over 20 revive potions. It must of taken a good 30 minutes to finally down him! He had and insane amount of HP and I could only really do any significant damage with Therions Steal Heath/SP attacks. Everyone else was reviving and using heals. 

Didn't look at the other chapter 2's to see if they had a lower level requirement. So yeah, some grinding required and need to buy and/or steal some better gear!

I’ve only tried one Chapter 1 side quest, which was fighting some drunk bouncer at a tavern. My Olberic was level 14, and after fighting this drunk for 10 minutes doing 3000+ points of damage and using up way too many health items I gibbed it off. Didn’t spot a level requirement, but the drunk was harder than any Chapter 1 boss.

I have no idea how to do any of the other side quests I have stacked up, and the path or level requirements aren’t remotely obvious to me. Is there a guide somewhere?

Also just recruiting the last of the 8, but have nobody anywhere near L20 for the easiest Chapter 2. Got one at 15, a couple at 14, one at 13. Lots of grinding to come it seems. I tried a Danger Level 15 woodland area with this crew and got fucked over by everything I encountered. Fled every fight and got out of there, so clearly I’ll need to be overlevelled to stand a realistic chance.

That’s odd- I’ve still got two members to get, and my current party is three level 16s and level 9 for the latest member. I’ve hardly done any extra grinding either, just walking between the towns when I need to get to them for the first time, other than doing the necessary dungeons.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe you’ve been using Cyrus’ support skill for a while so that you’ve had fewer random battles?

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

I have no idea how to do any of the other side quests I have stacked up, and the path or level requirements aren’t remotely obvious to me. Is there a guide somewhere?

Whilst the Danger Level between screens is a general guide for character levels I've found the gear you have equipped to be more more important in dealing damage. You can get some really powerful items early on by using Therion's steal ability.

Also, each starting town has an challenging optional dungeon and a shrine where you can unlock the sub job nearby. The sub-jobs give characters a load more attack options which make shield breaks easier. :)

Not seen a single shrine or dungeon, but yes, I do use Cyrus’s passive to reduce random encounters, so that’s likely the reason I’m lower level, guess we all have to grind randoms sooner or later!

I think the best course of action after you get all 8 characters is to seek out the shrines so each get a subclass. The shrines seem to be on the way to the chapter 2 towns so opportunity to get xp to level up on the way there. I've found 3 so far. The chapter 2 towns will have far better loot to steal or buy and you are asked if you want to continue the story or just explore.

Edit: once you get in the general area of a shrine an icon appears on the minimap.

• Upvote 1

I'm 12 hours in and in absolutely in love with this. The already excellent combat in this gets even better once you start unlocking sub jobs at the shrines. I unlocked most of them between recruiting my last character and doing my first Chapter 2 and it's opened up options for me massively. Got Primrose as a Dancer/Cleric and her ability to generate SP on every turn means I'm basically healing for free. while Olberic and H'aanit can now attack with four different weapon types each which makes breaking enemies way easier. 

I'm 20+ hours in and haven't found any shrines yet. Do you have to do all eight Chapter 1s before shrines unlock or something? I've done Chapter 1 for six characters and a single Chapter 2 so far.

28 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I'm 20+ hours in and haven't found any shrines yet. Do you have to do all eight Chapter 1s before shrines unlock or something? I've done Chapter 1 for six characters and a single Chapter 2 so far.

I don't think you need to have all the characters before the shrines show up. Without being too specific, look around for a weird icon on the mini map in areas that lead to the chapter 2 cities. 

• Upvote 1