gospvg

Octopath Traveler - Square Enix's Octoposse

If anything can convince me to buy a new console it is RPG by Square Enix being developed by the team behind the Bravely games.

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Another yes from me, no confirmed release date though is there?

I Am Setsuna will keep me entertained until then I suppose.

They showed gameplay so hopefully 2017 but I expect 2018.

On 13/01/2017 at 12:08, RubberJohnny said:

Bravely Default, Threatrhythm, 358/2 Days...

And today I just realise for the first time it's Threatrhythm and not Theatrerhythm.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Will we get any more news on this at the Nintendo Direct?

Probably not. It's only 25 mins long and will likely focus on first-party stuff. We might get the briefest of snippets but I'd be surprised if it was anything more than that.

I've spent some more time with the demo, 3 hours or so in total. Think I preferred Olberics story although they were both good. After defeating the boss with Prim I went exploring and ended up in Olberics town and managed to recruit him and therefore played on with the 2 characters along side each other. Went back to the sand town and finished the shopkeepers side quest. There is one quest I can't seem to complete: there is a guy in sandy town looking for a singer. Farmed both characters to level 10 and dressed them up in the best clothes I could buy, for no particular reason.

I'm really impressed with the demo and eagerly awaiting a release date. 

• Upvote 2

Playing the demo now and I wasn't expecting it to be this good at all! The soundtrack is utterly fantastic - very atmospheric - and so is the voice acting. The writing seems like it's dealing with some rather mature themes which I wasn't expecting either. The last time I played a JRPG which wasn't a total shonen anime snorefest was back during the 360 era with Lost Odyssey. This is also the first time I've been able to fully appreciate the HD Rumble which I previously had written off as nonsense to be honest.

Only 20 mins in but so far I'm very impressed and I wish it had a release date so I could pre-order the fuck out of the limited edition. 

• Upvote 3

Well I really liked the demo and all, but those little vocal snippets that say something ranging from slightly-to-completely different to the text are an awful idea. Had to change the settings.

I assume it's still doing the same but I don't understand a word of Japanese, so it's less distracting.

48 minutes ago, VN1X said:

How do you defeat Helgenish? :lol:

Break him with multiple dagger attacks (R button), then use the single target darkness spell to do high damage. At the start of the fight just boost the aoe darkness spell to kill the guards quickly. Potion when you're down to <70 ish health. Also, there's a 5 strength villager with Baleful Blade that's a decent summon. Might be someone better but I didn't look too hard.

A 3 or 4 boosted strength single target darkness spell will do 1k+ so its a short fight with that. 

• Upvote 1

Well I’ve just finished one part of the Project Octopath Traveller demo, and I really enjoyed it.

You can definitely tell in the battle system that it’s the same team as Bravely Default, which is definitely no bad thing.

It chucks you in with no explanation (I played Primrose’s story) so I hit a bit where I struggled before I figured out exactly what was happening in the battles.  But once I understood it makes perfect sense.  The story elements seem well-told so far too and I did find myself caring about the world.  So, day one for me then!

This looks to be a day one purchase for me. I found the demo really engaging - didn’t understand the concept of breaks initially, but once the penny dropped i suddenly realised what an intelligent and rewarding battle system it has, looking forward to see how it scales up in terms of challenge and abilities. 

Found the english voice voice overs to be a bit grating but solved by switching to Japanese. Thematically, the fact that it isn’t tweeny, cliched fare is a positive. Nice to see a JRPG aimed at an older audience. 

Further evidenced by the nostalgic, 16-bit how you remember it, not how it was, visuals. It’s clearly aimed at an audience who were raised on Final Fantasy VI, and certainly nothing wrong with that. 

Ive got a very long flight coming up in a couple of weeks, too bad this won’t be out by then. Is Bravely Default worth checking out?

Edit - have just found out it’s a 3DS title, never mind!

• Upvote 2