Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

People are strange. A week ago Mario vs Rabbids was an insult to humanity, now it's amazing. 

But yeah Mario looks amazing, and it's out in five months time. How polished and feature complete that game will be by then.

I agree with a lot of the comments about the art direction.  It seems off in places and just... all over the place.   The game mechanics look ace and I have no doubt it'll be a brilliant game.   I just don't find it as visually appealing as the World or Galaxy games.

I hope the song is in the game.

Odyssey looks like dropping a tab of LSD and then literally jumping down the throat of a frog. The juxtaposition of New Donk City (I mean that name) and real people with Mario and friends just adds to the craziness, and is kind of mocking of the ultra realism, yet utter conservatism of Grand Theft Auto. It's not as if they're trying to blend the two together, that culture clash is by design.

Bloody marvellous 

I was a bit worried that this would be a bit too much Mario 64 but it looks like a really nice blend of that and more focused, Mario 3D World bits.

I think the different environments are slghtly odd - New Donk City is never going to look as good as stuff from Mario 3D World but some of the other levels look great.

Basically, I want a Mario 3D World port on Switch as well.

2 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

The city level seems to be a pastiche of the videogame cities we see in most games these days rather than an attempt to render a realistic city, if that makes any sense. 

Yeah agree entirely.

FFS Nintendo, just when I go and make peace with not getting a Switch*, accept that I will remain a one console man, you go and do this. You give us this utterly mental, glorious slice of amazing looking platforming absurdity. I hate you Nintendo, I love you so much.

*I'll just tell the missus I won one in a raffle and hide the receipt.

My wife said "you'd think the graphics would be better these days", which is pretty damning considering she barely knows what "graphics" are.

On the other hand, I think it looks brilliant.

The New Donk City bits might be like that bit in the Simpsons where Homer goes into our real world. Perhaps it's a representation of our earth as opposed to the earth he comes from?

Something has to explain why it looks so crummy compared to the beauty of the rest of the game! 

3 minutes ago, Moz said:

My wife said "you'd think the graphics would be better these days", which is pretty damning considering she barely knows what "graphics" are.

Tell her graphics don't matter. It's all about the confidence of the art style. Even something like CoD can fall victim to this (compare BO3 to IW's multiplayer to see what a huge difference this makes).

VN1X, schooling wives since 1987.

I urge people to look a little closer. Look at how Mario traverses skyscrapers, and check out the city vistas from up on high. Watch how Mario chucks his hat on the head of a bland looking pedestrian. Then he's driving around on a vespa or highwire walking between buildings. Imagine what it will be like to actually play. 

1 minute ago, sir shrew said:

After spending 30 years in the Mushroom Kingdom, it would've been fun to explore the world Mario came from, lots of characters in his style would've been charming. Instead it looks like Sonic Adventure.

Does Mario come from any one world? He's borne out of the imagination of Miyamoto and there's always been an Alice Through The Looking Glass approach to the games - disappearing down pipes, jumping into paintings etc.

The day Nintendo try to provide an actual coherent story line with Mario is the day it dies.

12 minutes ago, Moz said:

This reads like one of those didn't actually happen things. 

15 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

After spending 30 years in the Mushroom Kingdom, it would've been fun to explore the world Mario came from, lots of characters in his style would've been charming. Instead it looks like Sonic Adventure.

Sorry for crushing your dreams but the mushroom kingdom was just an excuse to make the art of a game.

Nintendo is not into making worlds but into designing gameplay  and dress it accordingly.

I'm happy with Nintendo moving away from primary colours as long as it plays like a Nintendo game.

5 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

This post makes no sense. The gameplay doesn't force them down any visual route, they can dress it however they choose.

I think the point was that there isn't any set in stone lore or story cannon to draw from when inventing Mario games. It's deliberately vague and fantastical so that they can play fast and loose with whatever they choose to do with him. 

I like how people are praising what is essentially (when you watch the gameplay session) Banjo-Mariooie.

Certainly a good thing, but won't be 64/Sunshine style from what we've seen so far either.

I'm sure it'll get bashed for being a retro 90's collect-o-thon, right? right? Oh right, it's Nintendo.

It is fantastical though, it's just meshing a lot of different styles, particularly in New Donk City itself but then also in the switch from 3D to 2D pixel form and so on. I think the city is quite deliberately poking fun at other open world games, like GTA. Specifically GTA.

Just now, sir shrew said:

Odds on them doing a double whammy Kong homage - with Donkey Kong carrying Pauline up a Skyscraper and throwing barrels at you for one of the boss battles?

Missed opportunity of the century if they don't.

6 minutes ago, NEG said:

I like how people are praising what is essentially (when you watch the gameplay session) Banjo-Mariooie.

Certainly a good thing, but won't be 64/Sunshine style from what we've seen so far either.

I'm sure it'll get bashed for being a retro 90's collect-o-thon, right? right? Oh right, it's Nintendo.

First of all Banjo took its main inspiration from Mario 64. There's never been anything in a Rare platformer that's directly influenced Mario.

As for it being a retro 90s game or a collectathon, you haven't been watching it properly. There was nothing on this scale back then. 

I mean call it an 80s collectathon if you want to appear really ignorant.

My issue isn't so much that Mario clashes with the city, it's that I think the city looks ugly. It's grey and boxy and looks like a city from an open world game from 2007. The building textures are horrible. By going for a realistic style they're exposing the limitations of the hardware they're working on in a way that they normally avoid. 

17 minutes ago, NEG said:

If you're referring to Yooka-Laylee, the issue is that it's just not a very good game. I've played a large chunk of it and while I think Sterling's review was hyperbolic, there are all sorts of problems with the game, most damningly with the aimless and directionless level design, that Nintendo will be sure to avoid.