Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

First Man - Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong

Universal has Ryan Gosling playing Neil Armstrong in a biopic based on the book "First Man: A Life Of Neil A. Armstrong". Gosling was first choice while the script was being written and they got their man. It's being directed by Damien Chazelle, who has directed Gosling in La La Land, which is apparently going down well. Script is by Josh Singer, who won an Oscar for Spotlight.

The book it's based on focuses on Armstrong between 1961 and 1969, from Navy pilot to Apollo 11.

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure the trailer is how it should be. Seems a bit too dramatic in a bombastic way. I don't expect the actual movie to be like that. At least, I hope not.

• Upvote 1

There's enough drama in Armstrong's life that I hope they don't add needless character tension.  Apollo 13, From Earth to the Moon, The Right Stuff all kept on the right side of that line (that I'd have trouble defining properly).  

7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I don't understand the timing of this. Why not release it next year to coincide with the 50th anniversary? 

I guess releasing it in summer wouldn’t be the best idea ever? The end of the year is just right for a film like this, and gets it in the 2019 oscars. Also might get a nice boost on Blu-Ray and TV around the time of the anniversary.

I enjoyed that. It's long, yet the ending seemed to come quick. And the whole stupid right-wing flag controversy seems even more stupid after seeing it.

Spoiler

I did find it a little hard building up to Apollo 1, knowing what was about to happen :(

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I don't understand the timing of this. Why not release it next year to coincide with the 50th anniversary? 

The 2018 edition of the book has the film down for 2019, so I think that was originally the plan. Not sure why it changed.

This is absolutely tremendous. It explores the negative space of the book, so to speak - the internal lives of Armstrong and his family - but the effect is the same: the Space Race as an insanely risky, implausibly heroic endeavour, and Armstrong as the supernaturally good hearted but private hero at the centre. The moon landing sequence itself was staggering.

• Upvote 1

'twas fantastic. Interesting how they shot it. So many super-close-up shots, it made the wider (like the take off, and space) shots really stand out. Fucking brilliant. Gosling was superb. 

• Upvote 3

Just back from seeing it at  imax. Really enjoyed it . It brilliantly conveys the utter violence of space travel and the feeling of just about in control ( and out of control). It capture the creaks and bangs and prototype feel of the space craft . I thought gosling was superb as Armstrong . Some of the other well known characters from the Apollo program are completely absent , in as much as they are anonymous , but that’s ok , this film is about Armstrong .

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

And the whole stupid right-wing flag controversy seems even more stupid after seeing it.

Erm what? Is it possible to explain without spoilers?

3 hours ago, Capwn said:

Erm what? Is it possible to explain without spoilers?

People getting upset that it didn't show the moment the flag was stuck in the ground.

Which by the way was exactly the right decision for the film . It wasn’t America’s story , it’s was Armstrong’s story . I’ve no doubt Armstrong was a patriotic chap but to show the planting of the flag as some crescendo moment would have completely ruined that superb  “moment “ he did have on the film ( however dramatised that may be )

I haven't seen the film yet, but if they wanted to show a realistic depiction of the flag moment it would have been 5 minutes of Neil and Buzz struggling to actually erect the thing.  It wasn't the moment of American exceptionism those outraged by it's absence think.

Exactly, even the book didn't think it was exactly the mission's proudest moment. And the darn thing fell over when they took off again.

Saw this last night, and really didn't think much of it at all. 

For a story of one of mans greatest accomplishments, it just dragged on and on and on, and produced a thoroughly unentertaining two hour film with no real excitement or humour. It was just so dull. Ryan Gosling was monosyllabic throughout most of it, I actually nodded off for a bit when they landed on the moon.

I appreciate that a lot of people liked it on here, but nah - not for me.

I can only think you wandered into the wrong screen. Caught it this evening, after a toss up against Bad Times, and it was extraordinary. Genuinely one of the most finely crafted films I've ever seen, especially considering it was the equivalent of making a prequel to a well established franchise, with all the challenges that entails. The tension it conjures in some of the scenes defies all logic and the sense of immersion in their struggles, triumphs and sheer bloody mindedness was absolute. Really needs to be seen at the cinema; the sound design is incredible.

Chazelle is pulling out a masterpiece every other film so far.

• Upvote 2

On 12/10/2018 at 15:26, Chadruharazzeb said:

Cinema release in the Oscar season, DVD release for the anniversary

• Upvote 1

Liked it, but then Chazelle doing a movie about Gemini and Apollo was always going to appeal. Little sad that we didn’t manage to sort our calendars out to see it at the BFI IMAX.

perhaps a little long, though I’m not sure what I’d cut.

wife also nodded off briefly on the moon. I wonder whether it was just the sudden silence.

On 13/10/2018 at 10:22, Paul3704 said:

Saw this last night, and really didn't think much of it at all. 

For a story of one of mans greatest accomplishments, it just dragged on and on and on, and produced a thoroughly unentertaining two hour film with no real excitement or humour. It was just so dull. Ryan Gosling was monosyllabic throughout most of it, I actually nodded off for a bit when they landed on the moon.

I appreciate that a lot of people liked it on here, but nah - not for me.

This is kind of the idea though isn't it?

For me it works as a study of a man so damaged by grief that he doesn't understand the point of anything around him. He's distant from his children, he can't talk to his wife, the only people he

can make any kind of connection with end up dying, he just can't process emotion. 

So he may come across as monosyllabic but that's because Armstrong kind of was, certainly this stories Armstrong. 

So a lot of the stuff set on earth may seem slow or boring but that's to lead us into the sheer bloody drama of ACTUALLY BEING IN SPACE. Apollo 13 this isn't, it's a film about masculinity and dealing with grief, along with the toll of all this on Armstrong's family, more than it is a big space epic. 

I don't know how well I've explained it there but I thought it was brilliant. I came out of it thinking it was maybe a little slow, and potentially had one too many spacey scenes with Gosling looking shit scared, but it's really stayed with me I can't stop thinking about it and it may overtake Blackkklansman as my movie of the year. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, footle said:

Liked it, but then Chazelle doing a movie about Gemini and Apollo was always going to appeal. Little sad that we didn’t manage to sort our calendars out to see it at the BFI IMAX.

In the IMDB trivia it says the below. Is this wrong and they are showing it in proper IMAX, or its just being blown up.

The lunar sequence was shot on 70mm IMAX cameras and would have expanded aspect ratio during select sequences exclusively in IMAX theaters before Universal decided not to make any 70mm IMAX prints for distribution.

I think you’d still get the benefit of it on a big screen like IMAX even with a normal print. The contrast between the grainier footage used for most of the movie, and the super-crisp large format scenes in the vacuum is tangible. My local picture house’s screen is big but I wonder what it would’ve looked like even bigger.

12 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I don't know how well I've explained it there but I thought it was brilliant. I came out of it thinking it was maybe a little slow, and potentially had one too many spacey scenes with Gosling looking shit scared, but it's really stayed with me I can't stop thinking about it and it may overtake Blackkklansman as my movie of the year. 

All of this, except replace Blackkklansman with Leave No Trace. 

My dad walked out of this halfway through, saying he found the frequent use of handheld camera 'distracting', and later asked me why it was necessary to be so shaky and out of focus for the domestic scenes (by contrast, he appreciated how it lent a sense of urgency to the space sequences). I know handheld cameras are often used to communicate a sense of intimacy, but I wondered if there was something more to it here, that it was about reflecting Armstrong's comparative unease on terra firma. Tellingly, the image is noticeably stiller during the moments when he deliberately isolates himself, like when he's staring up at the moon, or standing in a room on his own (and then obviously at the end). That's probably a load of nonsense, but that was my reading of it. Either way, Dad didn't buy it. His loss.  

Saw this in a double bill with A Star Is Born today, and this is definitely the film which really stood out between the two. Loved the momentum of it. It starts very slow, but I found myself really being drawn In as the film progressed. It's superbly made, and no one does brooding stillness quite like Gosling.

On 14/10/2018 at 00:19, hmm said:

I can only think you wandered into the wrong screen. Caught it this evening, after a toss up against Bad Times, and it was extraordinary. Genuinely one of the most finely crafted films I've ever seen, especially considering it was the equivalent of making a prequel to a well established franchise, with all the challenges that entails. The tension it conjures in some of the scenes defies all logic and the sense of immersion in their struggles, triumphs and sheer bloody mindedness was absolute. Really needs to be seen at the cinema; the sound design is incredible.

Chazelle is pulling out a masterpiece every other film so far.

Completely agree with this. Brilliant film. I'm not a Ryan Gosling fan but thought he was perfect here, as was Claire Foy. The close framing made it very personal, and created a real sense of being inside the craft during the rocket/space scenes. It didn't feel too long to me, in fact I could have done with a little more of the actual landing on the moon scenes. The moon landing sequence owed a debt to 2001.