Jump to content
rllmuk
NEG

Sonic The Hedgehog (Live Action) Nov 2019

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yeah the idea of 'fixing' the character at this point is absurd. You could you spend crazy time/effort/money into redoing the model and rendering all the bits with Sonic again but the reality is that it would really screw up the interactions between sonic and the environment/humans etc.

 

Thing is, even if by magic it all just worked and Sonic looked EXACTLY like how we wanted. It's clearly still a 'bad' movie. People are not suddenly going to want to go and see it because Sonic looks correct. I think if ANYTHING, fixing Sonic would drive away the huge potential audience of people who were getting excited about watching the trainwreck. Just let it be, it's clearly getting people talking.

 

 

 

  Hide contents

Perhaps they NAILED the design all along and have rendered it out but some genius marketing prodigy was like 'Lets make a AWFUL looking Sonic, we just need to do a few scenes and release it as a trailer. Get people talking about it, let it become a meme. Then we say we're going to fix it and later show the proper footage!"

 

 

The New Coke method? Clever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as it would explain the movie's weirdly high budget, I can't believe that the producers who signed off on that dialogue are also cunning marketing geniuses with an outrageous ploy to build goodwill for their character design. I don't think you need to invoke some sort of conspiracy theory when the simple explanation that they are idiots is lying right there in front of you and is much more consistent with the results.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly, it’s not really all that bad.  For a live action movie about a talking fucking blue hedgehog. 

 

People are just total wankers. 

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it, there’s probably a quarter of a billion worth of deals for sequels, CGI kids’ shows, merchandise and games riding on Man-ic the Hedgehog and if the design flops that’ll be lost.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They obviously put this out to test audiences who didn’t think it grotesque. This is fundamentally a YouTube/internet publicity-whore made furore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most genuinely terrible movies have been past a test audience, you can’t read too much in to that.

 

The talk about the movie online has been “how weird is this hedgehog going to look” for months, so it’s a PR failure whatever way you slice it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Droo said:

They obviously put this out to test audiences who didn’t think it grotesque. This is fundamentally a YouTube/internet publicity-whore made furore. 

 

giphy.gif

"a whaaat?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harsin said:

I can’t believe this ‘Maybe they actually made a film with a CGI Sonic all along' conspiracy theory seems to be gaining traction all across the internet.

 

So let me get this straight, people think that they designed a crappy looking CGI character on purpose, going to the extent of using silhouettes of that design at trade merchandise events and even putting out fake leaks that described the design. Then released various promotional materials with the design and eventually a trailer, laughing to themselves that it deliberately contained an awful looking Sonic that they knew everyone would hate. At the same time they secretly made a movie and signed merchandise deals with a much better Sonic design, all the while avoiding even one leak about it. All this so they could garner a shitload of bad publicity and then maybe get a little bit of slightly better publicity by later releasing images of a design that’s better and the first step in this complex master plan is the director making a panicked sounding tweet. Also this expensive conspiracy to generate bad publicity and make everyone involved look like incompetent dolts then maybe undo it a bit, instead of just releasing something people respond positively to in the first place, was approved by various execs at Paramount Pictures 

 

Stanley Kubrick filming the moon landing was more plausible than this.

 

th.jpg.08baec030a52ee87eb18fc095e92a550.jpg

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole debacle reminds me of the classic This Is Spinal Tap line "You should have seen the cover they wanted to do". If this Sonic was the one that was the final version, goodness knows what other designs they had drafted out. I hope that one day a terrifying Director's Cut surfaces that gives children everywhere nightmares.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they can redo a whole movie to take Kevin Spacey out, I'm sure they can slap in new Sonic CGI.

 

Anyway, in target demographic news, I showed the trailer to my 8 year old and he would quite like to see it (even with creepy sonic). Distinctly lukewarm though considering he has been raving about Detective Pikachu for about a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

If they can redo a whole movie to take Kevin Spacey out, I'm sure they can slap in new Sonic CGI.

 

Dunno if you've seen All The Money In The World but Spacey's character is not in it that much.

 

Not convinced they'll change anything, they've decided on this realistic monstrosity and they might think; what do we do exactly to alter the design? Just go with the Sonic look of the newer 3d games? Change his body proportion? Alter his eyes? Take away his teeth?

 

With Spacey it was more clear cut, just swap with the original actor intended for the role, Plummer (who was familiar with the role and experienced enough to not need weeks of preparation) and shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt they’re going to adjust the proportions and re-rig the whole model, that would be an absolute nightmare. I reckon it’ll be more superficial changes like bigger cartoon eyes and skinnier limbs.

 

Weirdly enough the director himself is a former animator with barely any credits, bar an Oscar nominated short. Based on the quotes I suspect he may have been projecting his own opinions on what the ‘correct’ character design should be onto the project.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Harsin said:

I can’t believe this ‘Maybe they actually made a film with a CGI Sonic all along' conspiracy theory seems to be gaining traction all across the internet.

 

So let me get this straight, people think that they designed a crappy looking CGI character on purpose, going to the extent of using silhouettes of that design at trade merchandise events and even putting out fake leaks that described the design. Then released various promotional materials with the design and eventually a trailer, laughing to themselves that it deliberately contained an awful looking Sonic that they knew everyone would hate. At the same time they secretly made a movie and signed merchandise deals with a much better Sonic design, all the while avoiding even one leak about it. All this so they could garner a shitload of bad publicity and then maybe get a little bit of slightly better publicity by later releasing images of a design that’s better and the first step in this complex master plan is the director making a panicked sounding tweet. Also this expensive conspiracy to generate bad publicity and make everyone involved look like incompetent dolts then maybe undo it a bit, instead of just releasing something people respond positively to in the first place, was approved by various execs at Paramount Pictures 

 

Stanley Kubrick filming the moon landing was more plausible than this.

As ridiculous as that sounds, it still seems more feasible than anybody actually thinking that the Sonic they went with was a good idea.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

 I'm sure they can slap in new Sonic CGI

 

Sure they can. But it’s a lot of people not seeing their families over the next few months to do it. 

 

 

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drmick said:

Surely the toys are already made? They usually need 18-24 months head start.

 

Huh, now that you mention it, toys, t-shirts... can't wait for that trash to start showing up in bargain shops.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I've done an extensive Google image search of Sonic the hedgehog. Until today I don't think I truly appreciated that he has flesh arms, mouth, belly and legs. And maybe hands and feet too.

 

So I have some sympathy with the producers there on which of those to un-flesh and turn into either blue fur or white fur.

 

But the proportions! These have been pretty constant between two different aesthetics:16-bit era and 32-bit era. Why would they mess with that?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.