A great gaming track a day

NiGHTS into Dreams – Gloom of the NHC (Mystic Forest Stage) - Sega Saturn

I really do adore the NiGHTS soundtrack, and the message of the game feels like a deep-seated part of me. Sonic Team at their peak IMO.

Ganbare Goemon: Sarawareta Ebisumaru! / Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 

Stage 8 (Michinoku) (Shinji Tasaka, Yoshiyuki Hagiwara, Akihiro Juichiya)

The first Goemon game for the Game Boy has some tremendous music, and perhaps it has one of the best soundtracks in the whole series. I’m always amazed at what composers could do with the Game Boy hardware. The level where you hear this is a bastard-hard jumping challenge, so you end up listening to the tune about 30 million times, but I don’t mind. It’s a relatively simple composition (with a standard AABA pattern and a bridge over a minor key) which never fails to make me smile.

Cuarto (Sharp X68000) - Track 6 - Composer Junko Yamada

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this music quite fits in with ....

Spoiler

a shmup! It's very out of place. Here it is in action below!

This piece reminds me so much of my early music lessons and learning to play the electronic organ in the early 80's, very similar to the style of some of the pieces I was taught to play by my teacher. All I'd need is a latin rhythm maybe, Hammond + Leslie combo for the left hand accompaniment (just a series of suspended chords). I don't have access to an electronic organ any more, but I somehow feel compelled to recreate this! It's strangely soothing & hypnotic. Very simple melody and a basic chord progression .... 10 minutes on the piano tomorrow evening & I'll have it perfected and annoying the neighbours with it! Not relevant to anyone here really, more of a train of thought as I was prepping the Youtube link!

Sion II (Sharp X68000) - Legend (track 1) - Composers Noriyuki Shindou, Tetushi Takahashi & Zenji Nishikawa

(The 1st track is the indended post, but the whole soundtrack is fantastic, well worth listening to all 30 minutes of it if you have the time.)

Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - Main Theme - Composer Nobuo Uematsu

(In the spoiler is a performance on piano by Tifa herself!)

Spoiler

Well, not quite Tifa! Performed by YiRu Lin (Ru's Piano). I have previously threatened cosplay musicians but hadn't followed through ..... until now!

This interpretation is based on the remake. I like the sound of this piano, it seems very rich and has a broad depth of tone at the bass end. Overall, it's a nice warm sound ..... meloncholy even, which I think suits this piece. I've been fortunate enough to play some very nice pianos (Steinway, Bosendorfer, Bechstein) but I have never played a Shigeru branded Kawai piano before (the high end of Kawai's line). Having heard this piano I'm intrigued to try one out for myself, the problem will be finding one!