Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2

I imagine Nintendo have a fair amount of crunch times in their products. As I understand it, Japanese work culture is heavily geared towards long hours and unpaid overtime but it's more heavily ingrained in all industries over there.

Nintendo's a Japanese company, a country where overwork is such an endemic problem that it has its own name, Karōshi, literally overwork death, so it would be surprising if they were massively out of step with the rest of Japanese corporate culture.

They probably aren't as bad as some other Japanese developers, given that they have way more money and can take their time a bit more, but it'd be interesting to see how they compare to the supposed best Western developers in terms of employee treatment.

3 hours ago, K said:

Nintendo's touchy-feely, tree-hugging approach is all well and good if you happy to accept games of the quality that Nintendo put out, but if you really care about the medium and want to hit the heights of the likes of EA, then I'm afraid you'll have to put up with a few nervous breakdowns and families who are clinically sad.

Reggie specifically said he could only talk about NOA. Japanese dev is notoriously overworked and underpaid, even by Western standards. I thought they did no first party dev in the US and I fear your free range Nintendo games may in fact be just as battery farmed as EA's (and indeed probably every other AAA title that has ever existed).

Reading some of those links that Harsin posted, and other bits on gamesindustry.biz, it's nice that some companies seem to be making some progress but ultimately improving this is really hard; it's not purely down to psychopaths like the Housers cracking the whip and watching the bottom line. I wouldn't be particularly optimistic that if I ever return to the games industry it will be very different from the one I left.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

Who oddly enough have exactly the same glassdoor rating as Rockstar Games... :unsure:

Have you read the reviews? Half of the reviews under 'Nintendo' on Glassdoor are for roles like janitor, security officer and retail merchandiser. You probably won't get any real insight into work conditions at NOJ on Glassdoor.

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Who'd have thought actually treating employees well might actually lead to a better product where you can feel the love in it. (Nintendo)

To be fair Rockstar products aren't exactly lacking in excellence. 

• Upvote 1

This thread is hilarious. A real good Vs evil tale for the ages!

I only hope rllmuk can keep it going cos the entertainment should make the wait go a bit quicker at least.

• Empathy 1

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Once the game is released to a fanfare of 10/10 reviews this news will be tomorrow's chip wrappers.

Including Edge. I'm calling it.

• Empathy 1

Just now, Mr Do 71 said:

Including Edge. I'm calling it.

If it actually does all the stuff I've read about, and there's no reason to believe it won't, then it's 10's all round I reckon, best game since BOTW. 

• Upvote 1

It's like Amazon. Or Apple by way of Foxcon. 

Everyone complains about how they treat their staff (and rightly so). But everyone still uses them. Amazon are just so convenient. And you need the latest smart phone. 

And I'm not excluding myself from this. I've already paid for RDR and it was after that 100 hour week story was doing the rounds. 

Developers should unionize. The industry isn't gonna look after them. And gamers care, but not enough to actually do anything. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

To each his own. It's put me off buying it. If I'm honest, I was only really interested in getting it to show off the One X, but the horror stories of Rockstar means I'll find something else instead to play. It's not like there's nothing else coming out.

You have to go with what your heart tells you. I think those comments were extremely ill advised but I'd also like to think they were well meant, that everyone was extremely dedicated and that it's been a labour of love, that they've made the best game they can with no expense spared. Perhaps I'm just naive, but I also do genuinely hope that no one has suffered unnecessarily during its development, and that the pay off is worth it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

To each his own. It's put me off buying it. If I'm honest, I was only really interested in getting it to show off the One X, but the horror stories of Rockstar means I'll find something else instead to play. It's not like there's nothing else coming out.

So all the poor sods doing 100 hour weeks won't even get their sales related bonus now? You MONSTER!

14 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

But you just love your Apple iPhone. ;)

Those people who worked 100 hours a week and are already upset about it are going to be livid when people don’t buy the game after all their hard work.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Those people who worked 100 hours a week and are already upset about it are going to be livid when people don’t buy the game after all their hard work.

Rockstar fired all the original developers of RDR & are probably lining up these developers, I bet they’ve got other things on their mind rather than a few lost sales.

Rockstar are fucking revolting, but we’ve known that for awhile.

• Upvote 1

Being serious, I don’t know enough about rockstars internal workings (though apparently Rllmuk does?), but from what Houser said it wasn’t the entire company doing 100 hour weeks and, of those that do, they don’t seem to be unique.

Rockstar are widely regarded, both within the industry and outside, as the very worst when it comes to how they treat staff.

A lot of this came out back around the release of the original RDR with the whole Rockstar Spouse thing and you don't need to look far to read first hand accounts of ex-Rockstar staff who won't have anything positive to say about their time there.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Zael said:

I fucking hate this. Workers are being exploited but as long as the gamers get their 10/10 then it'll all be forgotten. Makes me sick. 

Don't buy the game then, vote with your wallet, mount a protest against R* if you really care so much about it. 

Have any R* employees even commented on this whole thing? 

• Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, Zael said:

I fucking hate this. Workers are being exploited but as long as the gamers get their 10/10 then it'll all be forgotten. Makes me sick. 

Workers are exploited whether they work 70 hours a week or 37.5. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1