Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

When you're introduced to the stable system for the first time I bought the horse that looked the most badass and so proud of my new steed until I started going around and quickly realised that it was only slightly bigger than a Shetland pony, felt like I was in a Smart Car surrounded by Land Rovers. Luckily once I started making some spending money I put him in a stable and now I roam the county on Slippery Wilf who's a beast of a horse but still shits it whenever a bird flies nearby.

• Upvote 1

Absolute scenes last night.

Chapter 4 talk within

Spoiler

Took Arthur into St Denis and spent some time with Mary. Went to the theatre but bailed after the 2nd act. Is the ending the same if you sit through the whole performance?

After waving her off I went and customised my new Volcanic pistols - pearl grips, blackened steel body, nickel triggers and firing pins and Gothic siver engraving, gun fans - before spotting an available side quest for the Monk I'd previously helped out. 

Chatting with him and a Nun turns into a 'Chase a kid' mission, as the little dick had robbed the Nun of her mother's crucifix. I hate these missions, as Arthur turns like a tank on foot and if I give chase on my horse I'm all but certain to trample someone to death by accident. I manage however to catch him without too much trouble but as I turn to go back to the Nun I meet Mrs Downes, who iirc is the widow of the guy who I beat up for one of the debt collecting missions back in Chapter 2. She was selling herself on the street. :-(

Man, I felt like shit and she was scared of me - this was all a cutscence btw - and ran off, screaming for someone to help. Suddenly I'm wanted by the police and have to try and stealth back to the Nun. Of course, I fuck it up and end up running into the swamps outside of town trying to lose them. I don't want a mega bounty at this point so ignore all the guys on foot - well, I tackle one and beat him but don't kill him. The ones on horseback I fell by shooting the horses instead. 

At one point I'm swimming under a railway bridge, chomping cocaine gum to keep from drowning. The cops spot me through the bridge though and give chase. Fools. A train comes 10 seconds later and splats three of them. My bounty jumps up to $35 dollars. FFS. I squat in an abandoned, overgrown shack and start to wait them out. They're searching a ways off but not coming closer. Wait, is that a 3 star boar? I need one more pelt to upgrade John's lodgings....should I wait? Yes. Do I? No. 

My rifle shot gets me a perfect pelt but I can't collect it because suddenly the cops are swarming me.  I leap out the window as wood splinters all around me and run, crouched, into a nearby tobacco field. Bullets are whizzing in all directions and I'm out of deadeye. I spot a cart up ahead. I'll duck behind it, chew some tobacco and pop up and clear these guys out. And that would have worked too had a lawman not step out form behind it and blow me out my boots with his double barrel shotgun, at point blank range. Oh, Arthur. You should have got on that tram.

• Upvote 2

Rockstar should have definitely killed off your horse in a mission (not a spoiler, I'm making an assumption here). It'd be the most hard hitting videogame death since Sephiroth stabbed Aerith, since you'd have spent time building up it's stats. People might be a bit butthurt though.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've tamed that white horse by the lake, although it was bloody hard work. I ended up stabling it, because I couldn't get over how small it was. Arthur's insecure.

Did you find the message in the cabin? Any idea what it meant?

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Did you find the message in the cabin? Any idea what it meant?

Those messages that you find hidden in drawers about the place are cheat codes. Pressing triangle on the settings screen enables you to enter them and switch them on and off.

That white Arabian horse is the one that saw me through to the end of the game too. She’s a beauty.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Over by the shore I spotted a pure white horse, which looked like a ghost rearing up on its back legs as the snow poured down. I wondered whether it had something to do with the message in the drawer, like it was the perfect reincarnation of the person who lived there or something. I pulled out my binoculars and had a look and it was an Arabian with amazing stats. I jumped off my horse and approached it, but it kept scarpering off and a message popped up saying I needed to calm it. I couldn't get close though, so I jumped back on my horse, chased it down and lassoed it. Spent a couple of minutes breaking it in with it trying to buck me off, it eventually calmed and I had myself a shiny new horse.

I swapped saddles and set off back to Valentine with my old nag in tow, so I could flog her.

Then I galloped straight off a cliff and killed both myself and the horse.

One of the best horses in the game that, I was gutted when my Horsey got shot dead. I was starting on my way back to see if a Horsey II had spawned but stopped to help a citizen in need of help, looked like his horse had a shoe problem or something. Said horse then kicked him to death, which instantly enamoured me. Plus it's stats were almost as good as Horsey's - the best I'd seen in ages - so fuck trekking all the way back up there again. 

2 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Those messages that you find hidden in drawers about the place are cheat codes. There’s an option somewhere in the settings that enables you to enter them and switch them on and off.

WHAT!

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

Talking of horses, I was up in the North West region by Lake Isabella last night just having a nosey around and came across a derelict cabin. The only thing that I could loot was a side table, but all that contained was a note scratched into the base of the drawer saying 'You'll flourish before you die.' No idea what it meant, so I went back out and started heading around the lake.

Over by the shore I spotted a pure white horse, which looked like a ghost, rearing up on its back legs as the snow poured down. I wondered whether it had something to do with the message in the drawer, like it was the perfect reincarnation of the person who lived there or something. I pulled out my binoculars and it was an Arabian with amazing stats. I jumped off my horse and approached it, but it kept scarpering off and a message popped up saying I needed to calm it. I couldn't get close though, so I jumped back on my horse, chased it down and lassoed it. Spent a couple of minutes breaking it in with it trying to buck me off, but it eventually calmed and I had myself a shiny new horse.

I swapped saddles and set off back to Valentine with my old nag in tow, so I could flog her.

Then I galloped straight off a cliff and killed both myself and the horse.

Oh man, that white Arabian is the best horse in the game. :(

According to one youtube vid I watched.

My horse isn't the best, stat-wise but I'm too attached to give her up. I've a secondary horse that I saved after her owners blew themselves up with dynamite but she's a Shire horse and I think they look ridiculous so I only take her out when I'm pelt hunting and need the extra room.

42 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Those messages that you find hidden in drawers about the place are cheat codes. Pressing triangle on the settings screen enables you to enter them and switch them on and off.

What?!? 

Minblown. My kids are gonna love that.

8 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

My horse isn't the best, stat-wise but I'm too attached to give her up. I've a secondary horse that I saved after her owners blew themselves up with dynamite but she's a Shire horse and I think they look ridiculous so I only take her out when I'm pelt hunting and need the extra room.

WHAT?!?!

I named my horse after my daughter and I can’t part with her now. We braided her hair to match and the colour.

It’s a shame because it’s not that good.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Baring said:

I named my horse after my daughter and I can’t part with her now. We braided her hair to match and the colour.

It’s a shame because it’s not that good.

Haha, exactly what I did. Been in the stable ever since as couldn't bear anything to happen to her. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Is there anything cool to find on the islands across the lake from your camp in chapter 3? Apart from

the pirate rum.

Finished the main story last night, and the final moments were really quite moving. What an experience

Weird change of pace now, but it’s a sign of how much I’ve enjoyed this that I feel I’ve still got plenty of red dead left in me. 

GOTY

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Baring said:

This is all well and good until the bloody thing gets run over by a train while she's watching... I had to quickly distract my daughter while I resurrected it via my previous save.