Jump to content
rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Wait and see. Most of the preview videos of people who played two weeks ago are saying it's better than any game that's come before it.

 

And GTA4 was a 98 Metacritic Oscar-worthy masterpiece. The gaming press have consistently shown themselves to be wholly unreliable, hype-swallowing fanboys when it comes to Rockstar's output.

 

I like the trailer and am excited for the game but I'll believe the hysterical hype when the disc is in my console and not a moment sooner.

  • Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VN1X said:

I'm cynical about all those types of mechanics as that's the sort of stuff that bores me to tears. I honestly couldn't care less about those 'features' in videogames as they, in an ironic turn of events, only serve to break my immersion. The same can be said for the plethora of other meaningless side-activities as well such as poker, knife-play, horse shoe throwing, etc. I know they can mostly be ignored (and that's exactly what I'll be doing when I get my hands on RDR2) but it's adding unnecessary filler content to an otherwise killer package. 

 

At the end of the day I only care about moment-to-moment gameplay so I'm hoping that it's still as refined as the previous title, without introducing any more contrived mechanics that break the flow of the experience. 

 

I'm the opposite. Rockstar's gameplay is generally very shallow and samey, so the world for me becomes the main thing. Being able to take a break and do some different stuff makes the world come alive. I can't wait to hunt in those forests before I return to town soaking wet and smelly to play some cards while a thunderstorm rages outside.

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Majora said:

I like the trailer and am excited for the game but I'll believe the hysterical hype when the disc is in my console and not a moment sooner.

 

When the disk is in your console and you’ve installed the huge day one patch, you mean. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the cocksuckers would just make the whole fucking thing a Deadwood knock off. None of this R* side mission shit - just cutting cheese, selling pussy, and feeding the latest hooplehead to Wu's pigs. A man can fucking dream.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Broker said:

 

There’s no publisher pressure on Rockstar to finish anything quickly. 

 

I never said there was. Originally said I thought Rockstar would actually make good/valid use of the size, but it would encourage others to get sloppy (such as publishers ever increasing pressure on devs, in general, making it a corner they could cut to try and keep up.) Still, @Mr. Gerbik makes some valid points, so I’m going to walk back my alarmist trumpeting. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hub2 said:

LTTP: Do we know when the PC version is planned for yet? Any rumours or leaks?

 

No word yet but I think it’s a dead cert it will come.  The strategy of getting people to double or triple dip on GTA V worked out quite well for them last time.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's the best place to pre-order a physical copy of this piece of shit?  Asking for a friend.

 

.....so hyped for this!! :D

 

I'm thinking of just going to the supermarket friday morning as my postman always comes late in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, barkbat said:

I wish the cocksuckers would just make the whole fucking thing a Deadwood knock off. None of this R* side mission shit - just cutting cheese, selling pussy, and feeding the latest hooplehead to Wu's pigs. A man can fucking dream.

 

Anyone who disagrees sucks cock by choice.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

@Cool BenI'd imagine it doesn't matter where you order it from if your postie is always late.

 

Yes true, but if i decide to wait for him I want it as cheap as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, simms said:

 

No word yet but I think it’s a dead cert it will come.  The strategy of getting people to double or triple dip on GTA V worked out quite well for them last time.  

 

 

PC version in a year or so then, and a next-gen PS5/XB2 version in two years with some extras? Dat triple dip money

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barkbat said:

But what if you miss the postman?

 

How do you miss the postman, do you guys have to wait outside for your mail? mine will just post stuff through the door.

 

Trust me, I won't be doing the school run that day!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's enough in that trailer to convince me this is GTAV all over again, and I wasn't a fan of GTAV. Just about everything in it has an almost direct correlate. I can see the gameplay being just as controlled in terms of what you can actually do in missions, with a lot of jobs that really do feel like work, and tons of padding (bathing, chopping wood, watching a show) to add detail but not depth. 

 

The only things that really stand out are the potential for more minor scripted events as you wander about to keep things interesting, and this feature that everyone remembers you. If the latter turns out to be anything really significant I'll be surprised.

 

So definitely not tempted, which I usually am by a new Rockstar game, only to regret it if I go ahead and buy it.

 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

There's enough in that trailer to convince me this is GTAV all over again, and I wasn't a fan of GTAV. Just about everything in it has an almost direct correlate. I can see the gameplay being just as controlled in terms of what you can actually do in missions, with a lot of jobs that really do feel like work, and tons of padding (bathing, chopping wood, watching a show) to add detail but not depth. 

 

The only things that really stand out are the potential for more minor scripted events as you wander about to keep things interesting, and this feature that everyone remembers you. If the latter turns out to be anything really significant I'll be surprised.

 

So definitely not tempted, which I usually am by a new Rockstar game, only to regret it if I go ahead and buy it.

 

Thanks, you might have just saved me some money! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll have to wait and see but from what I've been reading the game offers lots of more emergent type game play in how NPC's react, there appears to be a lot more cause and effect. At the end of the day even if it is just GTAV all over again, I'd say that's easily the best Rockstar game to date with the most enjoyable missions. I'm fairly confident this will be incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One assumes that they won't just have you haring around LA stealing Ford Mustangs carelessly parked on the street. 

 

Presumably you'll have to break into a stable to steal the Mustangs in this game. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

We'll have to wait and see but from what I've been reading the game offers lots of more emergent type game play in how NPC's react, there appears to be a lot more cause and effect. At the end of the day even if it is just GTAV all over again, I'd say that's easily the best Rockstar game to date with the most enjoyable missions. I'm fairly confident this will be incredible.

 

Yeah, I think that's safe to assume. GTAV for me was not really very good and I simply loathed Trevor, such a cliche character to write. Michael and Franklin were, well, boring and the story was meh. It wanted to be a crime drama and it landed way beyond that. But, mission wise, it was not that bad and there was some variation with all the heist preparations and such. 

 

I would really like Rockstar to tone down the craziness of the characters though, they have become too cartoonish. Just settle down and give us real people as much as you can. The main reason for me why John Marston's story was so incredible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GTA is crazy though isn't it, you couldn't have normal characters carrying out those actions without it ending up much more restrictive. At least the wild west lends itself better to that kind of lawlessness.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought GTA V for the second time on my PS4 (for the online) and tried playing the story again for a bit. I was bored by it on the last gen, and I'm so bored the second time round I've barely started. I'm not sure Rockstar know how to make a compelling set of characters, plot and missions. In the PS2 era they didn't really need to, because the strength and novelty of the world got you through and the openness of the missions let you tackle them more loosely.

 

Modern Rockstar, which I really noticed in GTA IV, but which I think is still there in RDR (but where the strength of the world in RDR let us look past the issues) is more obsessed with its ability to write a terrible cliched homage to stuff it didn't fully understand. And then stuffs it full of really proscriptive missions.

 

I really hope they don't do that for this.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Stanley said:

GTA is crazy though isn't it, you couldn't have normal characters carrying out those actions without it ending up much more restrictive. At least the wild west lends itself better to that kind of lawlessness.

 

Yeah, but you could have proper criminals, not caricatures. Besides, with GTAV it kinda felt to me that they were going for a crime drama but they made every situation a satire. It grew old really fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Talk Show Host said:

 

Yeah, but you could have proper criminals, not caricatures. Besides, with GTAV it kinda felt to me that they were going for a crime drama but they made every situation a satire. It grew old really fast. 

What kind of proper criminals behave like GTA characters though? They'd be banged up for life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.