rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Played the first section of this (thanks to gamepass) but I'm less than impressed so far. Slow opening rides on horses, a shoot out which didn't tell me how to select my gun till I had been shot at 3 times and a save option buried away that I couldn't use until after the second mission and had to Google to find out where the option was). I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and will play on a bit but it really isn't the most welcoming game from the first 40ish minutes. 

23 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Played the first section of this (thanks to gamepass) but I'm less than impressed so far. Slow opening rides on horses, a shoot out which didn't tell me how to select my gun till I had been shot at 3 times and a save option buried away that I couldn't use until after the second mission and had to Google to find out where the option was). I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and will play on a bit but it really isn't the most welcoming game from the first 40ish minutes. 

It's a slow burner in general. But it will pick up after the snowy section. Don't give up on it yet as the game is awesome.

• Upvote 3

As the game opens up there's less and less of those shootout action sequences with their tutorial-grade railroading and constant nag prompts, and more wandering around looking for birds sneaking up on bandits and decoding clues to buried treasure, which is where the game's strengths lie.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

If you felt the need to come on here and tell us all why you don't like it 40 minutes into a game you can put 100 hours into easily, I'd stop now. For all our sakes.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 3

50 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

If you felt the need to come on here and tell us all why you don't like it 40 minutes into a game you can put 100 hours into easily, I'd stop now. For all our sakes.

That comes across as unnecessarily arsey. This is a discussion forum and I'm equally entitled to post my impressions of the game here as much as anyone else. 

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

For better or worse, this is a game that Rockstar want you to sit back and soak in. The old “smash past the tutorials, skip everything I can” approach doesn’t work. It’s a like quicksand - the more you struggle, the more bogged down you feel. Just take your time, make sure you pay attention to the tutorial stuff and see how it goes. 

I’ve restarted it and without any desire to get stuck in this time around seem to be enjoying it a lot more. The altered controls Boozy posted really help, too. 

I think one of the things I didn’t like about it the first time is you can see from the get it feels like it’s all going to go to pot. Bad decision after bad decision, as everyone tries to convince Dutch to stop pushing their luck. It really cast a shadow over it all for me. I’m more interested in just enjoying the ride this time around. 

• Upvote 2

I failed miserably on my initial attempts to play it on original release. I couldn't understand any of the controls, nor the logic of why they'd been designed the way they had been. To be honest, I still don't really understand it. 

But, something in my mindset changed, and - for me at least - all those issues completely fell by the wayside as I got immersed in the thing. 

As of this moment, it's one of the great, great pieces of entertainment I've ever had. I think it's absolutely astonishing just how much I can just get sucked into the place. It has a huge amount of stuff that is just plain wrong, but it just doesn't matter anymore. 

• Upvote 3

Am currently mucking about in Valentine and enjoying myself. 

I can’t make heads or tails of the HDR, though. You turn it off and it looks like a completely different game. Much, much more saturated in SDR.  Very odd that they look so different. 

I appreciate having a photo mode this time, though:

03-C77-A65-7-FA4-4614-BD98-1281169-F9050

976133-AE-3553-4-B2-D-83-AC-6-B37-BEB1-C

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Am currently mucking about in Valentine and enjoying myself. 

I can’t make heads or tails of the HDR, though. You turn it off and it looks like a completely different game. Much, much more saturated in SDR.  Very odd that they look so different.

The HDR is still not quite right after the fix, according to Digital Foundry. Still loads better than what it was at launch though. 

The HDR in this is an absolute joke, always has been. The game looks better in SDR, because it was made for SDR. 

• Upvote 1

Figured I'd give this another go now it's on game pass. 

First time around, play 30 minutes, get to the bit where you find a woman and burn the barn down, then had to go and do something else. Left the console (Xbox one X) to go to sleep, come back, game has crashed, have to do the boring "follow two guys on a horse" bit again. 

Fine, I can give it another go. Boot a new game, do it again, get to the bit where the guy jumps you in the barn and the button prompts are broken so can't actually do the fight without restarting the whole thing again, for a second time in three hours.

This game is a bunch of railroady broken fucking shite, isn't it?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Isaac said:

First time around, play 30 minutes, get to the bit where you find a woman and burn the barn down, then had to go and do something else. Left the console (Xbox one X) to go to sleep, come back, game has crashed, have to do the boring "follow two guys on a horse" bit again. 

Fine, I can give it another go. Boot a new game, do it again, get to the bit where the guy jumps you in the barn and the button prompts are broken so can't actually do the fight without restarting the whole thing again, for a second time in three hours.

Nah it's a sublime masterpiece. 

EDIT: Bit troll-y my response there. But I chucked it on again last night and just wandered around the post game landscape doing a bit of fishing for 3 hours and it just flew by. I love it so so much. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Think you just got unlucky.

@Thor Did you play on Xbox? I don’t think I’m turning the HDR off properly. Even when I disable HDR at the system level I can still play around with the settings in game. Maybe I need to reboot the game?

I'm really impressed with Rockstar and how their games can be played on anything from a potato to an expensive rig

The low settings make the game look early 2000's.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

I'm really impressed with Rockstar and how their games can be played on anything from a potato to an expensive rig

The low settings make the game look early 2000's.

Beautiful. Think I might have to switch to potato settings from now on. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/05/2020 at 23:40, Thor said:

The HDR in this is an absolute joke, always has been. The game looks better in SDR, because it was made for SDR. 

They retro fitted the HDR in, but it's not too bad. I'm using the settings below which makes it look better than SDR imo.

20200510_211714.png

I think you should set peak brightness to whatever your TV’s maximum brightness is in nits, and paper white to whatever looks OK.

I think paper white is meant to be the brightness of a white object that’s exposed to the light but not glowing. By my logic that means paper white should be as bright as SDR allows. They say to calibrate an SDR display for 100 nits in a dark room and 200 nits in the dark, so putting “paper white” somewhere between those two should give you a decent result.

Edit - Game Mode of course. Cinematic Mode just gives you the equivalent of an SDR image with your TV backlight turned up all the way.

• Upvote 1

On 07/05/2020 at 21:28, HarryBizzle said:

I tried carrying on with my save and can’t make heads or tails of this, so have restarted. 

Does anyone actually use the Cinematic HDR mode? It’s incredibly dull and washed out on my telly. 

And does someone have a link to the post which details how to adjust the settings to make it control a bit better?

Those were my control recommendations back when it came out and I still use them now for Online. Seem to work pretty well for me. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Meerman said:

They retro fitted the HDR in, but it's not too bad. I'm using the settings below which makes it look better than SDR imo.

It’s just odd how different it is to SDR. If you watch this on your TV and skip to 9 mins there’s a side by side comparison:

I’ve decided it’s not worth wasting any more time on. I like the HDR effects and even though the desaturation is a bit annoying, you quickly get used to it.

@Alex W. The peak brightness setting then has a 10% drop off in game, for some bizarre reason. I’ve got it set to about 2500 on my OLED.

@pinholestar Thanks, I found them and actually reposted them at the top of the page. I then adjusted them to the ones Boozy posted which are not really that different to yours but they also felt fine so I didn’t bother changing them back.

I’m haven’t done anything in this that I didn’t do the first time around except for a couple of bounties but am having a great time with it. I think when I first played it I tried to get out and explore the world in Chapter 2, not realising you’re still basically in the tutorial and kept running into hurdles.

Finished and restarted. Even only in Chapter 2 I'm discovering stuff I missed last go. This is an exploration game tour de force. Spending more time in camps chatting and over hearing conversations missed. Hearing Uncle singing drunken dirty songs. Reading newspapers full of clues and backstory to things to be discovered. Rockstar must have a flow chart/ room full of red string the size of a small city for the hidden stuff that links everything together. 

• Upvote 2

I've also recently restarted just to see what it looks like on an OLED and I'm finding it more engaging in these early stages now that I know the characters so well. The Blackwater allusions in the background have so much more significance now. It's heartbreaking to see certain characters full of hope and trust, but it adds more pathos to every scene. As a narrative, it really is one of the very best in gaming and it's probably the best 'cinematic' game ever made. There's a depth to it which is revealing new layers on a second playthrough. While I have played a lot of games with more mechanical depth on a second run, there are very few with characters as rich as these. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I've also recently restarted just to see what it looks like on an OLED and I'm finding it more engaging in these early stages now that I know the characters so well. The Blackwater allusions in the background have so much more significance now. It's heartbreaking to see certain characters full of hope and trust, but it adds more pathos to every scene. As a narrative, it really is one of the very best in gaming and it's probably the best 'cinematic' game ever made. There's a depth to it which is revealing new layers on a second playthrough. While I have played a lot of games with more mechanical depth on a second run, there are very few with characters as rich as these. 

Yes! It's the slow burn of the thing. Just slowly watching one by one everyone lose faith in Dutch as he spirals out of control. It's similar to those early seasons of The Walking Dead where the show used its long form nature to tell a zombie story in a way it hadn't really been seen before. This story couldn't have been told as effectively in an hour and a half, and couldn't have been told as well without giving you the chance to go and mingle and chat with everyone at your own pace. 

As much as everyone says it's just a linear cinematic series of missions, the game is as brilliant as it is because of the player's agency in the story. 

The camp parties are amazing things - you'll never see everything happening on one sitting, and each time you play I'm fairly sure I've seen new ones. It's watching Javier play the guitar - I swear the fingering is absolutely spot on for most it too. It's Shaun drunkenly woo'ing Karen into bed and it all ending a little quicker than probably either wanted (and Shaun calling me a pervert after listening in :p ). 

Right, this has been bugging me for a very long time with the PC version, and I've not been able to sort it out. I suspect it's something to do with the shift to 60fps, but I'm not tech savvy enough with these sorts of things. Now, the majority of the time, the game looks gorgeous. It's nice and smooth and works fine. 

So, the easiest thing I can say is take a look at this the beginning part of an early level: 'Polite Society, Valentine Style' on PS4 first:

Looks great - well, aside from Arthur's questionable attire, but that's beside the point. Everything's animated pretty nicely.

Now, take a look at the PC version:

The girls' dresses, plus things like the laundry on the line are stuttery and nasty :(

And I cannot see how this can be solved. It's like a really shit version of what some devs do with far away things and animate them at lower fps compared to the foreground stuff, but - for me at least - it's one of those things that annoys me enormously.

I'm going to assume there isn't an answer to this and I'll obviously live with it, but if someone does have an idea, then I'm all ears (and eyes).

Bear in mind, I've fucked around with the games settings loads (Vulkan, DX12, lower settings, refresh rates etc), and nothing does the trick.  It's a terribly small thing in the grand scheme of things, but nonetheless it's bothersome to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

And I cannot see how this can be solved. It's like a really shit version of what some devs do with far away things and animate them at lower fps compared to the foreground stuff, but - for me at least - it's one of those things that annoys me enormously.

I'm going to assume there isn't an answer to this and I'll obviously live with it, but if someone does have an idea, then I'm all ears (and eyes).

I'd like to think there's an ini file edit that can sort that. But I know exactly what you mean, it's why I gave up on Halo 5 on the One X, it does the exact same thing and with that game being an FPS it's fucking criminal that it happens. If it's not fixable on the PC version of this, then I'll just stick with my PS4 version and be glad I didn't waste money double-dipping.

On 11/05/2020 at 14:59, Thor said:

I'd like to think there's an ini file edit that can sort that. But I know exactly what you mean, it's why I gave up on Halo 5 on the One X, it does the exact same thing and with that game being an FPS it's fucking criminal that it happens. If it's not fixable on the PC version of this, then I'll just stick with my PS4 version and be glad I didn't waste money double-dipping.

Stick with the PS4 version. I've just been my usual self and bought it again on PS4. Sure, it's 30fps, but it's so much better optimised than the PC versions. It's not optimised to run well at 60fps without some real issues with some of the detail stuff. Lip sync goes slightly 'nanas from time to time. The aformentioned fabric animations. 

Don't get me wrong - stuff like the improved water effects are amazing on the PC version for sure. But for every wonderful effect, there's an element that causes the quality to fuck right up and in turn fuck me off.

And it really doesn't look like they're going to improve it that much more - most of the recent patches have been for online. And god knows I'm not going to be playing that.

I much prefer it on console, and starting to replay it again on there cements that. 

• Upvote 1