Jump to content
Rowan Morrison

Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Blunted said:

 

I lurk on eBay, gumtree and Facebook marketplace mainly, hoping to spot underpriced stuff before anyone else. Sound on Sound readers ads are worth watching too.

 

Off to see/probably buy that Poly 800 tomorrow evening. Ended up down a YouTube rabbit hole  in bed last night and have now convinced myself I need a Cazio CZ101 too though...

 

I yet to find a decent deal on facebook or gumtree, its always overpriced I find or when I find something its either missing parts or broken from experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a fuckton of wading through total shit to find the odd decent thing, that's for sure. Casio portatones by the ton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And in news that would surprise no one that knows me in real life, I present in meme form this evening's synth based activity:

 

470006510_HighwayExitDrift04062018215535.thumb.jpg.5ff7eed33a9de528c078a39d92d97697.jpg

 

Picked up a JX-03 for 200 instead, which I think is the sensible choice. I don't have to revise my entire setup to fit it in for a start...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk of bargains on Gumtree just made me check on spec, where I found a just-listed mint Roland A300 Pro for £45. Looks like a pretty superior compact midi controller which I could use with Volcas or other desktop bits, and quite a bit cheaper than a new Keystep.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

…and just like that, I have a midi controller. Boxed with all the cables and manuals. Dude even delivered for free.

 

171C8F0C-DEB4-4A4A-AB9C-ED5A7C7460EF.thumb.jpeg.94c019e2d42e3eee0dd73a6864f304a3.jpeg

 

Haven’t had a chance to plug it in yet (still getting my kids to bed), but it looks and feels mint, if a bit dusty. 

 

EDIT: All working. Nice action, need to tinker with the velocity curves a bit. Setup looks utterly bewildering.

 

EDIT EDIT: Just spent half an hour bashing out buzzy two-hand versions of Rydeen in Helm, this thing is lovely to play, even if I don't understand 90% of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought a Korg SQ-1 sequencer, largely because I have an order in for an Onde Magnétique cassette synthesiser. Most of what I've been fiddling with since getting into this earlier this year has been based around tape, electroacoustics and field recordings, so I quite like the idea of being able to manipulate raw material through an instrument connected to a nice effects chain. The sequencer isn't essential but it's reasonably cheap and possibly quite useful for other things, like the Koma Elektronik Field Kit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone use the cheapo Kenable MIDI cables from Amazon? Are they alright? At £2 a pop for a 1m one, they're a lot cheaper than the amazon competition.

 

MIDI's digital data, so I know cable noise and all the audiophile hokum here isn't an issue - more interested in things like the din plugs fitting properly and the cables not wearing out. Although I guess decent shielding might be a good idea to prevent them causing audio interference, even if the MIDI signal itself is unaffected.

 

I confess being slightly tempted by the fancy orange and black Roland cables with the lifetime guarantee, which are only £1 more than Amazon's best-selling cheapish cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Does anyone use the cheapo Kenable MIDI cables from Amazon? Are they alright? At £2 a pop for a 1m one, they're a lot cheaper than the amazon competition.

 

MIDI's digital data, so I know cable noise and all the audiophile hokum here isn't an issue - more interested in things like the din plugs fitting properly and the cables not wearing out. Although I guess decent shielding might be a good idea to prevent them causing audio interference, even if the MIDI signal itself is unaffected.

 

I confess being slightly tempted by the fancy orange and black Roland cables with the lifetime guarantee, which are only £1 more than Amazon's best-selling cheapish cable.

 

All my MIDI cables are cheap junk that's still working after 20 years, so I'd just go for it. Actually I do have a fancier long one for special occasions, but otherwise it's reliable crap all the way. Of course crap from 20 years ago might be more robust than today's modern crap, I couldn't say.

 

One consideration is that some cheaper MIDI cables can be wired just for MIDI, which means they don't work if you later want to use them for DIN sync.

 

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Just bought a Korg SQ-1 sequencer [...] The sequencer isn't essential but it's reasonably cheap and possibly quite useful for other things, like the Koma Elektronik Field Kit.

 

Do you have a Field Kit? I'm sorely tempted by it, more so than the FX version. I've got an Ears in my modular rack for contact mic experiments, but the Field Kit would expand all that significantly.

 

The SQ-1 is a gem IMO - I've also got a Doepfer Dark Time, which in many ways looks like a premium alternative, but in practice the SQ-1 is far more usable and malleable, and a quarter of the price. The Doepfer delivers on connections and ergonomics - it's far better equipped to interact with a modular rack, for example, and the knobs are great (the switches are fiddly, though) - but it has nothing to compete with being able to 'play' the SQ-1 buttons, for example. This is all from a CV perspective, I understand it's more limited with MIDI.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rowan Morrison said:

 

Do you have a Field Kit? I'm sorely tempted by it, more so than the FX version. I've got an Ears in my modular rack for contact mic experiments, but the Field Kit would expand all that significantly.

 

The SQ-1 is a gem IMO - I've also got a Doepfer Dark Time, which in many ways looks like a premium alternative, but in practice the SQ-1 is far more usable and malleable, and a quarter of the price. The Doepfer delivers on connections and ergonomics - it's far better equipped to interact with a modular rack, for example, and the knobs are great (the switches are fiddly, though) - but it has nothing to compete with being able to 'play' the SQ-1 buttons, for example. This is all from a CV perspective, I understand it's more limited with MIDI.


I don't have a Field Kit yet. It's on a small shopping list but I'm trying to be reasonably strict with myself and use whatever I happen to buy before getting more kit. I liked the look of the Dark Time but I just can't see myself paying £400 or so for one- the SQ-1 is cheap enough for me to not worry about underusing a big investment and small enough to keep on my (ever-crowded) desk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:


I don't have a Field Kit yet. It's on a small shopping list but I'm trying to be reasonably strict with myself and use whatever I happen to buy before getting more kit. I liked the look of the Dark Time but I just can't see myself paying £400 or so for one- the SQ-1 is cheap enough for me to not worry about underusing a big investment and small enough to keep on my (ever-crowded) desk.

 

Yeah, for most sequencing requirements the SQ-1 is an excellent choice. The DT has loads of inputs and outputs for more sophisticated cross-patching (e.g. reset in/out, and CV in for transposition), and is as well-engineered and robust as you might expect from Doepfer, but I'd say it's very much a product from the pre-SQ / Beatstep era. It's in an awkward middle ground now, halfway between the budget options and stuff like the Cirklon. I probably wouldn't buy one nowadays, but I keep it because sequencers are always useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a chance to have a proper play with the JX now, it's lovely. I don't think I'd have a chance of identifying it from the real thing tbh. A couple more notes polyphony (like the original) would be nice, but 4 is enough for the vast majority of my cack handed keyboard mashing.

 

I think I'm now pretty much sorted with my setup. Synth-wise anyway.

 

Screenshot_20180607-104000__01.thumb.jpg.3df8fa54f06346dbf841e6afc9626948.jpg

 

Evolver on bass/lead

Preen on assorted FM duties

JX on pads/arps/non-FM 80s noises

KS Rack (off to the side) on general purpose stuff

MPC sequencing and drums

 

The only slight* issue I have now is that my wee mixer only takes 8 inputs and I need 10 (or 12 if I'm using both sets of outs on the KSR). Just waiting to break it to the Mrs that I'll be spending yet more cash on what was "finished" a couple of months ago...

 

* - not slight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, thanks to Rowan’s old Volcas, my journey has now begun. Grabbed the Tony Horgan guidebooks for them, as the manuals are pretty inadequate. I can’t help but be amused at how each Volca has made necessary UI compromises to fit the form factor, but those compromises seem to be completely different on each unit, so there’s almost no transferable knowledge. 

 

I’ve mainly been playing with the Beats so far, it’s stupidly fun. Step programming is really intuitive, and it’s just great fun layering a rhythm up. It’s also capable of being surprisingly melodic, if you tune the toms and give them a long decay, or individually motion sequence the speed of some of the PCM sounds (Claves and Agogo in particular).

 

The snare is a disaster, though. Found this article which shows the waveform with/without the C78 fix, which shows why it’s so damn crackly. They also advocate replacing a bunch of resistors, but that seems to be about making it more 808-like - no need for that, I’m happy for it to have its own character, provided that character is not a mouse farting down an old telephone. Time to buy a soldering iron.

 

Oh, and it turns out kids love drum machines.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.